Glance Screen "App" causing major problems. Where is the fix?!

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Since months ago when MS pushed out the last "update" for the Glance Screen "app" in settings on my black 1520 everytime I tap on Glance Screen in settings it says:
Restart Required
Restart your phone to complete installation of the latest Glance screen updates, then open Glace to configure the new features.
with two boxes one says restart now and the other says later. When I restart the same message comes up.

AND the backup app no longer works because it says that the settings won't back up. So it appears Glance screen app is causing all kinds of problems.

What is the fix?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
IF it were me & the Glance screen app was causing ' ... all kinds of problems ... ', I'd (I don't know, ummm) ...

UNINSTALL IT! SMH

but first, try a soft reset!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
IF it were me & the Glance screen app was causing ' ... all kinds of problems ... ', I'd (I don't know, ummm) ...

UNINSTALL IT! SMH

but first, try a soft reset!

True, but how do you uninstall settings apps? At least in WP8 there is no conventional way to do so.

One way that could work though, is to disable auto time setting, set the date about a hundred years forward, reboot, then try to open glance. It should be pissed and offer to uninstall. Fix your date, maybe even throw in an extra reboot first, and get that all back to normal.

Do you have glance screen background installed?

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
That's true you can't uninstall settings apps. I did try your suggestion and I got the phone to uninstall the app but then when I reinstalled from the store I'm getting the same message so apparently glance screen isn't compatible with WP 8.1

Oh well...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
That's true you can't uninstall settings apps. I did try your suggestion and I got the phone to uninstall the app but then when I reinstalled from the store I'm getting the same message so apparently glance screen isn't compatible with WP 8.1

Oh well...

Fwiw, I did install (update?) Glance on a 928 with the DP (no Cyan) about a month ago and it was working fine.

Something weird going on...can you make backups with it uninstalled?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1520.3 running Official 8.1 + Cyan. I've never had such an issue. What you are describing is not something I've read about in my more than 4 months prowling the 1520 forum so it can not be common and does not affect all 1520s... I don't think a bug fix will ever get pushed for an isolated incident.

My best advice would be to use the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to get a clean install on your phone. Restore the last Backup you had and if the problem returns, flash again, but forego the restore from backup. Something is corrupted somewhere.

Either that or get a warranty/insurance replacement if available.

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
So crazy busy with work, family and the holidays I think I will just wait until ATT rolls out Denim and see if that solves the issues. Thanks for the suggestions all.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Oh well...

So you reset your time, uninstalled Glance screen, rebooted the device, then re-installed Glance screen & it still didn't work ? Is it possible you missed a step ?

... and it IS compatible w WinPhone 8.1 - I'm running the latest Dev Preview update (Lumia 1520) with Glance screen. It may be some other app, subverting it (or some app updating your Lock Screen causing the issue.)

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
So you reset your time, uninstalled Glance screen, rebooted the device, then re-installed Glance screen & it still didn't work ? Is it possible you missed a step ?

... and it IS compatible w WinPhone 8.1 - I'm running the latest Dev Preview update (Lumia 1520) with Glance screen. It may be some other app, subverting it (or some app updating your Lock Screen causing the issue.)

Yes I followed all the steps. Like I said, I'll just wait for ATT to roll out Denim and see if that solves the issue.

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Great news!
I used the download link in the article about the Glance Screen update here on Windows Central just now and the update took so everything in the app works now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes