Soft keys on a Lumia 1520 not backlit

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello all

I just returned my old 1520 using the Microsoft insurance policy (not sure what the name is but it is the one where you have damge to the phone and replace it with a new one for 50 bucks). My new one works fine except for the soft keys are not backlit. I vaguely remember them working in the store yesterday, but were not on when I got home. Doing some research I saw that they are sometimes not backlit due to battery saver or due to it detecting the background in the environment being very bright. Neither of those scenarios have corrected the issue (I turned off battery saver and also started the phone up in a dark room). Did I get a refurbished defective phone ( I thought they were suppose to be new) or is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Thiemo

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
most likely this is the well known issue with the battery saver update in combination with the broken device hub app. Search for the thread " Why is my glance screen showing "battery saver" all the time and no weather". On post #10 you find a possible workaround.

I don't know if it got fixed with Denim. However it is a shame, because the problem is known since august! In my case I installed the update with battery saver ON with the result that the button backlight was gone completely. When you install the update with battery saver OFF the keys stay backlit and will not dim. Also the dimming of the display backlight was instant disabled. With the mentioned workaround you can recover a correct function.

Since 1520 is not the only device with that problem it would be really interesting if the problem was solved with Denim!

Edit: I have one confirmation that the bug is still there with Denim on 930. (without the workaround)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3