MS on WP8: "a few surprises still up our sleeves."

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Neowin managed to score a tour of Microsoft?s campus, which included a hands-on with the (disabled) current range of Windows Phone 8 handsets. Microsoft said they were not allowed to handle the OS as they still had ?a few surprises still up their sleeves? which they were not ready to reveal yet.

Full article on wmpoweruser

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The hardware already convinced me. Now if they make a even better OS it will be an amazing phone!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else notice that this year Microsoft has done better at this whole "secret surprise" thing than Apple has? Tim Cook said they were doubling down on secrecy-- what a laugh.

Not one single announcement from Apple that wasn't leaked, but Microsoft keeps releasing tidbits as they see fit, and holding back on lots of things. Lots of speculation, lots of "maybe this could happen", but nothing 100% until they decide it's 100%. Just tidbits to whet our appetites and keep us waiting.

I love it... and I hate it, because I want more!

My predictions:
1. Instagram integration to People/Picture hubs to complement Lenses.
2. Additional account integration with People hub (Google+, for example).
3. Xbox Music AND Videos subscription options going head to head with Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu.
4. SkyDrive related items (I'm hoping for Favorites sync) in addition to confirmation of SkyDrive music/video streaming.
5. Stronger business features through the Office hub and Mail/Calendar apps.
6. Stronger Skype/Lync integration (though maybe not fully... yet).

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else notice that this year Microsoft has done better at this whole "secret surprise" thing than Apple has? Tim Cook said they were doubling down on secrecy-- what a laugh.

Not one single announcement from Apple that wasn't leaked...

LOL seriously. The iPhone 5 was leaked like crazy, but I will say that there are no leaks about the supposed 7" iPad so if that's coming out then Apple has done a good job containing that one. I suppose it won't look that much different than the larger iPad.

...but Microsoft keeps releasing tidbits as they see fit, and holding back on lots of things. Lots of speculation, lots of "maybe this could happen", but nothing 100% until they decide it's 100%. Just tidbits to whet our appetites and keep us waiting.

I love it... and I hate it, because I want more!
I agree! Whatever Microsoft is doing, they're doing it right. Waiting to see what Apple had to show was a good move. Let's not forget that last year Apple copied some Mango features because Microsoft talked too soon.

My predictions:
1. Instagram integration to People/Picture hubs to complement Lenses.
2. Additional account integration with People hub (Google+, for example).
3. Xbox Music AND Videos subscription options going head to head with Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu.
4. SkyDrive related items (I'm hoping for Favorites sync) in addition to confirmation of SkyDrive music/video streaming.
5. Stronger business features through the Office hub and Mail/Calendar apps.
6. Stronger Skype/Lync integration (though maybe not fully... yet).

This would rock. I like it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My predictions:

I am not familiar with Xbox Music and Videos. I do not own an Xbox and have no desire to purchase one.

When I visited the Xbox Videos site, I did not see much information that would answer my question.

My question is: Can Xbox Videos be viewed on a PC?

The main reason I like Netflix is because I can watch movies/shows on phone or PC. Is that possible with Xbox Videos?

If Xbox Videos can be viewed on a PC, that would be great. My next question would be related to pricing. How much is an Xbox Videos subscription? Is the music part of the package (Music and Videos), or can one get a Videos package only?

I have no interest in Xbox Music/Zune/whatever it will be called, since there are enough free music streaming sources, and I purchase mp3s from Amazon.com which I can put on any device and even burn to physical media.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I am not familiar with Xbox Music and Videos. I do not own an Xbox and have no desire to purchase one.

When I visited the Xbox Videos site, I did not see much information that would answer my question.

The main reason I like Netflix is because I can watch movies/shows on phone or PC. Is that possible with Xbox Videos?

If Xbox Videos can be viewed on a PC, that would be great. My next question would be related to pricing. How much is an Xbox Videos subscription? Is the music part of the package (Music and Videos), or can one get a Videos package only?

I have no interest in Xbox Music/Zune/whatever it will be called, since there are enough free music streaming sources, and I purchase mp3s from Amazon.com which I can put on any device and even burn to physical media.

There's no word on pricing and subscription details yet. But yeah, you won't need an Xbox to use these services. All PCs with Windows 8 will be able to use the metro Music and Videos app BUT you'll be missing a LOT of features without an Xbox.

Think of it this way: the Xbox is about to become a media hub / center like the Apple TV, or a dedicated HTPC, with a much richer augmentation functionality and a superb gaming experience on top of that.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I also agree that if XBox Video is not viewable on a PC like Amazon Instant then it's a no-go. Microsoft should make sure that both XBox Music and Video are multi-platform.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There's no word on pricing and subscription details yet. But yeah, you won't need an Xbox to use these services. All PCs with Windows 8 will be able to use the metro Music and Videos app BUT you'll be missing a LOT of features without an Xbox.

Think of it this way: the Xbox is about to become a media hub / center like the Apple TV, or a dedicated HTPC, with a much richer augmentation functionality and a superb gaming experience on top of that.

Thanks for your explanation. :)

It looks like Xbox subscription would not be the best option for me, since I'm only interested in movies/TV shows.

I'm actually a cord-cutter. I have a tv tuner I use with Windows Media Center for my local channels. Otherwise I watch Netflix.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Xbox Music and Xbox Videos are the rebranded versions of Zune Marketplace, so yes you can play them on ANY of your Microsoft devices (computer, phone, Xbox). You can already buy TV shows and movies, but what's expected soon is a subscription model.

It seems that Xbox Live, Music, and Videos may all be separate subscriptions which would be nice... at least, I hope that's the case.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Music and Xbox Videos are the rebranded versions of Zune Marketplace. You can already buy TV shows and movies, but what's expected soon is a subscription model.

It seems that Xbox Live, Music, and Videos may all be separate subscriptions which would be nice... at least, I hope that's the case.
So you have to buy movies and shows alacarte now, and there is no package that offers unlimited streaming like Netflix?

I hope that changes; otherwise I'd have no reason to bother with Xbox Videos.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So you have to buy movies and shows alacarte now, and there is no package that offers unlimited streaming like Netflix?

I hope that changes; otherwise I'd have no reason to bother with Xbox Videos.

Correct. I believe the time is finally right for them to offer a subscription model. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime have proven very successful, and it would be a very popular option to deter people from iTunes.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Correct. I believe the time is finally right for them to offer a subscription model. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime have proven very successful, and it would be a very popular option to deter people from iTunes.

Let's keep in mind that you can access all these services through an Xbox as well.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I also agree that if XBox Video is not viewable on a PC like Amazon Instant then it's a no-go. Microsoft should make sure that both XBox Music and Video are multi-platform.

It will be viewable across all MS devices because in the W8 preview you can already listen to music and watch videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon