Are live tiles better in WP8?

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
This all sounds like bad news. I'm still currently on WP7 and my tiles work fine as long as I don't install more than say 2 o 3 apps. Kik never worked well even after resetting my phone to factory state, so I dumped it for Talkbox which has been working fine, tile included. Yet, I'm afraid to install more apps cause everytime I did that in the past it meant trouble.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
None of my live tiles update. None. Not the Me tile, not my two group tiles. None. It's been a few weeks now, and no reinstalling, repinning, IE history clearing, soft reseting has solved any of the issues.

I love to blame Apple/iOS as much as anyone, but the iPhone and Apple products' reliability is something many take for granted. Periodic freezing/crashing, and ineffective live tiles are really making me question my WP8 conversion last month.

There is something wrong with your phone. This is not a common issue. iPhone has had plenty of reliability issues too. Antenna gate? Apple Maps? And other bugs occur on iOS as well. Just sitting here *****ing about it won't do you any good. Talk to your carrier, the phone manufacturer, Microsoft, any one of them. Have you reset your phone?

Ive had no issue with live tiles other than occasional 3rd party apps breaking their own code with an update.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I constantly have live tile issues. I dont use a ton of live tiles, only 3 really matter, but they never work. Ill do all of the things suggested, and sometimes they start working fine, and 2 days later theyre frozen again. I understand that 1 of the main ways to fix things is to fully uninstall and reinstall, but i dont want to lose all of the info i have in TvShow so i dont uninstall that 1. Battery sense and weather programs have to be uninstalled/reinstalled every few days, internet history has to be wiped, soft resets......the amount of crap i have to do just to make the phone/apps work the way theyre supposed to is driving me insane.

Shawn

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Only the built in MS live tiles work all the time for me. The 3rd party live tiles never work for long if at all.
Not a big fan of live tiles anyways so the 3rd party lives tiles not working reliably doesn't bug me too much.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I constantly have live tile issues. I dont use a ton of live tiles, only 3 really matter, but they never work. Ill do all of the things suggested, and sometimes they start working fine, and 2 days later theyre frozen again. I understand that 1 of the main ways to fix things is to fully uninstall and reinstall, but i dont want to lose all of the info i have in TvShow so i dont uninstall that 1. Battery sense and weather programs have to be uninstalled/reinstalled every few days, internet history has to be wiped, soft resets......the amount of crap i have to do just to make the phone/apps work the way theyre supposed to is driving me insane.

Shawn
Mine randomly stop working and I usually find some roque app that I had blocked in background tasks got re-enabled following an app update, so I re-block those tasks, restart, give it a couple hours and they are all working again. Of the ~5-7 times my live tiles have stopped working, only once have I gone through the effort you have and it still didn't result in a faster restore of live tile activity than what I described above.

DiscoPiglet

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Shawn

I didn't realize until after a hard reset that you can backup, via SkyDrive, email, etc. your TVShow data.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You guys also have to understand that some apps require location to be enabled, i.e HTC or Nokia Drive. These apps' Live Tiles obviously wouldn't work if location is not enabled. Granted, there are potential ways around that, but for the most part those apps require them.

As for the news apps like WPC, CNN, BCC, their live tile updates have to be enabled in their respective Settings pages, as with Facebook. In addition, I have all of my live tiles enabled in background tasks to ensure that the news i receive will be on my phone as they appear in the app.

First-party apps including People, Me, Messaging, and the like have gorgeous live tiles, but if they do not work for you, you can reset the live tiles by resizing the tile to 1*1, then back to the desired size. That often works for me when the Photos tile doesn't show desirable photos or if I were to experiment with the tile sizes, for I would see the tile reset itself when doing so.

My live tiles have had no problems whatsoever because of the above tips, fyi.

Hope this helps 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk