Regulatory BS prevents USB tethering

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
In practice there is no technical problems for Microsoft adding USB tethering in Windows Phone. It's probably already there but disabled or not deployed. USB drivers already exists for this particular usage. The likely reason for Microsoft for not adding USB tethering is because it is a gray zone when it comes to tethering and different operators have different interpretations. Windows Phone supports Wifi and Bluetooth tethering which supports more than one client, then there is not the gray zone as the phone will be regarded as a "wifi hotspot" for sure.

So if I'm not completely wrong, this issue is stuck at the legal department at Microsoft and as Microsoft is a US company, operator regulations are more heavily guarded there.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
No. Just like other forms of tethering, it can be disabled for specific operators' phones. Also, this would not explain why phones like the 930 don't offer usb tethering since it is a non-us phone. It is simply because MS don't want that feature on their phones, much like usb otg. I can't explain why MS don't want to enable these things, but they clearly don't.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
USB tethering is already there and implemented, as we have seen. I can't say the same with USB OTG, HDMI as I have seen no trace of it.

That Nokia 930 has no USB tethering is mostly because they just apply the same strategy for all models.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
But they don't apply the same strategy for all models. Some carriers' phones have WiFi tethering disabled. Others don't. To confirm your thinking you need to show why they can disable other forms of tethering per carrier but cannot do so for usb tethering so needing a blanket ban. I don't think this holds water. If you do, you need some reasonable explanation for your theory hole.

Mohamed Ahmed Nader

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
USB tethering is already there and implemented, as we have seen. I can't say the same with USB OTG, HDMI as I have seen no trace of it.

That Nokia 930 has no USB tethering is mostly because they just apply the same strategy for all models.
When u say already there aand implemented. U mean other OSes right?

Also there used to be a workaround on windows phone 7 where u went to the service mode and disabled some stuff here and entered some codes there and voil?. But now once u enter the service mode code it will show u the duration where the phone had been since first ever boot.

If u want I can share that instructions video although it's useless now

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon