What information do I need to use VPN's on 8.1?

majdi suliman

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
i live in uae, after a long wait, windows finally gave us the vpn feature.but, whats a shame is i dont know how to use it...
like, should there be an application that i install and get the data that i should put in >settings>vpn>profile?
please i need this really quick.

Last edited by a moderator:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: windows phone 8.1 vpn

You need the IP address of the VPN gateway/concentrator you are trying to reach.
Then you need to know the VPN protocol supported by said VPN gateway.
You also need to know what the challenge/authentication method is.
Additionally, you MAY need to know the internal DNS domain for the target VPN.
Also, for the Win8.1 VPN client, you need to know what subnets inside the destination network you want to reach.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My work uses Junos Pulse for VPN and unlike Windows 8.1, WP8.1 doesn't list it as a built in option. So when I got the WP8.1 update yesterday, I was sincerely surprised when I found a Junos Pulse app in the store. I just downloaded it and it showed up when adding a VPN profile. The annoying thing is the "Download an SSL VPN app from the Store" link doesn't do anything other than launch the store. I expected it to give me a list of available VPN apps in the store (like when looking for lens, wallet, or social hub apps.)

This doesn't really help anyone really, but I just wanted to share my experience with it.

Alij382

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I know what Majdi is talking about. I live in the UAE as well, and there have always been VPN apps for android and iOS that establish and set up themselves on your phone, so that they connect automatically. The use of this is because a lot of the services offered worldwide are blocked here in the UAE including Skype, Viber, and VOiP services. So that's his question, he doesn't have a company or a readily-available account and password, he just wants something that'll make him seem that's he's not in UAE.

Over & out.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
this is exactly what i need. alij382

Then you are going to need a 3rd party app. the VPN in 8.1 is for point to point tunneling. You need an app that someone has written to VPN into their own network outside your country for accessing blocked content. That is absolutely not the function of the built in VPN, UNLESS you know the settings for the network you wish to connect to.

majdi suliman

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Then you are going to need a 3rd party app. the VPN in 8.1 is for point to point tunneling. You need an app that someone has written to VPN into their own network outside your country for accessing blocked content. That is absolutely not the function of the built in VPN, UNLESS you know the settings for the network you wish to connect to.

so what do u suggest i do?

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
We dont have SSTP or PPTP support? C'mon, how am I going going to ditch my laptop if i want to listen to pandora?!

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
We dont have SSTP or PPTP support? C'mon, how am I going going to ditch my laptop if i want to listen to pandora?!

I was very disappointed with this as well, I was hoping to finally push 8.1 for my business clients after years of waiting. Ever since the WM6 and WMDM days most companies have switched to other products. Not that those had VPN, but they could be joined to a domain and controlled easily and securely, but to day there is more of a need for VPN.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes