GPS through bluetooth in car

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
My adventures using my 925 with 8.1 through Bluetooth while driving continue. When the GPS gives voice instruction they are passed through Bluetooth and I can hear them through the speakers. Thus, radio is continuously interrupted. Is there a way to disable the Bluetooth connect functionality of GPS so that I could hear the GPS' voice instructions whole listening to car's radio? There is also the documented lag, which adds to the issue.
On my Lumia 710 with 7.8 the GPS was not going through Bluetooth, so I did not have to deal with this annoyance.
Thanks.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is a change in 8.1. I noticed it yesterday. I like the feature since I don't have Bluetooth on my radio but I have a Bluetooth visor thing which is louder then my phone. You could always downgrade to 8.0

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
On Bluetooth advanced setting, there is a checkbox 'use alternative method to connect to BT'. When it is checked, it will router this kind of audio, but not music, through BT phone profile. When unchecked, it will router the audio through normal A2DP profile (BT stereo). My car stereo doesn't support A2DP profile. So I have this checked and like it this way. If your car has A2DP profile support, uncheck this box.

ilektrolo

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Downgrade is not an option. And others with this opinion are totally wrong. Lets close the forum with 'negative' threads and leave it open only for positive comments and have two sticky topics for the others to downgrade or if they are not happy to buy an iPhone or an android device.
My friendly opinion and this is not just for you.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I tried both ways to no avail. GPS voice cuts through Bluetooth/car stereo always. I appreciate the suggestion.

Which GPS Software are you using? I tend to use the Nokia Here Drive app and i have disabled the voice instructions within the app.

you may want to do the same or similar depending on which app you use.

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
To respond to ilektrolo: My comments on the voice function of GPS through Bluetooth are not negative per say. It is an observation. I think Microsoft's leap to 8.1 is awesome. Having said that, I always thought that these kind of forums, for better or worse, are set in place to help the community find solutions to a great number of different issues and thus help a company, like Microsoft in this case, to improve usability of their products.

This behavior of the GPS I am experiencing is through HereDrive+.
I do not think disabling the voice would be advisable. At least for myself, listening to voice GPS instructions as oppose to watching a screen while driving, is extremely important for safety issues.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried both ways to no avail. GPS voice cuts through Bluetooth/car stereo always. I appreciate the suggestion.

It seems that this feature is buggy with different GPS systems in cars. Today, I had a chance to try out with a loaner car which comes with BT voice and music. The GPS nav voice comes up in voice profile regardless of the option I mentioned before. This is not case when I'm using my other car that only has BT voice profile.

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am using Here Drive + on my Lumia 521 running WP 8.1 Developers Edition. I was not able to hear the voice through my Bluetooth car stereo speakers. Whether I was listening to my radio, or to Bluetooth music, the sound cuts out at points where I would expect to hear the GPS voice, but there is no voice, just silence. This happens in Bluetooth Audio mode, or GPS through Bluetooth Audio speakers is not supported. Given this, I am surprised to see in this forum that people are complaining that they can hear the voice in their car Bluetooth speakers.

A couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know for sure whether I should be able to hear GPS audio through my automobile speakers when my phone is connected to the radio via BT?
2. Does anyone know of a GPS app that will work in this way, even if Here does not?

gusnewyork

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
All I am suggesting is that there should have been an option for the GPS to be connected or not to Bluetooth. With the lag reported by many through Bluetooth I find that having just the phone announcing direction is clear and immediate, while you get no interruption to your radio/recordings listening. It is just my preference, as I do not need the whole "drama" of interrupting the radio every some seconds to hear the directions through all the car's speakers. Yet, I do want the phone to be continuously connected to Bluetooth for any calls or texts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel