So there are NO new handsets coming to the U.S. to debut WP 8.1

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I think as far as North America is concerned, Microsoft should sell Windows Phones unlocked and unbranded (i.e. carrier-free) directly), at least the high-end ones. I'm sure AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. are fine with the low and medium-end WP handsets, but the high-end stuff should be direct across the board, i.e. availability, updates, band compatibility, etc.

Since the prospective market for high-end WPs in the US is small, I don't see AT&T or Verizon making much of a fuss about approving unlocked WPs for use on their networks. On the other hand, it'll make life easy for the 1-2% of US smartphone users seeking a high-end Windows Phone.

Things are pretty dry up here in Canada as well, i.e. no Lumia 1520, no Lumia 930, not even 630/635 or even 525. I would much prefer paying the full retail price if I could just buy the bloody handset from Microsoft unlocked and unbranded.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I think as far as North America is concerned, Microsoft should sell Windows Phones unlocked and unbranded (i.e. carrier-free) directly), at least the high-end ones. I'm sure AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. are fine with the low and medium-end WP handsets, but the high-end stuff should be direct across the board, i.e. availability, updates, band compatibility, etc.

Since the prospective market for high-end WPs in the US is small, I don't see AT&T or Verizon making much of a fuss about approving unlocked WPs for use on their networks. On the other hand, it'll make life easy for the 1-2% of US smartphone users seeking a high-end Windows Phone.

Things are pretty dry up here in Canada as well, i.e. no Lumia 1520, no Lumia 930, not even 630/635 or even 525. I would much prefer paying the full retail price if I could just buy the bloody handset from Microsoft unlocked and unbranded.

yes this. At least the Nokia phones after the deal is completed

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
We'll probably all be happier if carriers give the 8.1 updates to existing devices within like a month of the release. I'm thinking something similar to the 930 might be announced for AT&T in late spring. They take their time... hopefully not too much this time!

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think it's clear that Verizon has exclusivity dibs on Icon/930 design and will not allow AT&T to get the 930. Also, the only reason why 930 looks like Icon is because it's a money saving move before complete Microsoft take over. Why spend millions into designing a new phone, when you already have it? $100 says that AT&T is getting a new, exclusive flagship (that we don't know about) sometime after summer.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Unless Sony or HTC come out with a new WP flagship, I'm just gonna wait until the Icon comes to T-Mobile this year. I set countdown that says that the supposed 6-month exclusive for Verizon, ends August 20th.. I've been stubborn in not getting a new phone, i.e. iPhone, Galaxy, for 2 1/2 years now. I suppose I could wait a little longer...

I really don't want that 630. No flash. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2