07-29-2014 11:21 PM
191 ... 45678
tools
    do a hard reset at dont restore. Start from fresh.

Thanks for the advice!! I'm running smooth again.
    07-27-2014 02:10 PM
    The thread title should be changed to:

"WP8.1 Dev Preview - most stable Dev preview of 2014".
    Subtitle: "Xbox team need to do better"

Yes the Dev preview was laggy, but with the cyan update, it is a million times better.
    07-27-2014 02:21 PM
    Due to the added features of Windows Phone 8.1 some of the UI lag was to be expected however the Xbox Music and Xbox Video being laggy is unacceptable, especially when they were working just fine before.

What I've heard is that the lockscreen app noticeably lags on phones with 512 MB RAM but this was to be expected because it was never really meant for 512 MB RAM phones, Rudy Huyn is working on it and he has never disappointed and he is working on the lag issues (check his Twitter).

I really hope Microsoft improves multitasking though, the "resuming" dialogue is very annoying.
    Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk
    07-27-2014 04:49 PM
    But we all know that Cyan isn't going to be everyone's "fix-all" and we know that the Developer Preview is the shipping version of WP 8.1...

I think it's safe to whine.
    DP is NOT the release version. There are no OEM-specific drivers involved with it which is why some models have more bugs than others. HTC, Nokia and Samsung have their own camera firmware, for example. Please, at least know what you're talking about before posting as fact. There are many users here that may not be as well informed.
    07-27-2014 05:54 PM
    DP is NOT the release version. There are no OEM-specific drivers involved with it which is why some models have more bugs than others. HTC, Nokia and Samsung have their own camera firmware, for example. Please, at least know what you're talking about before posting as fact. There are many users here that may not be as well informed.
    so cyan is everyone's 'fix all' for 8.1 lol
    07-27-2014 06:49 PM
    Cyan does bring improvements, but it doesn't fix bad coding. If there is a bug somewhere that creates input lag on the start screen and nowhere else, cyan isnt going to fix that.
    07-27-2014 07:07 PM
    I'm sure the start screen lag is just due to lack of firmware. The rest of the problems though, all apps badly coded mostly by microsoft. Lock screen app beta does have potential if the APIs are open to all devs but the xbox apps are just disgraceful. The three core apps on the phone, music, video and games, how can they be lagging of all things. I agree with the OP about lag, but throughout the whole OS, not really.
    07-27-2014 07:44 PM
    There's no company that sells prototypes and it seems that most
    WP users are those consumers who go online,read, word of mouth info go looking to buy just that PROTOTYPES!!!! Why dl a PREVIEW to the original and expect it to operate like the finished product. If it was completed it would have been dubbed "official" and not "developers preview". So whenever I read posts from people belly-aching about issues it's completely comical knowing that the reason there are issues are solely to correct what was released and future proof any updates or upgrades in the OS so that any current,former or future WP user looking to return in the case of (former) will know they will be returning to a solid, next gen OS that they will have 0 issues to speak of when campaigning the OS to any rival OS user.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    07-27-2014 08:26 PM
    The OS is smooth, is anyone say this is laggy then they are trolling or just plain blind.
    07-27-2014 08:33 PM
    so cyan is everyone's 'fix all' for 8.1 lol
    Cyan is for Nokia only. The DP is Microsoft's 8.1 minus OEM drivers. What is so hard to understand? To my knowledge, Samsung, Huawei or HTC have not named their respective updates.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    Vishnu Hs likes this.
    07-27-2014 08:37 PM
    DP is just that - software only. Expecting retail, out of the box performance from a preview for developers, before OEMs can update firmware to go with it is stupid. If it's laggy, go back to a retail build until it's officially released for your device.
    07-27-2014 08:40 PM
    Cyan is for Nokia only. The DP is Microsoft's 8.1 minus OEM drivers. What is so hard to understand? To my knowledge, Samsung, Huawei or HTC have not named their respective updates.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    probably just samsung firmware update or htc firmware. Nothing extraordinary like bittersweet shimmer and cherry blossom or cool like black and cyan.
    07-27-2014 08:45 PM
    No doubt Windows Phone 8 was great OS.
    It offer very smooth user experience but it lacks features
    But now
    We have almost the the features we want but now OS is not offer smooth lag free experience as WP8.

Start Screen Lag
    Xbox Music lag
    Xbox Video lag
    Xbox Games lag.
    and
    We have another new contender
    Now even our Lock Screen lag.

We have all the official laggiest apps now.

I think
    The problem is MS suddenly became serious about WP and launching too many beta apps one after another.
    The only good recent app which MS launched is 'FILES". Which they forgotten after launch.(Seriously no updates in 2-3 months)

I think it's time MS should focus on quality not quantity.
    No one asked Live Lock Screen.
    but almost every WP users want that they have smooth,fast and fluid XBOX--- M,G.V.
    Hahaha u r alone..im not experiencing anything..
    07-27-2014 08:59 PM
    No doubt Windows Phone 8 was great OS.
    It offer very smooth user experience but it lacks features
    But now
    We have almost the the features we want but now OS is not offer smooth lag free experience as WP8.

Start Screen Lag
    Xbox Music lag
    Xbox Video lag
    Xbox Games lag.
    and
    We have another new contender
    Now even our Lock Screen lag.

We have all the official laggiest apps now.

I think
    The problem is MS suddenly became serious about WP and launching too many beta apps one after another.
    The only good recent app which MS launched is 'FILES". Which they forgotten after launch.(Seriously no updates in 2-3 months)

I think it's time MS should focus on quality not quantity.
    No one asked Live Lock Screen.
    but almost every WP users want that they have smooth,fast and fluid XBOX--- M,G.V.
    I have many complaints on WP but my 1520 doesn't have any smoothness/quickness/fluidity issues. The only lag/stuttering i see is when i try to move a tile from bottom to upper areas of the home but i also have something like 3 or 4 pages on it and the fact that some apps (including some of those you mentioned) take a long time to open but that's been like that forever not since now. I mean, i have mentioned other times that while i need my Android device to compensate for the shortcomings WP has in terms of OS and apps, my Galaxy Note II is almost unusable due to lag and lack of smoothness etc.. WP for me is extremely smooth. In that area is the best experience i had ever. Maybe a hard reset may solve your issues, in part?
    07-27-2014 09:00 PM
    I have many complaints on WP but my 1520 doesn't have any smoothness/quickness/fluidity issues. The only lag/stuttering i see is when i try to move a tile from bottom to upper areas of the home but i also have something like 3 or 4 pages on it and the fact that some apps (including some of those you mentioned) take a long time to open but that's been like that forever not since now. I mean, i have mentioned other times that while i need my Android device to compensate for the shortcomings WP has in terms of OS and apps, my Galaxy Note II is almost unusable due to lag and lack of smoothness etc.. WP for me is extremely smooth. In that area is the best experience i had ever. Maybe a hard reset may solve your issues, in part?
    yeah the lag disappeared after I hard reset and didn't restore on my 620. I think the OP needs to do the same.
    07-27-2014 09:06 PM
    probably just samsung firmware update or htc firmware. Nothing extraordinary like bittersweet shimmer and cherry blossom or cool like black and cyan.
    Those are some interesting names. They might want to call Clairol first because I'm quite sure my wife has hair dyes with those names.
    07-27-2014 09:16 PM
    What a waste, this discussion.
    To start with the OP is using 8.1 DP, not the release version with 8.1 firmware.

Microsoft gives you the ability to preview the release, makes it clear at App Studio there may be various problems and you accept this. Now you speak of 8.1 DP like it is the real deal.
    No other phone platform gives you this ability. How quickly you lose sight of this. You should be thanking MS for letting you preview the update and stop the whining.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-27-2014 09:53 PM
    There is a bottom line here ...

NO two phones are alike ! They have different sets of apps, running on Dev Preview, some coded better than others. Some apps are memory hogs, without proper garbage collection, thus memory becomes fragmented. A good practice (especially on some lower spec'd devices) would be to manage your open apps - if you have 10 apps open in the background, you are more prone to lag. ALSO, reboot your device, once a week, it'll do wonders for the phone.

Learned from my wife's experience, handed my Lumia 920 down to her, pick up the phone & she has anywhere from 5 - 18 instances still open in background. She also never powered her phone OFF. Now that she's powering off once a week, the niggling problems she encountered are gone - & she's still on WinPhone 8.0. She's also learned to close apps, rather than simply hitting the home button.

My Lumia 1520 is on Cyan (since Thursday) too early to tell, long term, but right now it's smooth as butter, very responsive, had 1 instance of 2 second lag since Thursday. Once your device gets the update, you'll see, a lot less lag ... because you're starting fresh w a re-install & because the firmware will be optimized to match the OS.

Patience & peace (both in short supply in the world, today)
    Deadbluesky666 likes this.
    07-27-2014 10:36 PM
    iPhone 5 or whatever they release lately, damn they are far a way behind WP for their unit with dual core, 1gb ram, crappy iOS with the slower web browsing experience i ever met, the battery stay charged 4-5 hours if you are lucky, and the worst is when they release a new phone they put an update to the old unit to get them slower because they want you to buy the last one, at least go with Android if you dont like WP... Sony Xperia Z2 is a great alternative with awesome specs !!!
    Took the words out of my mouth :)
    Next phone will be an iPhone now !
    07-27-2014 11:17 PM
    Guys its a Developer Preview of course there's gonna be a bit of lag here and there wait until they optimize for the devices.
    Last edited by Celldweller97; 07-27-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    07-27-2014 11:21 PM
    This thread just got away from me, too much to read. Gained 6 pages in 2 days.
    Am I missing anything other than random complaints?
    07-27-2014 11:30 PM
    Whatever.. But you can't disagree Xbox apps lag.
    D M C likes this.
    07-27-2014 11:35 PM
    Guys its a Developer Preview of course there's gonna be a bit of lag here and there wait until they optimize for the devices.
    And what if I have cyan (my 925 has it) and the problems aren't gone. my device takes half a second to respond to switch between app list and starscreen. and before you suggest hard reset and not restore, fresh reboot, close apps and all the different things, already did it and the problem persists. I have never been on the preview and this is the first thing I noticed. Here take a look http://1drv.ms/1prYAbc.
    07-28-2014 01:09 AM
    Seriously bro?? Well i dont know about your phone , u may have laggiest WP 8.1 on ur phone but on my 1520 it fluid smooth. I was facing lags in DP8.1 but now they are all gone after i updated to Cyan.
    07-28-2014 03:17 AM
    But they all are running on processors of one family. Its true that camera will improve after cyan update but performance, I doubt.
    07-28-2014 03:37 AM
191 ... 45678