Samsung ATIV S - Windows Phone 8.1

SROSeaner

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have been combing through various threads on here and other information on the Internet regarding upgrading my Samsung ATIV S to the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview.

I've delayed doing it in case there are major issues, and worry about "bricking" my ATIV S.

One thing that has caught my attention is firmware versions. Here is my phone's stats:

Model: Samsung SGH-T889M
Carrier: Rogers Communications (Canada)
OS Version: 8.0.10521.155
Firmware revision number: 2212.13.11.2
Hardware revision number: 15.3.1.0

I've been seeing firmware versions for this model as high as 24xx.xx.xx.x

Can anybody confirm if my firmware is ancient or not? Am I at risk of bricking my phone? I did read in the developer preview warning that I cannot go back to previous version of Windows Phone 8 should something go wrong and I need to reset.

Thanks for any feedback, and if something is already posted specific to this, please direct me there as I obviously missed the post in my research.

Sean

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung Ativ S is a European i8750, works perfectly on 8.1 apart from the well known camera problem.

Model: Samsung GT-I8750
OS Version: 8.10.12359.845 (after update off course, before that 8.0.10521.155, during update it goes to .166 at first)
Firmware revision number: 2424.13.10.1 (official GDR3, GDR2 was 2424.13.5.1)
Hardware revision number: 15.15.1.0

Not much resemblance to your version, but this may be useful for other i8750 owners anyway.

At first I used GDR3 preview with the GDR2 firmware, but that gave problems after a hard reset (flash memory partitioning problem). Don't do this, I needed to flash GDR2 back into it!

brandonr416

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same phone on Telus though and I'm losing my patience but I also don't want to risk ruining my phone or running an OS that's not stable. Does anyone know the time frame for this particular model on Telus to receive this update, if at all ? I know Nokia 1020 on Telus got this update OTA but i'm afraid that Samsung Ativ S will not get it at all. Has anyone successfully updated the DP 8.1 on this phone/Provider?

Model: Samsung SGH-T889M
Carrier: Telus (Canada)
OS Version: 8.0.10521.155
Firmware revision number: 2212.13.11.2
Hardware revision number: 15.3.1.0

Anirask

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I've updated my ATIV S to 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1 since launch and the phone works very well.

1 piece of advice though. DO NOT wipe the phone after you update. If it moves your config you are fine but if your phone is reset to factory, you lose an APN setting that allows the phone to do Internet Sharing. Even entering the APN's in manually will not fix the issue.

Sadly, since these aren't Nokia devices, we don't have access to the app that will configure the phone properly for Telus either.

I've reached out to both Telus and Samsung multiple times over Twitter. Samsung never replies and Telus points me to their "most recent update" page.

Frankly, I'm debating dropping money to get the properly supported 635 until the next flagship Lumia drops on Telus.

el_mac

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've updated my ATIV S to 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1 since launch and the phone works very well.

1 piece of advice though. DO NOT wipe the phone after you update. If it moves your config you are fine but if your phone is reset to factory, you lose an APN setting that allows the phone to do Internet Sharing. Even entering the APN's in manually will not fix the issue.

Sadly, since these aren't Nokia devices, we don't have access to the app that will configure the phone properly for Telus either.

I've reached out to both Telus and Samsung multiple times over Twitter. Samsung never replies and Telus points me to their "most recent update" page.

Frankly, I'm debating dropping money to get the properly supported 635 until the next flagship Lumia drops on Telus.

i've got the same problem with my ATIV S. after gdr1 8.1 and a factory reset something is wrong in my apn settings. so i don't have data connection at all. even when i insert the manual settings in apn nothing happened. don't know what to do ? a downgrade to 8 maybe ?

Dadimar10

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
i've got the same problem with my ATIV S. after gdr1 8.1 and a factory reset something is wrong in my apn settings. so i don't have data connection at all. even when i insert the manual settings in apn nothing happened. don't know what to do ? a downgrade to 8 maybe ?

I have the same problem with my Ativ S GT-I8750, it?s an open phone bought in Iceland. Firmware: 2424.13.11.2 OS: 8.10.12397.895. I updated it a long time ago and it has been running smoothly until it started showing up as a malfunctioning USB device in my computer. To cover all corners i factory reset the OS and after that i can?t get any data connection working and the USB problem is still there. I noticed that it charges perfectly fine but i have to keep pressure on the USB cable to get the USB connection working correctly. I guess the only way to fix the issue with the APN settings would be a roll back to WP 8 and start it all over again, but i can?t find any info on how to do that. Do any of you know how i roll the phone back to WP8? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Had the same issue with my ATIV S Neo. I reentered the apn settings for internet and it works. Notoriously though, MMS is completely screwed no matter what you do. Internet sharing as well is fried. It's a shame, because I loved the phone and it's become nearly unuseable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes