Restored Photos have lost creation date

enomam

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

I recently did a factory reset of my Lumia 920 (currently on Cyan and Developer preview). Prior to doing so, I backed up all my photos to my PC.
I'm now attempting to restore them, but now the creation date is set to "today", so I've effectively lost my photo history. The modification date is correct, but even if I use a tool such as "BulkFileChanger" to change the creation date, once back on the phone, again, the date is reset to today.

Has anyone come across this, or have a solution ?

enomam

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Minor update - the photos have sorted themselves out, but all my videos have been created on the 10th of October still...

enomam

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Super double check - it seems only photos created by the camera are grouped correctly. Photos placed there by third party apps (such as 6tag) are lumped in that single bucket.

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
If you're having trouble with the photos/videos not appearing where you want them, you need to fix all their timestamps.

I haven't had much luck with modifying the files on internal memory (since you're at the mercy of MTP and can't modify files "directly") but if you're on an SD card, simply pop it into your PC and use Bulk Rename Utility (bing it, I can't post links) to get the file created/modified timestamps into alignment (which you can use everything from the file name, exif metadata, or existing timestamps as the source). I've done this and now have successfully migrated the photos/videos from four phones (Palm Pre, LG Android something, HTC Trophy, HTC 8X) over five years to my new Samsung ATIV SE. (I also took the opportunity to rename all of the photos to one pattern so they sort nicely by filename).

It may take a lot of time, especially for all the one-off files with missing timestamps (like anything in Saved Pictures), but if you're OCD like me it's totally worth it.

Final note: If you just change the metadata for a file that Photo hub has already "scanned" then after updating the file you may see it appear twice in your timeline (once in the original area and once in the correct area). So you may want to move the pictures into a subfolder, rename them, or clear them all and let the Photos hub refresh with no photos on the card, so that after your updates the app will see the files as "new" and then delete the ghost thumbnails.

Hope this helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes