Manual Cursor Placement

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else getting irritated when trying to place the cursor in a specific place in text?
If there are multiple lines, I keep getting it on the wrong line.
I just held on IOS (the one a couple lines down) and it put the cursor at the end of the line above this one.
Plus, I can't see where it will be because my thumb is in the way.
I actually am starting to like IOS and android's way of doing it more.
I don't like that I can't move the cursor if I get it in the wrong spot.
It really amazes me how many things that worked really well in windows mobile have been changed.
Sent from my Verizon HTC 8X using Board Express

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a problem. It seems to snap in place. Also my thumb is never in the way as the cursor always appears above it

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you know that like iOS you can press and hold when in text and get a more precise cursor, like the iOS magnifying glass? I use that all the time and am much more accurate

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I like to rip on Apple, but their way to move that cursor with the little magnifying glass is by far the best way I've ever seen on any platform. Everybody should just copy that method. They all steal each other's ideas anyway.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a problem. It seems to snap in place. Also my thumb is never in the way as the cursor always appears above it
That's precisely the point...
When I press my finger, it is covering where I want to place the cursor.
The curse is horizontally showing where it will end up, but I can't see what letters it is between, because of my finger.
JJ

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
That's precisely the point...
When I press my finger, it is covering where I want to place the cursor.
The curse is horizontally showing where it will end up, but I can't see what letters it is between, because of my finger.
JJ

lol slide down a bit then. it wasnt made to put the cursor where you touch. that is how it is done on android. the cursor will appear wherever you touch to edit.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
lol slide down a bit then. it wasnt made to put the cursor where you touch. that is how it is done on android. the cursor will appear wherever you touch to edit.

Hmmm...
That doesn't seem accurate to what I'm seeing.
I just held my finger down on a blank line under "Hmmm..."
The cursor bar was shown on "touch" a couple lines above.
I just made a realization, though.
You can grab your finger around after the cursor shows up.
It works, maybe well, but it certainly isn't intuitive.

mithodge

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...
That doesn't seem accurate to what I'm seeing.
I just held my finger down on a blank line under "Hmmm..."
The cursor bar was shown on "touch" a couple lines above.
I just made a realization, though.
You can grab your finger around after the cursor shows up.
It works, maybe well, but it certainly isn't intuitive.

I would agree that it needs work. They should lock the scrolling when the cursor is activated. If someone wants to put the cursor in a line not in view, they should first have to scroll to the line they want and then activate the cursor. The current implementation causes too much scrolling when using the keyboard in landscape.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
You know you can drag it around and place it anywhere you like. Not just where you press.
BINGO!

It took me a bit to work this out. But I don't even think about trying to tap the screen exactly where I want the cursor. I just press, and hold, then the cursor "I beam" shows up above my finger, then I drag that around to where I want the cursor exactly.

Honestly, once I figured that out, I like it over iOS.

edfungus

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
BINGO!

It took me a bit to work this out. But I don't even think about trying to tap the screen exactly where I want the cursor. I just press, and hold, then the cursor "I beam" shows up above my finger, then I drag that around to where I want the cursor exactly.

Honestly, once I figured that out, I like it over iOS.

Thats exactly how I felt! I was so confused then suddenly it is like... woah this is amazing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon