Verizon unlocked 928

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I recall reading somewhere that Verizon phones are already GSM-SIM unlocked, I'd like to get a Lumia 925, but then comparing it with the 928 they seem to be almost identical except the 928 has CDMA.

Msoft store has the 928 for $278, so am I correct in thinking I can buy a 928 and use it with my T-Mobile SIM without having to go begging to tmo to unlock it? My tmo total for prepaid is nowhere near the $100 minimum they require for unlocking. Naturally, I am thus screwed with that begging option. :)

Thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My impression is that the Unlock on the SIM is for travel outside the US? Maybe they changed it to just unlocked? A Verizon customer may have more and better input on that. If it is just International Unlocked, you still need a code to unlock it for AT&T or T-Mo towers.

I would not expect T-Mo to unlock ANY phone branded to another carrier - T-Mo would not unlock a 928 for you no matter your standing with them - only Verizon would and only if you meet Verizon's criteria.

There are 3rd Party unlock services, of course. Do some research on them for reputation and ability to unlock the model you are looking at before committing to payment.

The only advantage I see in a 928 vs a 925 is the 32GB internal storage. The disadvantage is that 928 does not have 1700 MHz on the 3G radio which you need for traveling to any T-Mo area that does not offer LTE. Without that 1700 on 3G your phone falls to EDGE. Unless you are in a T-Mo LTE city and never leave it, that may be an issue.

Overall, never get a phone for the purpose of getting it unlocked unless you are positive that you can get it done or it has already been done. Also, sticking to a GSM model is more ideal for running unlocked on a GSM carrier for better radio matching.

B&H Photo is a great source for unlocked phones. For your budget target ($300 yes?) they have several choices all Brand New In The Box.
lumia | B&H Photo Video

Make sure it has 850/1700/1900/2100 on the 3G (or 3.5G as they write it) and LTE Bands 2/4/ and 17 or better yet 12 (17 works on 12 because 17 is a subset of 12 - AT&T uses Band 2/4/17, T-Mo uses Band 2/4/12) and it will be good for any AT&T or T-Mo towers.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I popped a tmo sim card into my phone once. I had problems sending MMS. But if you change the APN(I'm not tech savy, trying to remember) then it should work. Bit as stated above. If you don't get LTE then your stuck with edge. If you. Have wifi at home its better. But in my area... I'd try for the 1520.3 or, as you were considering, the 925. But I want the 1520. You may not. It's a matter of preference.
Find a phone that works best for your situation.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Search the 928 forum carefully, there are several topics on using the 928 with t-mobile. If I recall correctly the APN settings are locked down on Verizon phones, therefore MMS is likely not possible.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the detailed replies. I guess @RumoredNow sums it up best with the " unless you are positive that you can get it done or it has already been done," statement. Not too great a risk as msoft has free shipping and free returns. But, I take all points made here and will look to an unlocked 925 at expansys, or maybe an 830 with a better camera.

rodney0905

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Can someone fill me in on the joke (I feel like the guy awkwardly standing in a room not laughing at something that everyone else is 😜)?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Certified Pre Owned is a ridiculously tortured way of saying Used. It is "putting on airs" for many who hear it, myself included.

I think Lexus developed the phrase. Nothing more than bald faced hyperbole. Is there a 100 point inspection system that goes with this? Where's the beef?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Verizon phones these theys come unlocked, the APN settings can be managed with an app called "access point" as soon as you install it will set your settings for the operator it detects, I myself bought a 928 and shipped it here @Dominican republic, and it works flawlessly, only hindrance is LTE, I've read everywhere that the 928 has the AWS band disabled for LTE, that's 1700-2100mhz or "band 4" and that's exactly the only LTE bands in use here, so im stuck on 3g, Verizon wont release a fw enabling it, they released "denim" and it didn't come along so I guess that's it, you can go ahead and buy it if it makes sense to you, its a 2yo phone already, so I wouldn't recommend investing more than 100-150$ on it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes