Privacy breach: Smartphone or Suckerphone?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I choose to fight.
That is a fight that you are guaranteed to lose. The only way to avoid this is to not own a cell phone, don't use credit cards, and don't use the Internet. I knew a guy who was paranoid about the Internet back in the mid-1990's when it was just starting. If he stayed paranoid then maybe he's one of those few that are "off the grid", but in general some company or the government will know what you've been doing to a great degree of accuracy. Did you read the article that Laura linked above?

You can't fight the machine, bro.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh my god! They know where I am!

Whatever.

It doesn't bother me that they know what websites I have been on, what I have purchased, what movies I watch, what games I play. I don't even care if they are watching me with a camera in the elevator, walking down the street or driving my car.

I will fight when I see the camera in my house, until then. Watch away boys, watch away. The matrix has me, and I love the taste of a rare steak!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, while I admit I think Google is a tad evil, it's not cos of the advertisements. It's more to do with the kind of somewhat naive things like trying to steal other companies thunder when they have a big launch day by scheduling some kind of event themselves just to pull the presses away from the competition. Avoiding taxes is also one (although I guess "who isnt guilty of that?"). Like generally speaking I feel that Google isn't being punished for somewhat inappropriately using it's monopoly'ish situation to their advantage much like Microsoft was back in the 90s.

I agree 100% that Google is getting away with murder on the monopoly front. I think part of the reason for that though is most of what they make they give away for free, while Microsoft charges for nearly everything. That said, they should still be under much more scrutiny than they are for their anticompetitive behaviors.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, you're being tracked regardless. Speeding cameras, CCTV cameras in shops, buses, trains, et al. There is no way to stop yourself being tracked.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Tbh, you're being tracked regardless. Speeding cameras, CCTV cameras in shops, buses, trains, et al. There is no way to stop yourself being tracked.
Exactly. It's not all about cell phones and the Internet. Using debit/credit cards is another way you get tracked.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I thought MS was not evil like Google with regards to personal privacy. However, yesterday I opened the Pizza Hut app on my WP to see about getting a pizza. A couple of hours later I went to the MSN app to check on the news and what did I see? A Pizza Hut ad. I don't like this. What I do on my phone should not be tracked by anyone unless they plan to pay me for it. So, I pay for the phone, pay for data service, and then my use of the phone is harvested for free in order to sell me stuff. I've been suckered and I don't like it.

Anyone else feel this way?

And this has never happened to you before?

Let's face it:
There's no such thing as privacy online. Search engines store your queries. Your ISP can track your internet usage. Heck, your (American) government can even read your email; all without you knowing it.

You are being tracked. Right now. And there's nothing you can do about it.
:devil:

Mr.Willie

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually, while I admit I think Google is a tad evil, it's not cos of the advertisements. It's more to do with the kind of somewhat naive things like trying to steal other companies thunder when they have a big launch day by scheduling some kind of event themselves just to pull the presses away from the competition. Avoiding taxes is also one (although I guess "who isnt guilty of that?"). Like generally speaking I feel that Google isn't being punished for somewhat inappropriately using it's monopoly'ish situation to their advantage much like Microsoft was back in the 90s.

While I don't use ANY of Google's services, how is following tax laws avoiding paying taxes ? I mean when you do your taxes, don't you take all exemptions allowed by law, or do you say "Here's an extra $2,000, I don't want my 401K contributions or Heath insurance premiums to be paid by pretax income" ?

It really shouldn't bother you. You are being monitored everywhere. There is not someone personally reading your emails or browser history so they can personally create a profile. Its a program that picks keywords and follows your sites. You are a # not a name, one instance where it is good. Nobody cares what you are seeing, using or doing on the internet. You aren't that important. If you don't want to be tracked, then get rid of everything you own from the 21 century and stay away from internet and everybody who is on it. Get used to it. They all do it, you have no choice and its NEVER going to change.

Have you read the articles on how much information Google turns over to the Feds, no warrant required ? Why is it your Gmail messages aren't deleted, but archived ? Yes, I understand that the Feds have black boxes at all ISPs. I understand that all your emails are scanned by the Feds, and if any keywords show up, they are flagged and reviewed by a real person. (Try mentioning the US's leader and then mention that a movie was 'da bomb', your email will get flagged. Try mentioning those two in a different way and you'll see a Bubba's Plumbing van parked on your street, or worse.)

Yes we all know that we don't have privacy any more, and that's what has most of us in an uproar.

You want targeted ads ? Opt in or let me opt out. I am even willing to pay for that option.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Have you read the articles on how much information Google turns over to the Feds, no warrant required ? Why is it your Gmail messages aren't deleted, but archived ? Yes, I understand that the Feds have black boxes at all ISPs. I understand that all your emails are scanned by the Feds, and if any keywords show up, they are flagged and reviewed by a real person. (Try mentioning the US's leader and then mention that a movie was 'da bomb', your email will get flagged. Try mentioning those two in a different way and you'll see a Bubba's Plumbing van parked on your street, or worse.)

Yes we all know that we don't have privacy any more, and that's what has most of us in an uproar.

You want targeted ads ? Opt in or let me opt out. I am even willing to pay for that option.

That is completely untrue. See the EFF's scoring of various companies - Google ranks better than Microsoft (three stars vs MS' one) https://www.eff.org/pages/when-government-comes-knocking-who-has-your-back and specifically calls out their Transparency report - nobody else has that. Also see https://www.eff.org/press/archives/2006/01/19, Google refusing to comply with Justice Department subpoenas. EDIT: And Gmail definitely has a delete button, not sure why you fail to see it...

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I thought MS was not evil like Google with regards to personal privacy. However, yesterday I opened the Pizza Hut app on my WP to see about getting a pizza. A couple of hours later I went to the MSN app to check on the news and what did I see? A Pizza Hut ad. I don't like this. What I do on my phone should not be tracked by anyone unless they plan to pay me for it. So, I pay for the phone, pay for data service, and then my use of the phone is harvested for free in order to sell me stuff. I've been suckered and I don't like it.

Anyone else feel this way?

Google can't be that evil, they allowed me to install an app that blocks ads, and another app that allows me to block any app I want from accessing areas of my Android phone I don't want it to without hindering that app from working.

Mr.Willie

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
That is completely untrue. See the EFF's scoring of various companies - Google ranks better than Microsoft (three stars vs MS' one) https://www.eff.org/pages/when-government-comes-knocking-who-has-your-back and specifically calls out their Transparency report - nobody else has that. Also see https://www.eff.org/press/archives/2006/01/19, Google refusing to comply with Justice Department subpoenas. EDIT: And Gmail definitely has a delete button, not sure why you fail to see it...

First, thanks for the info, however, I was not stating that one was better than the other. I was just referencing an article I read last week that listed the number of times that they handed over users data, based on information put out by Google. In many instances, not even a subpoena was required. Thus a half star in transparency. (The article you linked to that pats Google on the back is seven years old. And doesn't appear to be the case anymore.) As far as a delete button, I was a beta tester, and even when it came out of beta, I don't remember of any easy way to really delete emails, and I stopped using the service. (One of the features that was promoted was never again delete your emails.) If your emails are really deleted today, then kudos to Google.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I posted this in another thread I think it will work here.

Wow so many misguided people. All of you need to go back and review your terms and conditions. If you think that what Microsoft does with data collected is the same as what Google does you are wrong.

Skype Terms of Use

Microsoft Services Agreement

Google Terms of Service ? Policies & Principles ? Google

From Google terms and conditions.

[NOTE]Your Content in our Services

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.
When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services. You can find more information about how Google uses and stores content in the privacy policy or additional terms for particular Services. If you submit feedback or suggestions about our Services, we may use your feedback or suggestions without obligation to you.[/NOTE]

From Microsoft service agreement
[NOTE]
3.1. Who owns the content that I put on the services? Content includes anything you upload to, store on, or transmit through the services, such as data, documents, photos, video, music, email and instant messages ("content"). Except for material that we license to you that may be incorporated into your own content (such as clip art), we don't claim ownership of the content you provide on the services. Your content remains your content, and you are responsible for it. We strongly advise you to make regular back-up copies of your content. We don't control, verify, pay for or endorse the content that you and others make available on the services.[/NOTE]

I want to add to this that at no time in this thread have I stated that I think what Google is doing is wrong its up to the individual what you want to share. By putting anything on the internet you are giving up a certain amount of rights to what you post. What I do want everyone to understand is that Microsoft and Google have very different ways of doing things.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It isn't even necessary to use the Internet to get targeted by advertisers. Why do you think all the various stores offer "customer cards"? Those cards that let you get discounts also allow the store to know your shopping habits, and the stores sell that information to other companies.

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did - Forbes

Agreed. I've received more emails in 2 months from the Men's clothing store I have a customer card with than from all my web surfing activity for the last few years combined. And you know what? The targeted advertrising is useful. I like their products and want to know what sales and promos they are running.

Mr.Willie

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I've received more emails in 2 months from the Men's clothing store I have a customer card with than from all my web surfing activity for the last few years combined. And you know what? The targeted advertrising is useful. I like their products and want to know what sales and promos they are running.

Correct. But you also willfully went in the store and filled out card. When you go back to the store, you can chose to use your card or not. You are in control. And yes I too have have signed up with certain places that I do business with to receive promotional information, but I also specifically asked, nothing was was taken.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Correct. But you also willfully went in the store and filled out card. When you go back to the store, you can chose to use your card or not. You are in control. And yes I too have have signed up with certain places that I do business with to receive promotional information, but I also specifically asked, nothing was was taken.

And you willingly surf the Internet on your PC, cookies, javascript and all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon