What really happens when I roll back to WP 8.0?

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I've looked around but haven't found a thread about it yet but what gets affected if I decided to roll back from DP to WP8.0? I've read that I would lose my app data, layout...but what else?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If it's stored on the phone, it will go. The rollback wipes it clean. It puts it at the stage where the initial firmware and OS are written to the phone. When that's done and it restarts, it will be just like new.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You will lose your apps including data (saved games ). Its like flashing your phone back to windows phone 8.0 Though your contacts/emails are linked with your Microsoft ID. Always backup your important data like images/videos and music before flashing/using nokia recovery tool.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If apps on a sd card, will it automatically download them back

Nope. When the phone is set up, it has a unique identifier (which you can't see) and when you install apps to the SD card, it links them to that unique identifier. If you hard reset or flash your phone, that identifier will change and the apps on the SD card will no longer be linked. If it detects apps after this it will tell you they can't be used and must be deleted. Mainly to stop people installing apps to their SD card, letting their friend borrow the card and they copy the app/game to their phone, getting expensive apps or games for nothing.

But your apps will be up there to download again as that's stored in your purchase history.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Nope. When the phone is set up, it has a unique identifier (which you can't see) and when you install apps to the SD card, it links them to that unique identifier. If you hard reset or flash your phone, that identifier will change and the apps on the SD card will no longer be linked. If it detects apps after this it will tell you they can't be used and must be deleted. Mainly to stop people installing apps to their SD card, letting their friend borrow the card and they copy the app/game to their phone, getting expensive apps or games for nothing.

But your apps will be up there to download again as that's stored in your purchase history.

Cool is there an easy way to see what apps I did have loaded onto my phone other than taking a screen shot of my app list?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so, short of writing them down by hand. But for easy reinstalling:

Log into the windowsphone website (in my case Windows Phone (United Kingdom)), go over to where it shows your phone and a menu should pop out. Go into Purchase History and all the apps you've bought/installed will be listed for your reinstallation pleasure.

Just make sure you have the phone set to receive apps over push notification (it lives under the Find my Phone setting, strangely), and make sure the phone is unlocked and the screen on or you'll just get a link emailed to you.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
No problemo. If you come across an app that is "No longer published", you're pretty stuck unfortunately - even if you got hold of the XAP file for it, the store would refuse to install it.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Well I just rolled back and then upgraded to Cyan. Now that I restored from a previous save, 8.1 has also restored my start screen to it's previous state and also is downloaded all my previously loaded apps. Pretty cool.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I just rolled back and then upgraded to Cyan. Now that I restored from a previous save, 8.1 has also restored my start screen to it's previous state and also is downloaded all my previously loaded apps. Pretty cool.

Awesome :smile:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I rolled back and then forward to Cyan. It wasn't too painful. definitely better than waiting around for them to patch it for me :) I always have to have my toys RIGHT NOW! :winktongue:

jammydodger99

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I recently rolled my 1020 back from the 8.1 preview to 8.0 - I found this thread today and thought the information I'd posted already elsewhere might be useful to anyone else considering doing the same.

Most of this seems obvious in hindsight, but I wish I'd known (ie. thought through properly!) all of these things before I started:

1. the sms / settings / photo and video backup built into the phone doesn't work as you'd expect. Back up your documents / music / photos and video's somewhere you can find them manually - ideally a PC rather than onedrive for speed reasons. I made sure my phone system backups were upto date as well as making local copies. Then found that the backup doesn't restore to a rebuilt phone (or if you were to upgrade / replace your Windows phone with another Windows phone) it seems only to restore to the same phone with the same software build. This said my old SMS messages reappeared a day later, but not the photos, videos, apps or music.

2. reinstalling and re-entering all my account credentials / preferences / rss feeds links / podcast sources etc in the different apps was REALLY tedious

3. don't be too precious about remembering how you had your home screen - until 8.1 rolls out to consumers (that should be very soon) you can't hope to put it back as it was because Win 8.0 only allows two large tiles or 4 smaller ones in a row.

4. Reinstalling apps after your phone has been restored to 8.0 isn't as straightforward as similar resets on Android. Navigating direct to the App Store on the phone looked as if all my purchase history had been wiped out - apps I knew I'd paid for under the same Microsoft account were showing with a purchase price. However going to the app store via a desktop browser, showed my full purchase history, and allowed me to select all the apps I wanted to reinstall and "push" them down to the phone.

5. Map downloads for the Here apps need to be downloaded again - as they're around 450MB each you might want to make sure you're on WiFi and have a well charged battery.

6. It probably seems obvious to everyone else, but as well as re-entering all your WiFi networks, you also have to reset your Bluetooth connections, I only realised this as I got in the car to go to work and tried to answer a call through the hands free thing

Hope this helps someone.

Jim

MetalKore

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I had just made the decision to roll back my 1520 . . . Until I happened to read your post. Is there anyway to track MS's progress on a 'fix' for those of us still on the DP?

Thank you Jim for taking the time to write this post!

Brian

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I rolled back and then forward to Cyan. It wasn't too painful. definitely better than waiting around for them to patch it for me :) I always have to have my toys RIGHT NOW! :winktongue:

KUDOS to you, instead of whining (lots of whiners on here) about it, you did something about it.

I did the same thing on Thursday, 5 hours of my life I'll never get back, but worth it. Lumia Cyan stabilizes everything that was wrong with Dev Preview (at least for me). All my apps are on the phone, media (pics, music, videos, docs, maps, etc) on SDcard. I have NO lag - my biggest problem is WPCentral is misbehaving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar