Going from 16gb to 8gb phone- how will the restore work?

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia 822 (8.1.1 dev preview installed) with 16gb of internal memory and a 64gb sd card. My upgrade with Verizon is not until March 2015. I am really iching for a new phone with a better display that officially has updated software/firmware. Verizon is really dragging their feet with updating their current lineup to 8.1. I and am thinking of just buying a Lumia 735 (assuming it will be on Verizon and yes I know I will lose glance) and waiting to see if a real flagship phone comes out next spring when I can officially upgrade with Verizon. My apps currently exceed 8gb on my 822. Can do a backup and restore all my apps on a Lumia 735 which only has 8gb of memory? I assume if I put my sdcard in I can just tell the 735 to use the sdcard for apps and I will have no problem. Has anyone done anything like this? are my assumptions correct? Thanks

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The restore will do all your settings and setup stuff first. Once it gets to the applications, it will start downloading them and once it fills up the rest of them will just throw errors saying not enough space. SD will fix that though

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no full backup and restore in WP. You get apps (which will be downloaded from store) and system settings and home screen layouts. Most app data will be lost. SD card won't help you there. Your contacts and calendar are synced back from cloud. Your local photos will remain in OneDrive if you synced there.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There is no full backup and restore in WP. You get apps (which will be downloaded from store) and system settings and home screen layouts. Most app data will be lost. SD card won't help you there. Your contacts and calendar are synced back from cloud. Your local photos will remain in OneDrive if you synced there.

Ok, I know all that. I am asking if my apps exceed 8gb on my old phone will it have a problem reinstalling all my apps on a 8gb phone with a sdcard from a backup.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
You could elect to not restore a backup and just re-download the apps you really need. Whenever I've done a hard reset I don't restore a backup but still get all my emails, contacts, texts, etc. It all depends on how much and what you need to be restored. Re-installing apps from the store has always worked out well for me.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but that's exactly what the restore does. It just cues up all the apps to download again. It's as if you found all your apps in the store and pressed "Download" except its doing that for you already.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I get that. But if the issue is that he has less space than all the apps will require this way he can pick and choose which apps to download and in what order. Just an option to consider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes