Tutorials : windows phone 8.1 Support L2tp/ipsec VPN now !

ttsaon

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
One of the unannounced changes in Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is the addition of a new VPN protocol.Besides IKEv2, WP8.1 Update 1 now also supports L2TP/IPSec, a somewhat more common protocol.

L2tp/ipsec will be easy use than IKEV2 VPN.

server name: your vpn server ( support l2tp/ipsec)
type: l2tp with IPsec
connect using: user name+password+preshared key

1.jpg

user name: your vpn account
password: your vpn password
preshared key: vpn
then save .
connected.works ok

2.jpg

From How to setup l2tp/ipsec VPN for windows phone 8.1 | l2tp/ipsec vpn for windows phone 8.1

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
doesn't work!
Error code 868
The remote connection wasn't completed because the name of the remote access server didn't resolve

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
yeah this dont work. just constantly trying to connect and nothing. grabbed all my correct details from the ITS department too.

matty032

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
I have been waiting 2 years for IPSEC as well. I asked Cisco when we would have the Anyconnect app for WP. You don't want to know what the answer was. Even though I read that MS, and Cisco had some billion dollar deal going on. Shame MS doesn't have the balls to ask Cisco for Anyconnect. My work along with Anyconnect, also has the Junos Pulse VPN. Which there is an app in the WP store. Junos works great on Android, and iPhone in my company. Of course, the WP version doesn't work. Lol! Neither does Junos Pulse on Windows RT. We WP users can't seem to win even one battle.

Sent from my Windows Phone.

Jessicator

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've been waiting for L2TP support for ages, and now that it's here, I am sorely disappointed. When I try (using the Username, Password, and Shared Secret option), mine just sits there waiting, and the phone becomes mostly useless until I eventually persuade the interface to let me turn off the VPN (a very frustrating process, as the whole network stack and half of the Settings interface appears to just hang while it tries to connect). I'm hoping that my failed attempts will show up in a log on a developer's desk at Microsoft so they can see where my phone is going wrong. I know the VPN works, as I use it every day from my laptop (and sometimes from my Surface RT). Microsoft devs, please feel free to contact me to troubleshoot this further. I would *love* to get this working on my phone. I *think* it could be that my VPN server does not have a corresponding DNS entry, but that's intentional. It works fine from any supported version of Windows, MacOS, iOS, and others. Does anyone know a way to work around this issue? For that matter, if there are any WP devs reading this, it would be *awesome* to be able to modify the hosts file...

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^if you want Microsoft to know about it, I suggest downloading the diagnostics app and have it record a log while your screen freeze up connecting to VPN.

Paul David O

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I also cannot get L2TP to work (1520 with WP8.1 Update 1 but no Cyan firmware yet).
The settings for my supplier are correct (work on Windows, iOS and Android) but WP8.1 Update 1 fails to connect and gives a variety of error codes. The implementation appears to be very buggy with the phone trying to connect when you go into the VPN settings screen which causes it to hang until the VPN connection fails - very frustrating when you are trying to modify settings to experiment. It appears you cannot view/modify VPN account settings while VPN is set to off.
Hope there is a fix for this soon...

easydozo

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried to L2TP/IPsec portal throuhg three different VPN provider and here is the result

1- Hide my *** : working fine
2- VPN in Touch : working fine
3- Private internet Access : Screen freeze , Phone become too slow (sometimes need restart) , and after may be 1 min. I got the following error message

"The VPN server did not respond. Verify that your network has the necessary ports open, or contact your support person for more info. Error code: 809"

So, I guess there is an issue with the provider itself not with Windows phone update !!!!

iitianshenky

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I use Windows phone 8.1 and I live in a college campus. Here in campus we use campus internet which is proxy enabled. Some of the apps like WhatsApp and Skype do not work under proxy network so I am in big trouble. I don't know much about VPN but I heard that other platforms use VPN to make those apps enabled behind proxy. As Windows Phone now supports VPN, can anyone please help me to use the apps behind proxy using the VPN service. Thanks in advance. Please reply.......

Paul David O

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Just updated my 920 to WP8.1 update 1 and that also will not connect to my VPN. Looks like a very flakey VPN implementation in this update (given how many people are experiencing issues with services that work fine on other platforms). Hope there is some official word on this soon and a patch/fix in the works...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss