HTC WP8x/s look tacky compared to Nokia 920

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the 8x grill at all. To me, it fits in with the Metro look.
I think the grille will probably look much better when I get to see it in person. A lot of devices look slightly weird in renders / press shots, including the Lumias.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thinner says absolutely nothing, when you make a device larger you can make it thinner because you've got more space to work with anyhow.

That is not entirely true. You have to engineer just about everything inside a phone damn near perfectly to make it as thin as possible.

__________Cubic MM____screen____thickness mm
Note2:____114,261.700____5.3"_______9.4
920:_______98,710.068____4.5"_______10.7
Titan:______92,040.795____4.7"________9.9
8x:________88,667.088____4.3"______10.12
Ativ-s:_____84,151.620____4.8"________8.6
GS3:______83,173.008____4.8"________8.6
iP5:_______55,135.568____4.0"_______7.6

Note actually seems a bit oversized to me. Ativ and S3 have a 4.8" screen and Note has a 5.3 yet note is much larger volume wise than the S3.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nothing screams "dork!" louder than fishing a giant, heavy Lumia 900 out of one's pocket and dropping it on the table at a restaurant with an audible "thud," while the restaurant shakes afterwards.

Sorry, L900 feels too big, thick and heavy.

And if you think "a few inches here and there don't make much of a difference," I suggest you avoid hopping into the Bay Area dating pool! :D

The L900 is about my limit for size and weight. I was disappointed to see that the L920 is even taller and heavier.

That said, I prefer the solid, high quality feel of the polycarbonate unibody to the cheap and chintzy feel of the plasticky Samsung like phones.

A perfect compromise for me would have been a slightly smaller than 900 phone with the screen pushed closer to the edges, maybe a little bit lighter, with higher resolution, and the same quality, solid feel.

I guess that was too much to ask though.

For now I'll be holding on to my L900, which I love, and we'll have to see. It's hard to imagine going to an even bigger phone. I love Nokia and I want my next phone to be a Lumia of some kind, but I'm not OK with 800x480 and I'm not OK with phones getting bigger and bigger with every iteration.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

First some background:
I am new to these forums, my first smartphone was a Nokia e71x which I loved for the solid quality fit and finish it had, but the Symbian OS left allot to be desired...So switched to iPhone 4 when it was released. Enjoy my iPhone 4 , but have grown tired of iOS, and a recent upgrade to iOS 6 has not produced enough innovation for me to justify the upgrade to an iPhone 5.

I am very impressed with the Nokia 920 and WP8 , so plan to switch when it is released later this year.

Now for the subject of this post:
I have been looking at various images and videos for both upcoming Nokia and HTC WP8 devices and keep coming to the same conclusion...

HTC WP8x/s look like play things...very plastic-ee/disposable , and that colored speaker grille just don't look right at all.

Nokia 920 looks solid, the fit and finish appear well thought out by the designers, and seems like a device that will remain functional well past a 2 year service contract.

Click to view quoted image

Nokia 820 resembles the offerings from HTC in my opinion...not impressed.

As an iPhone 4 user I have become accustomed to high quality hardware, and I would think that other iPhone users making the switch to WP8 will be most satisfied with the Nokia 920.

Just my 2 cents...

To each their own, but from my perspective the top line HTC is the only one that I think looks like a professional device. I will readily acknowledge that Nokia's designs are innovative but they always strike me as looking like toys. I will take conservative styling over flash for numerous reasons, not the least of which is I also use my phone for work and clients hate having to pay consulting fees to archaeologists at the best of times. Carry something flashy and one might hear comments along the lines of "so that is what you do with our money." BTW, I have also yet to meet a client in my industry carrying an iPhone....

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
To each their own, but from my perspective the top line HTC is the only one that I think looks like a professional device. I will readily acknowledge that Nokia's designs are innovative but they always strike me as looking like toys. I will take conservative styling over flash for numerous reasons, not the least of which is I also use my phone for work and clients hate having to pay consulting fees to archaeologists at the best of times. Carry something flashy and one might hear comments along the lines of "so that is what you do with our money." BTW, I have also yet to meet a client in my industry carrying an iPhone....
I seriously doubt HTC 8X/S will send any different message than Lumia's. Whatever message that might be.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not much of an HTC fan I didn't have luck with this HD7 but the 8x is sharp looking as it the L920. I just think that the Nokia and HTC devices bring something new to the table that we have really not seen in the smartphone world and best of all they are sporting WP8 enjoy this while it last because soon HTC and all the other android makers are going to have this style devices running android.

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually like both handsets but the 920 is a better phone. I have never had an iphone but my friends and family have and all those tiny icons give me a headache, but as you say the hardware has always been top quality thanks to Steve Jobs....until now because the latest effort is poor. I looked at the new software too and yes, there is no real improvement apart from the intergrated facebook which they have copied from WP7.

So now that Windows phone has proper hardware and a totally original, simple, easy to use OS, (which I've got to say Im still happy with 7.5) I can understand why people like yourself are wanting to switch. Seeing all those iphone fans queing up outside the stores are just zombified and in a routine so they can say.."I waited for 9 hours to get my iphone!!!"...so what, this time around it is not the phone everyone will want in their hand!

I'll be getting either the white or red 920, what do you think is the best colour?

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I personally am on the fence between black or yellow 920...,but it won't matter much since all my phones are put in an otterbox case soon after I get them. :-]

Posted from My Mobile App

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the colored grilled but the 8X looks prettier in my opinion. I would have to look at them in person to have a more informed opinion.

But as of now, 8X looks great, 920 is hideous.

Looked at the 8X yesterday and it looks and feels cheap and it was right next to the 920, no comparison as far as im concerned!!

Kaztronic HD7

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
As I'm reading all of the comments about the Lumia 920 with adjectives and terms such as "Man hands", "Power", etc..... I cannot help but think of the people who buy exotic cars. They are often compensating for other "Man" related size issues. ;)

That said, the idea that the Lumia 920 is too heavy, or too large seems ridiculous to me. I have an HD7 now and the difference in weight between both is minimal. I don't recall any moments where I was holding that phone next to my ear and thinking that it was too heavy. Seems like a big deal over nothing.

As for the 8X looking "tacky" as compared to the 920, I certainly don't agree. The 920 strikes me as a better phone when it comes to the features and I would probably pick it over the 8X as my next phone were it available on Tmo, and even though I would probably select the Nokia over the HTC as my next phone, I think the 8X actually looks a bit better, primarily due to the gloss coloring on the 920, which I am not too fond of.

Last edited:

Tuimakei

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, the HTC 8X/8S looks way better than ALL the NOKIA LUMIAS. The HTC devices feel very slim but the NOKIA'S seem sort of bulky. The nokia devices are shaped weirdly and just don't look right. The HTC's are also smooth and soft while the NOKIA'S can get fingerprints and much more. The 8X/8S is way better.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, the HTC 8X/8S looks way better than ALL the NOKIA LUMIAS. The HTC devices feel very slim but the NOKIA'S seem sort of bulky. The nokia devices are shaped weirdly and just don't look right. The HTC's are also smooth and soft while the NOKIA'S can get fingerprints and much more. The 8X/8S is way better.

I just wasted my time reading this thread only to realise that it was very old and brought back to life by you!

The Windows Phone world is a better place with Nokia (from an OS perspective), but from a user perspective, this brand loyalty in-fighting needs to stop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes