WP8 Annoyance

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 822 for 5 days now and I realize no OS is perfect but there is one thing I have found that annoys me like crazy. The music volume is attached together with the ringer volume. I watch a decent amount of videos on my phone and I keep the volume at 0 or 1 for the video. Then my ringer volume is set to that same amount. I have used both Android and iOS and on both of those the media volume was separate from the ringer volume.

Has anybody else come across this or know if Microsoft is planning on fixing it?

JAR71

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree, with that. I also got a Lumia 920 last week and I was very happy at first because the phone looks elegant, smooth and alive.
However as I started to use it I noticed the following Annoyances which are the cause for me to return it tomorrow:

1) Volume is the same for videos and ringer. very annoying, also a ring/vibrate button like the iPhone would be a great idea.

2) In order to fast forward videos, you must press either forward or back software buttons, video jumps segments after pressing button, not smooth as the iphone where you can slide with your finger to the part you want. Very annoying too.

3) The Battery Life, OMG, it eats battery like if is powering a whole house. Not good.

4) The camera for pictures, the autofocus is slow and take blurry pictures most of the time.

5) On internet explorer there is no forward button, Only back.

6) You can not tell which apps are open, which makes me think it keeps apps opened all the time, maybe the reason for it to eat battery like crazy. I read on the internet double tapping back quickly closes active apps, I tried it, but the phone still eats battery like a hungry horse. a task manager should be implemented so that people can pick what to keep open or not.

7) There is no way to take a snap shot of a video like in the iphone, which is a nice feature missing.

8) Contacts, needs to have favorites or speed dial.

9) when cleaning the txt messages it should give the option to clean the contents of the chat and keep the person ready to message again, like on the iphone

10) A smart Siri like system should be added (even I am not crazy about it)

In conclusion, It is a nice OS and a nice phone, but at the moment it can not fully compete with the iphone, if they were to correct the 10 issues above and were to allow the phone to play flash content, the phone could be an iphone killer right of the box. Of course there is not much apps for it either, but they would start to come.
Unfortunately I am voting against this nice Lumia 920 due to the annoyances and once more I am going for the old boring iphone, Ill get an iphone 5, which looks like the Iphone 4 but a bit longer, faster than the 4 OK, so what, still the same old phone.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree, with that. I also got a Lumia 920 last week and I was very happy at first because the phone looks elegant, smooth and alive.
However as I started to use it I noticed the following Annoyances which are the cause for me to return it tomorrow:

1) Volume is the same for videos and ringer. very annoying, also a ring/vibrate button like the iPhone would be a great idea.

Personal preference but separate volume controls would be nice

2) In order to fast forward videos, you must press either forward or back software buttons, video jumps segments after pressing button, not smooth as the iphone where you can slide with your finger to the part you want. Very annoying too.
This is called scrubbing. While it is a certainly a nice feature to have, again it is a personal preference.

3) The Battery Life, OMG, it eats battery like if is powering a whole house. Not good.

Can't really speak to this as I own a Lumia 810 that will go over 30 hours on a single charge. Anecdotally, my brother and sister-in-law have 920s and both claim to be getting very good battery life.

4) The camera for pictures, the autofocus is slow and take blurry pictures most of the time.
Again, I don't own one so I can't really comment.

5) On internet explorer there is no forward button, Only back.
I just pull up recent pages to go forward. However, I wish it acted like Metro IE10 in Windows 8 and you could just swipe left and right to go backward and forward.

6) You can not tell which apps are open, which makes me think it keeps apps opened all the time, maybe the reason for it to eat battery like crazy. I read on the internet double tapping back quickly closes active apps, I tried it, but the phone still eats battery like a hungry horse. a task manager should be implemented so that people can pick what to keep open or not.

If coded correctly, and in my experience most are, apps do not stay open when you leave them. They are suspended in the background so do not use any resources thus do not drain battery. They are allowed to use background tasks periodically to update live tiles or push info to the app. But, the need to close apps is a hangover from other platforms. Also, double tapping does nothing. You CAN, however, back out of an app if you want by pressing the back button until you're in another app or at the Start Screen.

7) There is no way to take a snap shot of a video like in the iphone, which is a nice feature missing.

Some Android phones have this feature as well. But, it hasn't yet come to Windows Phone. Again, nice feature, but...

8) Contacts, needs to have favorites or speed dial.
This is where pinning comes in handy. Pin your most frequently contacted contacts to your Start Screen and they're right there. Alternatively, you can hold down the Start button and say, "Call such and such."

But, if you speak to people that frequently you can just use the call or messaging history. That is where most of my calls and texts are initiated.

9) when cleaning the txt messages it should give the option to clean the contents of the chat and keep the person ready to message again, like on the iphone

You can delete an entire thread if you wish. Not sure of what you mean by keeping them ready to message. Do you mean not having to go into your contacts to start a chat session again? If so, you can just tap the + to start a new thread and start typing the contact name and voila!

10) A smart Siri like system should be added (even I am not crazy about it)
Tell me functions rather well even doing some things Siri doesn't do. But, it doesn't have the frills that SIri has. I think people may be able to live without these types of services until they become markedly better. So, personal preference.

In conclusion, It is a nice OS and a nice phone, but at the moment it can not fully compete with the iphone, if they were to correct the 10 issues above and were to allow the phone to play flash content, the phone could be an iphone killer right of the box. Of course there is not much apps for it either, but they would start to come.
Unfortunately I am voting against this nice Lumia 920 due to the annoyances and once more I am going for the old boring iphone, Ill get an iphone 5, which looks like the Iphone 4 but a bit longer, faster than the 4 OK, so what, still the same old phone.

I hope the above responses help you somewhat. Overall, you have certain things that you prefer that either aren't there in WP or aren't to your liking. It really sounds like you've become so accustomed with the way you do things on iPhone, you don't want to readjust. And, I admit... I'd probably be the same way if going to an iPhone or Android device. So, good luck with the 5.

paneerakbari

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Apps that are not currently in use do not affect your battery performance. When an app is not immediately active it is "backgrounded" and its state is saved. In this mode it uses no system resources, meaning that there is no battery drain from it. When the OS needs the resources reserved by an inactive app it will "tombstone" that app, closing it automatically. The WP8 OS manages all tasks and apps in this way, eliminating the need for a user-directed task manager.

Actually, both iOS and WP use this method, Android is painfully backwards in its inability to let the OS manage itself.

lioso

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I had use Windows Phone 7 since the beginning with a HTC Mozart and now I am with wp8 with a 920.

With the Mozart I have never take any care about closing the apps, even I wanted to have more than 5 to access them faster. But now, after my first weeks with an awful battery bad ( worse than my two years dead battery Mozart) I have started closing always everything pressing back. Since then I have a nice battery life. now, at least, when I am not using it, it does not use 5-6% per hour.

I do not know what to think, I know the theory but for me it does not seems to work...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon