The File Manager Looks Cobbled Together and Seems Like Pandering

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hear me out. A separate file manager would be great if they didn't already have One Drive. A phone isn't a PC. It's useless without a network connection of some type. A capitulation of sorts would be to have a Local Storage option in One Drive where you could browse your SD Card and/or flash storage. Local storage would be an offline cache that syncs periodically with One Drive. It allows it to be available offline. If you don't want some files in the cloud (due to expensive mobile bandwidth), there can be a "Don't sync" option at the folder level or "Sync when on Wifi Only".

I'm not 100% opposed to file management on a phone, but MS implementation just seemed cobbled together and it's not very good looking aesthetically. It smacks of reinventing the wheel which just turns Windows phone into a cobbled together mess of different apps that sometimes do the same thing. Why reinvent a file manager when you can just add functionality to One Drive?

Salamy

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand really how you are thinking ??!!!

What is your problem with file manager ??

it is a must in any smartphone, and who said a smartphone isn't a PC ???!!!
Not every one have a PC & most of the time you just have your smartphone not a PC.

Don't think of yourself only every one have different needs, and if you are dealing with one drive others don't use cloud services.

By adding File Manager Windows Phone offering more freedom & power of control for the user.

For me I left Windows Phone to Android because of the file manager but now I believe that Windows Phone 8.1 + File Manager is hard Player in OS game, few months back I wasn't able to lock screen rotation but now the OS is really powerful with so much beauty & control.

for me File Manager is the best step from Microsoft in Windows Phone, my words and what I have said will be translated to figures when the new Windows Phone 8.1 smartphones be available in market .

I believe that Windows Phone 8.1 share will be doubled.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Not every one have a PC & most of the time you just have your smartphone not a PC.

Don't think of yourself only every one have different needs, and if you are dealing with one drive others don't use cloud services.

By adding File Manager Windows Phone offering more freedom & power of control for the user.

For me I left Windows Phone to Android because of the file manager but now I believe that Windows Phone 8.1 + File Manager is hard Player in OS game, few months back I wasn't able to lock screen rotation but now the OS is really powerful with so much beauty & control.

for me File Manager is the best step from Microsoft in Windows Phone, my words and what I have said will be translated to figures when the new Windows Phone 8.1 smartphones be available in market .

I've never owned a smartphone with a file manager, and don't plan on downloading it in the future, so it's not a "must", it's just something that you want.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

You totally didn't read my post. Just admit it. It's okay.

My point is that it seems redundant when they already have One Drive.

pedrodg28

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned a smartphone with a file manager, and don't plan on downloading it in the future, so it's not a "must", it's just something that you want.

All of the guys complaining about having file manager are probably kids that only use their phone for facebook or angry birds, i will tell you a few reason why a file manager is needed: having the ability to rename files, like pictures and videos(which the photo hub DOES NOT have the ability to), having the ability to compress and decompress zip, rar, and other type of files, which is really usefull if you download a lot files, like i do, having one app capable of integrating all the hubs in one: this is where i kill your "we have the hubs for that" argument, by having a file manager, you can open directly any file that the phone is capable of, i like to think that having a file manager is like having a "hub's hub" why the heck do i need to open a different app each time i need to hear a song,view a picture, read a document, or watch a video, when i can have 1 app that does it all?, now kid, if you still can't find use for a file manager, that's ok, keep playing angry birds

And don't come with the "with have the cloud" argument, is plain stupid, under that logic, you need to upload the file to the cloud, do the operation you wanted, then download the file back, which is plain stupid

You totally didn't read my post. Just admit it. It's okay.

My point is that it seems redundant when they already have One Drive.

I agree with you, instead of making it an sepparate app, they should simply integrate it to the onedrive app, as a matter of a fact when i first installed the 8.1 dev preview i went to the onedrive app just to see the file picker in action and for my dissapointment it was the same old app with no new features, i mean come on, third party apps can use the file picker to simulate a filemanger why can't an oficial app?, but Microsoft being Microsoft, it will always fine a way to make easy things complicated

Last edited:

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hear me out. A separate file manager would be great if they didn't already have One Drive. A phone isn't a PC. It's useless without a network connection of some type. A capitulation of sorts would be to have a Local Storage option in One Drive where you could browse your SD Card and/or flash storage. Local storage would be an offline cache that syncs periodically with One Drive. It allows it to be available offline. If you don't want some files in the cloud (due to expensive mobile bandwidth), there can be a "Don't sync" option at the folder level or "Sync when on Wifi Only".

I'm not 100% opposed to file management on a phone, but MS implementation just seemed cobbled together and it's not very good looking aesthetically. It smacks of reinventing the wheel which just turns Windows phone into a cobbled together mess of different apps that sometimes do the same thing. Why reinvent a file manager when you can just add functionality to One Drive?

I do not agree.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree having the file manager accessible through OneDrive is a good idea (identical to Windows 8.1), but they should offer a separate file manager app by default -- for the people who don't know how the OneDrive stuff works. As soon as they figure it out they should be free to remove the default file manager (or keep it).

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually something like the file explorer on Windows 8.1 will be good. It should be the other way around. One drive folders integrated with file explorer.

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes, merging it with OneDrive will be great. But I guess OneDrive and window phone are two different teams - given how slow and buggy window phone team is, I would rather like OneDrive team does only OneDrive

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett