01-09-2015 03:27 AM
358 ... 131415
tools
    I have 17GB in other storage on my 920. But GDR2 keeps my free storage from 1.1.-1.5 free. Can't reset because I'll lose my whatsapp messages :(
    U can backup these messages and reset the phone. on Reinstallation of Whatsapp it will ask for Restore.
    10-05-2013 04:37 AM
    Looks like a hit & miss as I have read some people having some success and others like me GDR2 did not free up any space for me at all which came as a disappointment. Have had GDR2 for nearly month now and was hoping to see some gradual improvement over time but it has done nothing on my phone.

Now I ran out of space, some live tiles don't function properly, some apps do not work and just close automatically. I have now removed a few apps and games to free up space but whats the point, I'm figuring that will soon be eaten up too. It is a joke that here is this nice OS and the modern hardware to support it yet to it cannot be used for everyday tasks.

I don't know if Microsoft have drawn the line under the "Other storage" problem when they said its fixed in GDR2 but if they don't actually fix it properly all that market share they have gained they will eventually lose a chunk of it and not grow properly as they should. In the short term picture wp is growing but new users don't realize this issue until they have used it for a few months and then they will get annoyed and leave.

WP is a very fluid and at the same time a good looking OS. Yet here is an incredibly inefficient way it handles this storage. Space is one of those things that is a premium on any mobile device and and wp is thriving on low to mid-range phones which mostly have 8gb storage so its surprising this still is not being taken seriously.
    Once u factory reset the phone after GDR2, the other storage will not go up. Try it.
    10-05-2013 04:38 AM
    U can backup these messages and reset the phone. on Reinstallation of Whatsapp it will ask for Restore.
    That's if you uninstall the app not reset the device.
    10-05-2013 05:45 AM
    is other storage issue solved in gdr3 Lumia Black?
    05-18-2014 01:29 PM
    I have a 1520 running Black but it doesn't have an "Other" category, although I do have a "Temporary Files" category taking up about 1.5 GB. There's an option to delete them which I have tried about a dozen times, but it doesn't do anything. It sits there acting like it's doing something for several minutes but when it's done nothing has changed.

My apps category went from 5GB (which I don't have anything close to), to 6.5GB by installing a file downloader program which is only a few meg. Weird.

I don't know what GDR3 means. I'm running 8.0.10521.155. Firmware is 1028.3562.1407.1001.
    05-19-2014 08:00 PM
    I have a 1520 running Black but it doesn't have an "Other" category, although I do have a "Temporary Files" category taking up about 1.5 GB. There's an option to delete them which I have tried about a dozen times, but it doesn't do anything. It sits there acting like it's doing something for several minutes but when it's done nothing has changed.

My apps category went from 5GB (which I don't have anything close to), to 6.5GB by installing a file downloader program which is only a few meg. Weird.

I don't know what GDR3 means. I'm running 8.0.10521.155. Firmware is 1028.3562.1407.1001.
    The other storage issue is a mess, but did you do a soft reset after deleting your temporary files to see if they disappear?
    05-19-2014 08:17 PM
    I just tried it, no cigar. I just noticed there are two places to check storage under Settings; "Phone Storage" and "Storage Check". The first says I have 1.5GB of temporary files and the second says I have have 447MB. Sillier and sillier. Thanks for your reply though.
    05-19-2014 08:33 PM
    01-09-2015 03:27 AM
358 ... 131415
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD