Internet Sharing unavailable on T-Mobile (US) after upgrading to 8.1

ithinkurdumb

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
After upgrading to WP 8.1, when I tried to enable Internet Sharing, it shows a message saying "Add Internet sharing? Your current data plan doesn't include Internet sharing. Do you want to open an app from your mobile operator to add it? Internet sharing uses your cellular data and may incur additional chargers."

If I click yes, it then shows another message saying "Service upgrade required. Your current rate plan does not support sharing your phone's data connection with other devices using Mobile HotSpot for Internet access." with an "Upgrade" button. If I click the upgrade button, it'll open IE and take me to the T-Mobile upsell page.

It was fine with WP8, and I confirmed with T-Mobile that I do have mobile hotspot with my plan. T-Mobile's technical support says that I'll need to use a 3rd-party app to do tethering on a non-T-Mobile phone (which was not the case, at least before WP 8.1). I also tried a Taiwanese SIM card and Internet Sharing works.

Is anyone also experiencing the same problem?

ithinkurdumb

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for pointing that thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/251258-7.htm). I followed the instructions and got stuck, since there's no APN settings available under Cellular + SIM. A similar situation faced by #154.

I also don't think it's because of the same reason. My 920 is factory-unlocked (being a Taiwanese phone) and worked with T-Mobile tethering just fine prior to WP 8.1.

Big thread on the fix in the 920 forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb