IE 10 Drop Down Menu Problem

peterh226

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a lot of problems navigating sites with drop down menus. Walmart.com, Lowes.com and many other sites... When you click on the menu, the drop down appears but does not stay visible so you can pick a sub-menu item. For my wife this was a show stopper. These sites work fine on the iPhone.
Am I missing something here? It really makes it hard to surf a lot of sites.

Thanks for any comments.
Lumia 920

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Normally when you click on a drop down it will bring up a special full screen list view selector.

I cannot tell you why you aren't seeing this. Provide a link directly to a page that has it for people to test?

peterh226

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it might work on slow phones, but the 920 does not give me a chance. After playing with this and surfing, my wife wants an iPhone 5...

I'm just trying to figure out how people are not going nuts about this one. :confused:

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a lot of problems navigating sites with drop down menus. Walmart.com, Lowes.com and many other sites... When you click on the menu, the drop down appears but does not stay visible so you can pick a sub-menu item. For my wife this was a show stopper. These sites work fine on the iPhone.
Am I missing something here? It really makes it hard to surf a lot of sites.

Thanks for any comments.
Lumia 920
Have you tried putting the browser into desktop mode? I have the same problem with some sites (granted I'm using IE9), and switching to desktop mode has always fixed it.

Filipe Martins

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I confirm I have this problem on Surface RT and WP8.

It looks like the equivalent of 'hovering' the mouse behaviour isn't being replicated properly on IE10. I have had several discussions with Surface RT and they acknowledge this is happening and are looking into it. I have been on the phone everyday to keep them on their toes but the highest number of people that do that the quicker they will sort out the patch.

The only thing I haven't been able to test is whether this happens on a touchscreen running Win8 (my laptop isn't touch enabled unfortunately...)

I am yet to call WP8 support to do the same... The work around it at the moment on my surface is to use the trackpad to hover the mouse, let the drop-down menu open and then touch the relevant link.

I am starting to get a bit frustrated I've got to confess... This is basic java programming... to add to the **** up that SSL authentication tick box doesn't shown when connecting with ActiveSync on the mail app and I am struggling to recommend the Windows solution for general implementation at my company.

Please get on the phones to the Surface and WP8 support to get them to look into the issue, the more the merrier.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Either web developers start testing their websites for IE10 mobile compatibility, or we get more standards compliant browsers like Opera, Firefox or Chrome on Windows Phone.

Unfortunately until one or both of those things happens, this is going to be a recurring story.

ace182

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem on both my Surface and my WP8 (Lumia 920). And the worst of it is one of the sites I need is for work and I cant use it so Im back on my laptop to try and get acces to the site. They need to fix this ASAP. Makes the browser unusable on some sites.

wingcutter

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Same issue on my 920. I am stunned by MS' stupitity. I am loving my 920 dispite WP8 early adopter issues, but this is enough to drive me crazy... Enough to drive me back to my old phone.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Same issue on my 920. I am stunned by MS' stupitity. I am loving my 920 dispite WP8 early adopter issues, but this is enough to drive me crazy... Enough to drive me back to my old phone.
Dont blame MS here...its a practice in web development to test rendering of sites on different browsers before pushing them for use. The site is not yet optimized for mobile IE and Walmart needs to fix it. Not MS unless its a issue with the browser not following standards, which I highly doubt

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The issue is that MS is doing the right "computer" thing and that Apple is doing the right "user" thing.

When WebKit sees a mouseover/hover attribute on an HTML element, it translates the first tap event into a mouseover event and the second tap to a click event. IE (8, 9, 10, desktop, tablet, phone) all treat a tap as a tap. (I don't know what Firefox and Opera do. Chrome is WebKit-based, so it probably does the same thing that Safari does.)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Dont blame MS here...its a practice in web development to test rendering of sites on different browsers before pushing them for use. The site is not yet optimized for mobile IE and Walmart needs to fix it. Not MS unless its a issue with the browser not following standards, which I highly doubt

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for web devs to go out of their way to update their sites to work with an OS that is only on 2-3% of the smartphones out there.

The real answer is Microsoft needs to allow us to have a WebKit browser too, for situations such as this.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for web devs to go out of their way to update their sites to work with an OS that is only on 2-3% of the smartphones out there.
This won't be a 2-3% issue for long: Windows 8 Pro and RT both have the same issue. Site developers will fix their code to be touch aware or lose access to far more users. The market will drive the fix.

WebKit already works with touch because it "lies" to the underlying JavaScript about what actually happened. (Note, I think that they made the right decision here -- there were no standards upon which to base any action and the one that they chose made the most sense to users.) There is a touch standard being considered (submitted by MS, I think). WebKit should adopt it and developers should code for it, without chucking their existing support for non-touch (and by extension for fake-touch) browers.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This won't be a 2-3% issue for long: Windows 8 Pro and RT both have the same issue. Site developers will fix their code to be touch aware or lose access to far more users. The market will drive the fix.

I hope you are right, but I think even with the best possible conditions, we will see at best 10...MAYBE 15% marketshare within two years. This is assuming Microsoft keeps pressing developers and addresses the shortcomings of the OS promptly, Nokia sticks around and keeps making great phones and all goes well.

I don't think some people appreciate just how hard it is to gain marketshare when people have been firmly invested in one platform for years. As great as Windows Phone is, it still doesn't have many killer features that will convince massive numbers of people to defect from their OS of choice.

I do think we will see steady growth, but like I said, 5-10% growth over two years is optimistic, that would be a substantial increase over the LAST two years.

Developers and websites are not going to really care about making stuff 100% compatible and catering to us in large numbers until we have something more like 25%+ marketshare and I think thats at least 3 years away.

As for Windows RT, if the current tablet sales numbers are any indication, I don't think it will be any help at all in getting people to adapt to mobile IE.

The short term answer for us is still a WebKit browser alternative for Windows Phone, unless you want to wait 2-3 years to be able to view the non-mobile versions of every single website and be able to know with confidence you can operate almost any drop down menu on a site.

I know I don't want to wait 2-3 years+ while Microsoft stubbornly tries to make mobile IE and Bing stick. Give us some $#$%*@ options.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Asking them to test it on mobile IE is like asking them to test it for Netscape 3.0 ... You have to realize, outside our little bubble here almost NO ONE uses this browser. If they run some stats on their website, they are going to see 1.2% of visitors running mobile IE and they are not going to give a sh**.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
IE 10 on my ThinkPad with Windows 8 and a touchscreen handles touches exactly the same way that Win RT and WP8 do. As Win8/IE10 gain share, developers will make changes. We've already done this at http://drexel.edu, but you can't really see it on the phone because the design is responsive and falls into a mobile layout, just as it does for Android and iPhone. Others will follow us.

That said, unless Win8 grows quickly and drives people to touchscreens, the programmers will follow later rather than sooner.

SocialCarpet is right that market share changes slowly in the mobile world. Our mobile app, which is used only by our students, faculty, and staff, is available on four platforms (and was also available for webOS). Looking at our downloads, WP represents under 3%, and it's growing in at the expense of BB, but iOS or Android. Still, it's growing rather than shrinking...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism