need advice from our members!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
so i a may be forced to switch carriers, and a part of me is excited. i have been with verizon for 10 years and they have been great, but i recently moved and i get virtually no signal at my new address. i am 99% sure i will be able to cancel my contract without a fee here in a few days, due the amount of dropped calls, even with a network extender.

that being said, i am 100% sure i am switching to att, as i have already tried tmo and sprint. both of which were dreadful.

so now the decision lies on which phone to get? i am pretty torn on the 8x and the 820. heres what i like / dislike, and help me to decide.

8x looks amazing, large screen, thin profile, beats audio, vibrant screen, great hardware, and great specs. big dislike is no expandable memory. 8 gb is way too little, 16 gb will suffice no problem. however the 16gb version is 199.

820 also looks amazing, almost perfect size as 920 is too bulky for my likings, great screen, expandable memory, nokia apps, great hardware, and great camera. big dislike is 480x800 is resolution, 1650 mah battery worries me, bezels. however this thing is only 49
!!! so it would all boil down to are the extras the htc gives me worth the extra 150 dollars? not sure... help me decide

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I would go for the 8X as it has the better hardware as you've found.

I wouldn't worry too much at the lack of storage as the new sync software will let you change around your music pretty easily.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Check what you can do with the SD card on the phone. The surface needs to be tricked into using the SD card for apps and such. Have to mount it as you would a network device in windows. This is possible on surface because you can get to the in depth settings. SD card may only be able to store media so you will be stuck with an 8gb phone for most stuff. Music and videos and maybe photos should work with the card, but not completely sure.

Only devices I would buy from the first WP8 crop is the ativ-s and 920. After seeing that the camera on the 920 is only average in daylight, I am favoring the Ativ. But the nokia apps are intriguing.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Check what you can do with the SD card on the phone. The surface needs to be tricked into using the SD card for apps and such. Have to mount it as you would a network device in windows. This is possible on surface because you can get to the in depth settings. SD card may only be able to store media so you will be stuck with an 8gb phone for most stuff. Music and videos and maybe photos should work with the card, but not completely sure.

Only devices I would buy from the first WP8 crop is the ativ-s and 920. After seeing that the camera on the 920 is only average in daylight, I am favoring the Ativ. But the nokia apps are intriguing.
In WP8, you can change the setting in the Storage part of the settings to tell the phone to store new music or photos on the storage card. I assume that syncing software would also allow the same behaviour.

beyondthepale35

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, thats the 8 gb version. I just got my moms 820 in the mail, definitely not a bad device at all, screen still looks very good. and just as zippy as the 920. But if you want higher end specs, better camera, etc, Id go with the 8x.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought the 920 would be too bulky/heavy too, until I actually handled it.

If you haven't had a 920 in your hand yet, I would wait until you do before you decide. For me it was an easy decision once I actually held the phone and used it a bit. The 8X just doesn't compare (for me).

You could always try and wait for the Samsung ATIV too.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
In WP8, you can change the setting in the Storage part of the settings to tell the phone to store new music or photos on the storage card. I assume that syncing software would also allow the same behaviour.

This blows my mind. How was MSFT's WP8 team able to integrated SD cards into libraries, but Win8 is not able to without some workarounds? Win8 does not allow networked storage, external storage, or removable storage to be added to libraries. This is just unbelievable.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234