How Much Storage is Really Available?

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I just posted a news article in the Surface forum about a lawyer who is trying to build a class action suit against MS since his "32GB" Surface tablet really only had 16GB available since the other 16 were taken up by programs/software/pre-installed stuff.

So have any new WP8 phone users checked to see how much of the stated device storage is actually available for your use? This could make the need for an SD card option much more important.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
on my 920...after I deleted the at&t apps, nokia city lens and etc I had about 29.

Right now I have about 17.8GB free (8.3GB of videos installed )

The OS/System uses 1.71gb
Apps about 218gb
Other 1.1gb
Music/video: 8.29gb

The one thing that does concern me is the 'Other'...I have no idea what it is as it uses 1.1GB. I know I downloaded the entire state of Ohio but it was only 0.11GB

redir

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
29 GB and that lawyer is pretty silly to file a case as it is obvious that the hardware does have a hard-drive capacity of 32 GB with nothing on it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I just posted a news article in the Surface forum about a lawyer who is trying to build a class action suit against MS since his "32GB" Surface tablet really only had 16GB available since the other 16 were taken up by programs/software/pre-installed stuff.

So have any new WP8 phone users checked to see how much of the stated device storage is actually available for your use? This could make the need for an SD card option much more important.
What a scumbag. I bet this guy spends his days chasing ambulances.

If this ever makes it anywhere near a courtroom here is the senario I see happening:

Scumbag lawyer presents his Surface
MS Engineer requets to see it
MS Engineer wipes the device
MS Engineer hands back device with full amount of storge as advertised
Judge dismisses case
Scumbag lawyer starts throwing a tantrum in courtroom

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
A lawsuit like this might create some discussion about a possible need for standards, though, in terms of truthfully advertising the available device storage, whether on phones or tablets or laptops. Maybe there are already rules for this, but in my electronics shopping I've never seen anything that looks standardized when promoting the full hard drive capacity specs along with the remaining available storage after OS and other programs are pre-loaded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes