Mobile syrup hands ATIV,8X, 920 hands on

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a pretty silly comment to say that it is smaller than the L920 though. I think most people would regard the cross sectional area as the 'size' of the device when just looking at it. The cross sectional area of the L920 is quite a lot smaller than the Ativ S as their widths are similar but the Ativ has a much larger height. I'd argue that thickness is pretty irrelevant when talking size, otherwise the Ativ is 'smaller' when talking total volume.

Speaking of sizes, does anyone find the 8x to look too tall and narrow?

Volume is actual size though. Why would height x length represent size better than length x width x height? That is ridiculous and one of the reasons that pisses me off about people who judge phone sizes by the screen size.

I agree with you on the HTC 8x though. It is ridiculously big for a 4.3 inch phone. The LG Optimus G international is roughly the same size with a 4.7 inch screen.

Last edited:

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a 'he,' I'm a she. The 'chick' part of my name should have given that away.

I never lied, either. I was merely mistaken. There's a difference between someone flat out lying and being mistaken. However, I'm curious - why would the opinion of one person you don't even know rub you the wrong way?

I am guessing it is probably because people don't like it when people spread inaccurate information that is based on their biases.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I kinda guessed that you would consider 1080p as a major innovation. Thank you.

Go read up on Sharp's IGZO technology, it is an innovation actually. 1080p also counts as innovation because that is what screen displays go for. Sharper images, better colors, better refresh rates, thinner panels, less reflections, power savings.

I feel that the Lumia 920 definitely qualifies as screen innovation but so does the SLCD 3. Although the true and major innovations should be reserved for a technology jump like say LCD - Plasma - LED - OLED.

So the next one would be either flexible OLED youm technology or the new true colour OLED technology. Which are both being prepared by that boring old Samsung that does nothing but copy Apple and suck compared to HTC and Nokia.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you on the HTC 8x though. It is ridiculously big for a 4.3 inch phone. The LG Optimus G internationally is roughly the same size with a 4.7 inch screen.

Having handled an 8X myself, the curves around the edges go a long way in making it feel smaller than the specs indicate. It's still oddly tall, though.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I can the same the for your posts. We just have different priorities. In our eyes, Your innovations are gimmicks and my innovations are not practical.

That being said, I'm sure we will see more manufactures copying HTC butterfly screen than Nokia's. The ones that saw the phone say the higher res is actually quite noticeable and there's nothing else out yet.

People tout Samsung for not being innovative also, yet look at the Note. Is the kind of phone no one knew they wanted and now everything is copying them.

Those people just like to see things with their biased glasses on. For example, to people as clueless as Angry Nil, the Note would be nothing more than an over sized Galaxy S2 with a stylus. Yet they choose to ignore that the just like HTC and Nokia, all their phones also have trademark design similarities.

They just choose to ignore the similarities between the Lumia 900 and 920/ HTC 8x/Droids/J butterfly yet over analyze the similarities between the Ativ S and GS3.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I agree that the Ativ doesn't look identical, but that's not to say I don't still think it resembles the GSIII. I even said earlier that it does, only it's more blockish with rounded corners.

But a spade is a spade. I have an opinion of that phone, while you have an opinion of another. But seriously, calling something "hideous" isn't merely having an opinion but bashing. How you can call what I said as bashing is beyond me. In any case, I'm done debating this with you, because I really don't feel like going back and forth and repeating myself. Leaving it at this instead.

You do realize that more blockish with rounded corners is probably the biggest differentiator
in cell phones today right? I mean a round phone vs a rectangle phone is a pretty jarring difference.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You missed the point. All these screens have great blacks. Having those true blacks will only be noticeable if you have a black phone and you can see the screen is a little washed out compared to the face of the device.

Samsung's "SAMOLED" screens have bad colour fidelity because Samsung just tries to oversaturate everything to make it look vibrant. LCDs generally have better fidelity, far better clarity (as it stands due to PenTile vs RGB) and less power draw. The gap has been lessened to the point where AMOLED is no longer the leader just because of its true blacks.

WP Central talked about this with the HTC Radar & Titan, and many reviewers already tout the SLCD2 as the best screen on the market (excluding the 5" 1080p). None I have seen tout the Samsung screen as the winner anymore.

You spend a lot of time around here. Doesn't hurt to know the facts.
http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/1824216/data/2/-/PuremotionHD.pdf

Samsung splashed a new coat of paint of the GS3. Nokia completely overhauled the internals of the 900. No comparison there, sorry.

Indeed, LG revealed a 5" 1080p screen before HTC announced the Butterfly.

You are just....lol

He wasn't talking about LCD vs SMOLED. LOL

He was just talking about how hilarious it is that you are stretching far enough to mention phone color as a Samsung negative. So are you saying that if Samsung used an LCD then they can use silver but if they use AMOLED they have to use black or they are idiots? Please. That is the silliest thing I ever heard and I have heard a lot, mainly from you.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I dont even get why someone uses the "rehashed SGS3" as some sort of argument. I mean, the Lumia 920 is just a rehashed N9. Unless their problem with the rehashing is that they rehashed a phone that had a bad design according to these people (my problem with Ativ S, Samsung has had some gorgeous devices before, but the SGS3 or Ativ arnt one of them :p).

I used to say the same about the Galaxy S3 when it came out. Then I hold it in my hand and everything changed. It sacrifices looks for comfort.

The 900 is so unwieldy, I never want to grab it when my clients ask for a cover because I feel it's just going to slip out and break. But the S3 is light and fits great in my hand, I grab it with confidence.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I stand by Metalchick's comment: the Ativ is just a rehashed SIII. Yes, they added a bit of flair to the design. It is a little like arguing with Porsche fans who claim that every new 911 is "completely different" than the old one when it is literally the same with minor incremental improvements.

The 920 has a whole bucketload of features over the 900 - the Ativ doesn't. So that point is moot.

As for the screen, for the vast majority of people anything in the "good enough" range is brilliant. I cannot think of many that would complain about the sharpness on any of the three phones being compared - simply because they can't tell the difference. The bigger screen on the Ativ, though, will be the alluring factor but apart from that there is little that differentiates them in terms of "who has the better screen". Maybe to you, as a techie, it is a big deal but I honestly won't care that much if the display is 332 ppi vs. 326 ppi. That brings me to another point, that 1080p screen you are touting on the "butterfly". Here's why it is kind of irrelevant to the vast majority of people with vision: Apple describes uses the term "Retina Display" for devices that "have a high enough pixel density that the human eye is unable to notice pixelation at a typical viewing distance" - meaning that anything beyond that number (say that number is 326 ppi, for example) is an utterly irrelevant spec. If you cannot pick out individual pixels on the screen, why would it matter if it is 440 ppi or 326 ppi? After a point, it is literally the same thing - a bit like packing in more horsepower in an automobile; after a point, it just won't make a noticeable difference.

Yes, the 1080p resolution would be amazing too look at but how much better will it be from the best screens that are currently out there? not much (see logic above). Moreover, these are incremental innovations to the screen (going from 720p to 1080p, 300 ppi -> 400 ppi, 30 Hz to 60 Hz) - there is nothing revolutionary about it, it is just refining what already is expected of a device. Being able to use the screen with gloves on, on the other hand, is revolutionary. Maybe you don't live in a cold climate, and (naturally) don't understand the pain of having to take your gloves of but is it really that hard to see the advantage? And the direct sunlight bit is actually super useful. I've played around with the 900 under such conditions and it beats anything out there - it is very much real. You'll have to take my word for it anyways since you said the same about the "only guy who saw the two side by side".

I see your point, the Ativ is being treated a little unfairly and Nokia is riding the hype train but ask yourself, what has Samsung (and up until recently HTC) done for the platform? How have they tried to distinguish their devices from their other operations? The answer is they haven't. Both were focused on bringing in rehashed designs (HTC is less guilty of this) from Android and slapping WP on it - that seems like a half hearted effort to me. The Ativ is just that then; a half-hearted effort. Yes, it is a solid offering with some noticeable advantages but that doesn't take away from the fact that Samsung has been abysmal at supporting their phones and/or trying to differentiate hardware from others.

So what are you guys saying here?

This is what I get from the weak WP ****** arguments.

Metal Chick - The Ativ S looks just like the GS3 except the shape is completely different and everything else is in a different place.

Angry Nil - If you use AMOLED technology you have to make your phone black even though Nokia had pink phones with AMOLED. Then some rehashed speech about LCD > AMOLED even when no one was debating that topic.

Pulkit/yourself - Both the Ativ S and L920 use the same processor, have the same amount of ram, have similar battery sizes, similar screen resolutions etc.; yet Nokia is trying harder because the GS3 exists?

I think you have everything backwards here.

Focus S - Ativ S is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH bigger jump than the Lumia 900 - 920. So if you would just remove that pathetic mental block that makes you associate the GS3 as a last gen Windows phone, you would see the big picture.

If Nokia had a Lumia 910 for Meego that was very similar to the 920 in specs, that doesn't take anything away from the 920. Just the fact that you would write off the Ativ S as not trying because the GS3 exists shows me how misguided you are.

Expecting Samsung to pour another few billion into R&D just to differentiate between the GS3 is hilarious and laughable. And by chance even if they wanted to use a S4 pro chip or an Exynos 5 and 2gb of ram and Super Amoled 1080 p HD plus in the Ativ S, Microsoft wouldn't let them wanting to keep everything Qualcomm S4 dual.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't need to be so harsh Tomatoes, I understand how annoying it must be for you but it's always nice to keep things civil in here.

I get the most hateful kinds of private messages yet I try to never lose my cool. Though is so refreshing looking at someone that see things for my perspective. Some of the argument are pretty crazy yes.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The 8X is the perfect phone.

I call it the Goldilocks phone.

It isn't a big thick heavy 920-style brick, but it isn't flimsy and insubstantial either.

It has a great camera, without having to make the phone materially larger and heavier to get token improvements.

It has plenty of storage plus SkyDrive.

It has a gorgeous, crisp and easy-to-read display that doesn't rely on marketing buzzwords. I guess you could say the display is "quietly brilliant."

Oh, and HTC is shipping it on every single carrier... the only WP8 OEM to do so.

Not too big, not too small, not too boastful, not too heavy, not too marketing buzzwordy, not too "exclusive." Juuuuuuust right. :D

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess you could say the display is "quietly brilliant."

clap%20clap.gif

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

It isn't a big thick heavy 920-style brick, but it isn't flimsy and insubstantial either.

It has a great camera, without having to make the phone materially larger and heavier to get token improvements.

It has a gorgeous, crisp and easy-to-read display that doesn't rely on marketing buzzwords. I guess you could say the display is "quietly brilliant."

Oh, and HTC is shipping it on every single carrier... the only WP8 OEM to do so.

Not too big, not too small, not too boastful, not too heavy, not too marketing buzzwordy, not too "exclusive." Juuuuuuust right. :D

And at least here signifigantly cheaper than it's equivalents from Nokia and Samsung. I'm personally getting the Lumia 920, no doubt about it, but I agree with what you say and also lift a hat off to them for the cheaper price which I'm sure will do it's part in getting new customers to the ecosystem.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Really? Super LCD isn't a buzzword? Also nice description on a screen you haven't seen.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Super LCD2 already exist, most of us had seeing the screen in person in the One devices. Can you say the same about Puremotion+HD?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

If it just wasn't so skinny for it's height. I just can't get past that. So it's not just right for everyone.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Well that depends on the person. not just yourself. If someone likes light phones with the good looks. Then 8X it is then. If a person is willing to sacrifice weight with Pureview Camera and sensitive screen and Wireless Charging then the 920 is the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett