Remote Desktop Preview - what am I doing wrong?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I installed Remote Desktop Preview a few days ago. I made sure that remote access was enabled on my Surface Prob better I did anything. First I tried to connect to my Surface Pro with the name and then the IP address after that didn't within l work. First, with three name, I got a 0x104 error. Then with the IP address I got a 0x204 error. I tried clicking the help link that the error window gives but the MS support page doesn't seem to have anything on it. When there was the article on the Remote Desktop Preview on WPCentral just recently I saw in the comments that a lot of other people weren't able to connect using the app. Does anyone who got Remote Desktop Preview to work know how I can successfully connect to my Surface Pro?

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
What worked for me
Pc name, your pc name exactly as it is shown johnbrown-pc

Username, your Microsoft account email address
Password, your Microsoft account password

Worked for me

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
What do I enable/what should I have enabled under the "allow an app through Windows Firewall" setting?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
What do I enable/what should I have enabled under the "allow an app through Windows Firewall" setting?

I've allowed everything possibly related to remote desktop (with public and private checked) and still no connection. ):|

Could this just be a developer preview issue and not something I'm doing wrong?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I initially had trouble with it as well. The only way it will work for me is using the IP of my laptop. The user name and password have to match an account on the device you are trying to access and remote access has to be enabled for that account.

remote access.JPG

remote access1.JPG

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I initially had trouble with it as well. The only way it will work for me is using the IP of my laptop. The user name and password have to match an account on the device you are trying to access and remote access has to be enabled for that account.

View attachment 68343

View attachment 68344

So when you click "select users" to get to that second screenshot, say you only have an admin account, is that your admin account in the white box? On my Surface Pro I see the "(user) already has access." text below it but I don't see my user account in the white box.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Admin accounts should have access by default. My user account was the one listed in the box. You should also be able to create an account strictly for remote access, but it may be a pain to access your files that way. I guess it depends on what you want to use the remote access for. I just use my normal everyday user account.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I finally got it to work!
wp_ss_20140605_0001 temp.png
It turns out I put in the wrong IP address. I did Start > (typed) IP address and used what that brought up. I was able to fix it by doing right-click start button > Command Prompt (Admin) > (typed) ipconfig and used the IPv4 address under Wireless LAN Adapter.

Now if I could just have a better internet connection then I wouldn't lose connection so frequently, but that's out of my control since I have Time Warner Carp...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes