Just came over from Android and have a question about music (was using Google Music)

Ricom1

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I have about 30 GB of music on Google Music...but I only listen to maybe 1 GB frequently (they are in GM's playlist). For streaming purposes, I only have put the songs that I listen to frequently on my phone and the rest is streamed when I feel like listening to it. I'm now on a 4GB data plan (thank you VZW for not grandfathering me) so I'm kinda stuck.

My question is, what is the best way to convert my usage to WP8 (I have a lumia 822 if that makes any difference).

I would still like to have a majority of my songs on the cloud but then I'd like to have the playlists locally. What options do I have. I apologize for the new question, but I honestly don't know where to start (xbox music? skydrive? I really don't know what most people do!).

I greatly appreciate the help!

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Try Gooroovster for streaming from Goggle Play. No downloading though.

Now that you're on WP8 it's probably time to embrace Xbox Music and Windows 8. You can try the Xbox cloud match from your PC running windows 8. Matched songs will appear on your windows phone in the Music+videos app.
Sent from my HTC Windows Phone 8x using Board Express

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You aren't going to be able to have a playlist that draws some songs from your phone's storage and some songs from the cloud unless you use Xbox music, I believe.

doitle

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This is something I've really been wondering about and a big doubt I have about switching from Android... Google Music works really great, and the fact that you can just tell it where your music is and it auto syncs all the time as you download new music without having to open anything or manage your library at all is great.

I'm not really sure what the differences are between Xbox Music and Nokia Music... Which is closest to the functionality of Google Music?

Anthony Meluso

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I too came over from Android. Google Music was rock solid. Hopefully Xbox Music gets there one day. Unless you pay for the Music Pass your cloud collection will not appear on your phone. Right now your cloud collection consists of matched music. Soon you will be able to upload your music to a digital locker like we did for Google Music. However, on a Windows 8 PC your cloud connection will appear on another Windows 8 PC without the need for Music Pass. I guess MS chose this formula based on the likely hood of someone streaming music on their phone. Anyway that may change in the future on whether the digital locker is a free service. If they do make it free it will probably be limited to a song limit like it is for Amazon Music.

I also find Xbox Music's streaming superior to Google's in terms of quality and speed.

Ricom1

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Now that you're on WP8 it's probably time to embrace Xbox Music and Windows 8. You can try the Xbox cloud match from your PC running windows 8. Matched songs will appear on your windows phone in the Music+videos app.

I looked up Xbox Music, $100/year to listen to music I already own is a bit hard to swallow (that was for the Xbox pass and I'm not sure if there's another option!). What is Xbox cloud match? Is that just a component of Xbox Music?

I currently have a 32GB card in my 822....if it's an option of spending $100/year for a subscription or spending money on a one-time upgrade to a 64GB card, that will probably be what I do.

Thanks!

doitle

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I looked up Xbox Music, $100/year to listen to music I already own is a bit hard to swallow (that was for the Xbox pass and I'm not sure if there's another option!). What is Xbox cloud match? Is that just a component of Xbox Music?

I currently have a 32GB card in my 822....if it's an option of spending $100/year for a subscription or spending money on a one-time upgrade to a 64GB card, that will probably be what I do.

Thanks!

What about Nokia Music? Does that have a subscription fee? Can that stream my music library?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
With that large of a music library your options are limited atm. If you have an 822 the 64 GB card is probably your best bet. At least for the short-term. Does anyone know whether 128 GB cards work in the 8xx series phones?

Drewstwitts

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Be warned, my 64 and 32 gb cards in my 820 have caused a lot of problem with playing my music. Only a 16gb card seems to work without issues.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What about Nokia Music? Does that have a subscription fee? Can that stream my music library?

Nokia music is free, but they are all premade playlists. You cannot choose specific songs. You pretty much choose a genre or top 100 billboard or something like that and it plays from there. It does allow for offline caching of up to 4 playlists so you don't have to use data to listen to them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes