Why do I get a loud static noise after each song in Windows Phone 8.1?

trdaisuke

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi WP Central forums,
Occasional lurker, first time poster here. I've been having a problem with audio playback on my Nokia Lumina 520 since the Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade (to be exact, since the 8.1 preview). I currently have Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Cyan.

My problem is: I hear a loud static-y buzz or other irritating noise after each song, which makes it unpleasant to try to listen to music through headphones on, which I would love to be able to do with this phone. There is a thread detailing the same problem in the WP8.1 Preview forum - I'd link to it, but new forum users here are forbidden from using nice features :-( - but that thread just ends with "hope Microsoft fixes it".

So, is there a fix for this?

I'm currently experiencing this problem anytime I play a song. I've tried a variety of MP3 files from various sources - Amazon, iTunes, Google Play - in both the Xbox Music and Nokia MixRadio apps. I've tried taking the files off and putting them back on; saving to the SD card, saving to the internal memory, etc. The files play back fine on other devices.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Windows man

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem but only when I'm listening music from the radio. I use the WP8.1, Lumia cyan but I also had this problem when I was using WP8 and WP8 with Lumia amber, and black.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
It's a bug. It seems (on my phone, at least) that in between ALL songs, a tiny (maybe .1-.2 seconds or so?) snippet of the previous ending gets played. If the previous song ended quietly, you might not notice - if the previous song ended loud, then ugh.

The status is still, "hope Microsoft fixes it."

Tuchulcha

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 520 updated to Denim yesterday and same annoying noise between songs.
This is unbelievable, and a major disappointment.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My first 920 had a sharp static pop after most sounds made. There was one game that was unplayable as the popping used to drive me crazy. I got a replacement and it was far less obvious, but still there. The update to 7.8 or possibly 8 fixed it. Can't quite remember which one. Occasionally I get the end of a song repeat immediately after it finishes too. Deezer used to do it, and I assumed it was the app. Seems a problem with the OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon