10-08-2012 06:49 PM
57 123
tools
    Nokia drive, so MS is willing to let all other windows phone do without turn by turn or go buy some expensive app. How about improve Bing maps to make it usable.

All Windows Phones will have free turn by turn navigation.
    10-05-2012 10:35 AM
    The problem I personally have with Nokia is that they so far had nothing that warrants them big player status.

I'm a very fact based person, Because I've being let down by promises and hype before a lot of times. I critize every phone from what they do wrong, Nokia just happens to s.crew up the most.

I have to admit though, I'm harsher against Nokia because they are currently the face of Windows Phone, so everything they do something stupid, it makes Windows Phone look bad, damaging the future of the OS.
    10-05-2012 11:22 AM
    I'm a very fact based person
    lol

AngryNil, cckgz4 and Residing like this.
    10-05-2012 11:33 AM
    I stand corrected.
    Windows Phone 8 to Use of Nokia Maps with Turn-by-Turn Offline Map Support | Nokia Windows Phone
    All Windows Phones will have free turn by turn navigation.
    So what's included with Nokia Drive +.
    10-05-2012 12:03 PM
    Likely My Commute, they showed it off in Nokia Drive 3.0 and probably can keep that little thing for themselves. Also possible is a stronger GPS with multiple routes instead of one route that Drive currently shows.
    10-05-2012 12:13 PM
    Also, because around here, Nokia gets a great deal of the attention. So people want to talk trash about them because their favorite OEM gets treated like a red headed step child. Why does Nokia deserve to place on a pedestal. I think this is what brings out the Nokia hate.

Plus, a lot of people on this forum are from the US and don't care if Nokia ceased to exist tomorrow.

Just check out the front page now. "What color 920 are you getting?" I bet you won't see a poll like that for HTC....well maybe now, that attention is on it, but you get the picture.
    It is probably because Nokia is the only OEM totally committed to Windows Phone. The rest make Windows Phones as a hobby and ***** out 90% of their R&D to making Android handsets.

Seeing as how Windows Phone is the "red-headed stepchild" of the phone OS world, to use your analogy, when an OEM finally comes along and gives us its full attention and the first really nice phones for our platform of choice instead of warmed over Android leftovers, a lot of us are going to have some gratitude for that OEM.
    10-05-2012 07:26 PM
    The problem I personally have with Nokia is that they so far had nothing that warrants them big player status.

I'm a very fact based person, Because I've being let down by promises and hype before a lot of times. I critize every phone from what they do wrong, Nokia just happens to s.crew up the most.

I have to admit though, I'm harsher against Nokia because they are currently the face of Windows Phone, so everything they do something stupid, it makes Windows Phone look bad, damaging the future of the OS.
    As opposed to all the other OEMs which have done NOTHING for Windows Phone until very recently...

Samsung with some kind of interesting Braun razor looking phone and HTC with their cheap Lumia knockoff.

At least they are putting some effort in now though, I give them credit for that.
    10-05-2012 07:28 PM
    90% of American first gen sold where the Samsung Focus.
    HTC has sold the most windows devices out of everyone.
    10-05-2012 08:44 PM
    ...and?
    10-06-2012 06:23 AM
    In a similarly unrelated vein, Nokia has been decimating Samsung and HTC in Windows Phone sales for the past year.
    10-06-2012 06:28 AM

I'm a very fact based person
    You spelled "biased" wrong.
    10-06-2012 08:45 AM
    The only OEM that has to be 100% committed. No plan B
    Those ***** making a ton of money. While Nokia giving it up for crumbs.

The "first nice phones" is your opinion, nothing other than that
    It is probably because Nokia is the only OEM totally committed to Windows Phone. The rest make Windows Phones as a hobby and ***** out 90% of their R&D to making Android handsets.

Seeing as how Windows Phone is the "red-headed stepchild" of the phone OS world, to use your analogy, when an OEM finally comes along and gives us its full attention and the first really nice phones for our platform of choice instead of warmed over Android leftovers, a lot of us are going to have some gratitude for that OEM.
    10-06-2012 08:57 AM
    Nice reply. :/
    You spelled "biased" wrong.
    10-06-2012 08:58 AM
    Ever since the 920 and 820 were announced the forums have been filled with threads on how Nokia was overrated, didnt bring anything to the table, the 920 was too thick and heavy, wireless charging was a gimmick, OIS doesnt matter because you didnt take pictures, etc and basically how they just should die.

Then HTC had their announcement and the sentiment intensified, with claims Nokia was dead, HTC would outsell them, beats audio was better than anything on the 920, the 8x and 8s looked better, etc.

So why all the anguish, gnashing of teeth, fervent proclamations of Nokia's demise now that its revealed it will be only on At&t? You never wanted the phone, didnt like the company, couldnt care less if they went bankrupt or not so its a bit strange to see forums filled with Nokia hate (guess thats nothing new) and at least 1 tech site already calling them a flop.

What gives?
    Yes. This-- exactly.

I'm not interested in engaging all the whining people are doing about this announcement... and especially when people are just reacting to one small bit of news rather than intelligently waiting for actual information.

We don't know how long the exclusive is, nor do we know how exclusive it really is... 922? 822? We don't know whether this was AT&T, Verizon, or Nokia's insistence.

All this whining is why I've minimized my posting here this week. It's constant whining, and you know what they say-- if you don't like something, don't engage in it. Well, the whining has escalated to plague status on so many posts, I just stopped coming to post this week.

And YES-- to those asking-- it's from a lot of the same people, because they're just looking for some means to justify their dislike/disapproval of Nokia.

Frankly, it's aggravating, because I guarantee in 30-90 days, we're gonna see the 920 on some other carrier, and people are gonna whine that it took so long, and OMG, I should have waited! Why couldn't they have done this 3 months ago? etc. And really, how quickly we forget that only a month ago we were anticipating it ONLY coming to AT&T anyway... we got ONE unconfirmed speculative rumor about it coming to Verizon and somehow we rush to assume it was true? Give me a break.

Bottom line... people whine for sake of whining. I feel like I'm whining now about whiners, which is equally pointless, I suppose.

I just wish people could see the bigger picture and promote the platform and be thrilled that we have so many options to pick from... and they're all good options.
    cckgz4 and Reflexx like this.
    10-06-2012 09:50 AM
    The "whining" people probably don't care to engage the Nokia fanboys. But each group post on threads created for each side. So if ya didn't care to engage them, why post.

Not knowing how long the exclusive is, still makes it an exclusive. There was a "wait until tomorrow" rumor that popped up. Well, that day came and went. And the exclusive article on the front page was backtracking at its finest.

All in all, if you're offended by the pro/anti Nokia post, don't go in there.

#DownWithNokia
    10-06-2012 10:09 AM
    Nobody bothered to answer my reply, they just went "LOL winter doesn't use facts" he is a troll.

Is like Nokia fans are fans of mediocrity.
    10-06-2012 10:20 AM
    When people don't like what a particular OEM is offering, that's fine. When they've had a bad experience and dislike the OEM that's fine. Talking about their personal experience is a means of sharing socially.

When they are **** bent on stating their opinions as fact, think themselves experts in business and marketing enough to call others stupid, and are unable to admit the positives of a product (even if they personally won't get it),... well, to me that shows that a person is being irrational.

It may be due to social abnormalities, being a spoiled brat, being a smug elitist, or just being bored and kind of a jerk.
    10-06-2012 10:22 AM
    nobody bothered to answer my reply, they just went "lol winter doesn't use facts" he is a troll.

Is like nokia fans are fans of mediocrity.
    lol
    ImmortalWarrior likes this.
    10-06-2012 10:23 AM
    I think MS and Nokia created a problem they didn't plan on. Nokia has exclusive apps and releasing their top of the line on one US carrier. So people on other carriers are pissed. So to tell them to just get the HTC phone is irrational. So now those with the new HTC phone now may miss out on some good exclusives. Its a hard spot to be in for them.

People seem to be more concerned about nokia rather than the overall positive growth of WP OS.

The entire approach seems.to be poorly thought out.
    Nobody bothered to answer my reply, they just went "LOL winter doesn't use facts" he is a troll.

Is like Nokia fans are fans of mediocrity.
    10-06-2012 10:40 AM
    DEATH TO NOKIA. If anyone asks me for a phone recommendation I will say "anything but Nokia garbage".
    10-06-2012 10:47 AM
    I think MS and Nokia created a problem they didn't plan on. Nokia has exclusive apps and releasing their top of the line on one US carrier. So people on other carriers are pissed....

People seem to be more concerned about nokia rather than the overall positive growth of WP OS.
    Now THAT'S a well-stated argument, and you're exactly right about it.

The exclusive apps are a good marketing tool for Nokia AND Windows Phone. BUT, it's contradicted by the exclusive carrier choice. I can understand why they do the apps, but they have dropped the ball sticking to one carrier.

Now a consumer has to switch carriers AND hardware maker to get something they may want, and that's not a good thing, because it really does reduce customer choice.

It's an approach Apple was successful with ONLY because of market conditions in 2007/2008, and the market is too competitive now for it to ever work again.

As for people being concerned about Nokia's failure or success over WP OS success, I agree there too, which is why you don't see me posting rants and anger over HTC or Samsung. I actually really like those products and options. I just choose Nokia because photography and screen usage are important to me, and their results are being proven over and over.
    Villain likes this.
    10-06-2012 11:50 AM
    Well the big difference between Nokia fans and Nokia haters, is that the Nokia haters are either extremely immature, or just legitimately young children. See above for examples.

I feel like I should be paid babysitting money every time I am posting in a thread with Winterfang.

DEATH TO NOKIA. If anyone asks me for a phone recommendation I will say "anything but Nokia garbage".
    I feel the same way about Verizon.
    ImmortalWarrior likes this.
    10-06-2012 11:57 AM
    I agree with some others here. The whining going on here since the Nokia launch has really made this place less enjoyable. It is just a handful of posters/trolls that feel the need to chime in with their opinions in every Nokia thread about how Nokia let them down without, Nokia is killing WP, Nokia killed their puppy, etc etc. There are posters here that do make valid criticisms about Nokia and I can live with that since they are level headed comments, and not end of the world antics.

If you find other OEMs or mobile OS that suits you better then by all means support those causes, but stop with the trolling. It's more fun to be positive about something you like than it is to be constantly negative, unless you enjoy getting a rise out of people.
    cckgz4 and GoodThings2Life like this.
    10-06-2012 12:41 PM
    Now THAT'S a well-stated argument, and you're exactly right about it.

The exclusive apps are a good marketing tool for Nokia AND Windows Phone. BUT, it's contradicted by the exclusive carrier choice. I can understand why they do the apps, but they have dropped the ball sticking to one carrier.

Now a consumer has to switch carriers AND hardware maker to get something they may want, and that's not a good thing, because it really does reduce customer choice.

It's an approach Apple was successful with ONLY because of market conditions in 2007/2008, and the market is too competitive now for it to ever work again.

As for people being concerned about Nokia's failure or success over WP OS success, I agree there too, which is why you don't see me posting rants and anger over HTC or Samsung. I actually really like those products and options. I just choose Nokia because photography and screen usage are important to me, and their results are being proven over and over.
    I feel the same way. I really enjoy the extra app support that Nokia provides and that is my third factor for choosing Nokia for my next Windows Phone.
    10-06-2012 12:56 PM
    As Theefman and GT2L stated, I'm more interested in the advancement and proliferation of WP OS, the Marketing behind it(or gross lack thereof), and the development of devices to support it. I am not one to switch carriers simply for the device they offer. Exclusivity, to me, means I will most likely never own that device. The way contracts are done with U.S. carriers, by the time any exclusivity contracts expire and a particular device is available to the rest of the market, there is a huge possibility that there is something much better, more advanced coming within the next few months anyway so it becomes even older tech than it was the day it was released initially.

All this does for Windows Phone at this juncture in it's development is make it less appealing to the consumer than it already is. People want something that works and is supported well. The way this is being marketed, it's still nothing more than a niche item. Until they, Microsoft and OEM builders, come out big for this device and seriously push it into the main stream conscious, that is where it will remain.
    10-06-2012 01:32 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD