Images being saved as .WDP

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
My friend has a Lumia 520 with 8.1. Ever since he got this phone (previously had a 510), images that he saves from Twitter or IE, etc are being saved as a .WDP windows media type. When he tries to send me these pictures via text or mms, my phone cannot display them and does not know how to open a .WDP file.

I just very recently was using an HTC 8XT. I did notice that the images were .WDP when he sent them to that phone also, but that phone would display them.

My windows PC won't read .WDP either unless using the Windows Photo Previewer. Any other application (Paint, GIMP, etc) will not read them.

Why did his new phone suddenly start saving all images as WDP? How can they be saved as JPEG or PNG (their original format) instead?

He says another friend with an android phone is able to see the messages fine. I am having him double check.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Nope, just save image menu option using both the original twitter app or built in IE. If you google search the problem you can see one question from someone having the exact same problem on the microsoft KB, and the accepted answer was to open the picture in Lumia Camera, edit it, and it'll save it as a jpeg. This answer came from a "forum moderator" but does not seem like an acceptable solution.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...phone-81/eb3065fb-248e-4fa6-98f3-e0488546fbd8

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Did additional back and forth with him and can confirm actually the twitter pictures are fine, it is just those saved from IE being stored as .WDP and can't be read on my android or iphone. (My windows phone will display them but can't read them in any other image application)

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You are a good friend for helping him research this issue.

It appears to be very rare and impossible to replicate as a reportable bug.

It might be good to show him how to back up and let him know he won't loose any more data than progress in games. Pro Tip: along with Microsoft Account Backup; get SysApp Pusher installed, update all and back that up as well. Minimizes some more setup loss.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I fixed it. Once I got to his house I checked for any related options in IE. I shut off "Data Sense" in the IE settings and it seemed to work.

Data Sense appears to be a feature that automatically (depending on setting type) alters your incoming traffic to save on your data usage. This makes sense because WDP is a highly compressed raster image format.

Told him to double check his data consumption in a few days to make sure it doesn't skyrocket since he is on a limited plan.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank You... I've bookmarked this so I can share your solution if I see this issue crop up again.

You will help many with this, I believe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes