DATA usage is exceptionally higher after switching from android

goixiz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I average about 70-80 MB per month when i was on android. This month im at 160 MB and i started 10 days into the month.
I suspect that I am using LTE/4G even when there is wifi and it is not switching over. I am able to tell with android because i have the 3G watchdog app. and it alarms me if i get close to my 200MB limit.

Question
1. is it possible to check which data its using wi-fi or LTE when both is available ?
2. Is it possible to limit the LTE/4G to only emails that are less than XX Kb so that it not downloading when im travelling to and from destinatoin
3. is it possible to control which apps can utilize the LTE/4G

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You might want to limit any use of live tiles.

You might also want to sync emails manually.

Do you have access to WiFi? I find that I use less than 80mb per month. And I'm on my phone the time. But I use WiFi when I'm at home.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Also consider that in the beginning that we're likely to use more, as we play with our phones, set them up, discover new features, don't realize what may be using data when we could be switching to wifi, downloading apps, downloading maps, downloading music...... Just a few thoughts.....

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have some background apps or something (lots of email/MMS?) going on. I used less than 200 MB in 3 weeks and that was me actively taking care to not download apps over cell, limited browsing, etc. I went with AT&Ts GoPhone 65/mo plan that included 1 GB of data so I wanted to take it easy the first month as I got used to the phone.

To answer your questions though, no there is no way to control if the apps can only use WiFi and not use LTE - at least none that I am aware of.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I used up 300 MB in 2 days. But then again, not complaining because I love to do stuff on my WP than Android more. Android never got me glued to the screen for "real" smartphone use other than adding/removing widgets or themes to make it look perfect!

What might help is in settings - turning off all data related stuff and switching it on app by app basis. I know it might look tedious at first but it generally is the way you use than what you use that eats up data.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I average about 70-80 MB per month when i was on android. This month im at 160 MB and i started 10 days into the month.
I suspect that I am using LTE/4G even when there is wifi and it is not switching over. I am able to tell with android because i have the 3G watchdog app. and it alarms me if i get close to my 200MB limit.

Question
1. is it possible to check which data its using wi-fi or LTE when both is available ?
2. Is it possible to limit the LTE/4G to only emails that are less than XX Kb so that it not downloading when im travelling to and from destinatoin
3. is it possible to control which apps can utilize the LTE/4G

For #1 - Data Sense (on my Verizon HTC 8X) has an oft-missed feature. Open the app then slide Right. It'll display how much Cellular and Wifi activity various apps have consumed over the last 30 days. It's not a match for the awesome 3G Watchdog you mentioned. But the usage breakdown by app is something Watchdog doesn't provide (now if we could just get that awesome Wifi Analyzer app ported from Droid to WP8, I'd be thrilled!).

For #2 and #3, there isn't a matching functionality as there is on Droids to limit the email size to XX bytes and/or not download the attechment if it's larger than XX bytes. For those with limited data plans, these are sorely missed features Windows Phone users don't have today that were commonplace on Droids.

Under settings for the Data Sense app, you can set a limit and it will attempt to limit usage over your cellular network and become inceasingly aggressive (popping warnings and encoruaging you to get to a wifi location) as you get nearer to your configured limit. But that doesn't allow to fine-tune the amount of content your mail will download from the Phone like you're used to.

I hope that helps.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
When your phones screen is off and it is not plugged into power, it will turn WiFi off. I'd probably make sure u leave it plugged in over night and what not.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just some random comments:

Data Sense is currently a VZW exclusive.

Aside from live tiles, check background tasks in the applications section of the phone settings.

WiFi won't always automatically switch or notify you if available networks. You'll need to check the settings for that. Any saved network will be connected to if the SSID is broadcasting and WiFi is turned on. If the SSID is bot, you may not connect unless you've specified in the settings.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To add to all the other suggestions: turn off all forms of data backup in the settings, enable them when you actually feel like backing up - saves battery life and data

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
To add to all the other suggestions: turn off all forms of data backup in the settings, enable them when you actually feel like backing up - saves battery life and data
Mine are off and I am on pace to use 3X's more data on WP8 than iOS in a month...it is due to the wifi shutoff "feature" that lets streaming services chew through data once the screen shuts off even if wifi is available...

evilkingteapot

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I used over 9GB in a month - according to DataSense over 8.5GB on a POP3 email address although I had 500MB on another POP3 address. Funny thing is - both mail accounts have an email size limit of 10MB...............Is it trying to download all headers each time it syncs?

So I don't know what it's doing when it connects to POP3 accounts but whatever it does seems to suck down data.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2