Nokia trash-talking about HTC's launch

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Nokia slams HTC's Windows Phone 8 announcement, calls it a 'tactical re-branding' | The Verge

"Today is more good news for the Windows Phone ecosystem. While others may choose to tactically re-brand their products, Nokia is driving an industry-leading smartphone franchise ? that we call Lumia -- exclusively around Windows Phone. With Lumia, we are creating truly differentiated experiences like PureView imaging, location and navigation, wireless charging and Nokia Music. And we?re just getting started!"

I'm really starting to get annoyed by their talk.

First, it's not very classy to diss the competition like that. Samsung and HTC didn't do it to Nokia's announcement.

Second, HTC provided carrier availability and shipping month information. Nokia still hasn't.

Rather than put out tweets claiming that HTC 8X "isn't as innovative," why not get your stuff out there with carriers and dates, Nokia?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't care how nice your phone is if I can't use it. Put your damn high-end phone on Verizon and then we'll talk.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk, I just think Nokia is having fun! It gets both Nokia's name and WP8 branding out in the public a little more! It also helps get the word out that Nokia isn't the only one in MS' court. None of which is a bad thing!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't care how nice your phone is if I can't use it. Put your damn high-end phone on Verizon and then we'll talk.
I agree the trash talking hurts their image as a brand and it makes me feel somewhat uneasy purchasing nokia stock.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Idk, I just think Nokia is having fun! It gets both Nokia's name and WP8 branding out in the public a little more! It also helps get the word out that Nokia isn't the only one in MS' court. None of which is a bad thing!

When I slammed Nokia's disastrous event earlier this month, people complained that I was trolling.

But now Nokia's *actually* trolling, and it's just fun?

Yeesh.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
They aren't the first, nor will they be the last corporation to knock a rival's product.

If the trash talking leads to more intense competition then I'm all for it.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
This is simply marketing. I find it amusing, especially the tweet "It takes more than matching color to match the innovation of the Lumia 920."

Loving it!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So if I tweet back "my 8X delivers much better performance than any phone YOU guys sell on my carrier, HTC is the clear choice #lumiasucks" I hope they have the same amount of good humor about it that they expect of us. :D

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It is all harmless in the end, and maybe as it is 2 weeks later, there is more info that can be released as WP8 has gone RTM. It actually doesn't matter at all which carriers are getting them as we cant buy them so it is a moot point until the devices are released?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I *know* my carrier is getting the 8X. I have no IDEA if my carrier is getting anything else.

In fact, my carrier is now taking PRE-ORDER REGISTRATIONS for the 8X.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't approve of Nokia talking trash, but if you want to talk about a company that has talked some trash over the years then look no further than the company that makes the operating system. ;)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I *know* my carrier is getting the 8X. I have no IDEA if my carrier is getting anything else.

In fact, my carrier is now taking PRE-ORDER REGISTRATIONS for the 8X.

So why not just do your preorder and let Nokia do what they want? Its not as though people going into a store will suddenly think "ooh, Nokia bashed the 8X, musn't buy it". HTC produced good devices today and you can register for it, that really should be enough, shouldnt it?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
When I slammed Nokia's disastrous event earlier this month, people complained that I was trolling.

But now Nokia's *actually* trolling, and it's just fun?

Yeesh.

I'm not sure the exact comment you made earlier, so I won't say that you were trolling. But, when Nokia puts down competition, it is marketing. It's expected. Who would come out and say a competitor makes a better product then themselves? Who would say the competition dies it better, but buy our product just because?

In all honesty, I wasn't considering HTC for my next phone before today. I will now have to truly take a look at the 8x vs. 920.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So why not just do your preorder and let Nokia do what they want?

I cannot prevent Nokia from doing what it wants.

But your sensitivity about the whole thing sorta proves my point. Nokia and its community can slam Apple, Samsung and HTC all day long, but whenever they get criticized in return, it's all "why don't you just take your phone and leave us alone?!?"

Nokia and its fanbase are the ones asserting a "special role" as the "premiere manufacturer" for WP. If they're going to assert that role, then they'd better be willing to listen to real feedback from the WP community.

They can't have it both ways.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
If I were to upgrade to a WP8 from my Titan II, it would probably be the 920.

With that, I am not fond of the trash talk either. I think there is a better, more professional way to market yourself.

It just makes me think of bullies on the playground, and of Labron James.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The trash talking really isn't good. Just talk about what your product can do and go from there. Plus I don't think the 920 is going to have a dedicated amp, that is huge.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The only competitor I've seen Apple call out in advertising or in tweets is Microsoft, and that was only in PCs.

I just didn't think the Nokia stunts today were classy. I was a little annoyed at the swipe at Samsung, but describing these new HTC phones as "tactical rebranding" was uncalled-for. They're lucky HTC didn't respond with "here are ACTUAL PHOTOS from the 8X -- note, no camera crew!" :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2