Simple question, Is Windows Phone 8 "Road" Ready?

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I know is has GPS and maps but as a mobile device, do you believe it is really road warrior ready? For me, its not there yet.

If you read the reviews you will get overwhelming evidence that the navigation on WP is not up to any decent standard.
MS needs to mend fences with Google in order to round out their WP8 OS.

edv2009

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I took mine to Europe, and Nokia's maps were perfect. Can't say I enjoyed driving in Paris, but I'd have been lost without my Lumia.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't see what the problem is. Since when has navigating been a complicated task? Like I mentioned before, the ability to not have to rely on an unpredictable network to ensure uninterrupted navigation through Nokia outweighs any negative in this discussion.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
WP8's navigation with Nokia is the only navigation program that I have used on a phone that hasn't locked up or stalled in any way and that's more than I can say about the phones on Android or iOS. I know you might have a bad handset or other uncommon issues but the majority is on the positive end in every aspect if you don't believe me make a poll yourself. Just saying.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If you read the reviews you will get overwhelming evidence that the navigation on WP is not up to any decent standard.
MS needs to mend fences with Google in order to round out their WP8 OS.

I've used Nokia maps in 12 states so far. Extensively. Haven't missed a turn once. But again, this isn't about Nokia maps. Its about road readiness. I use the word road readiness in the broadest sense which include everything from walking to public transportation to air travel.

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Heya, for work I fly around all over the place, I use my phone as my primary nav device, I often pick up a rental car and have to drive to random places, I use Nokia Drive and while it isn't 100%, it is pretty good! I also think it is equally as good as the alternatives on other handsets, as they too are not 100% (In my actual experiences).

My biggest gripe with Nokia Drive is that it tells you to "turn left" or "turn right" at slight bends in the road even when you don't have to turn, the route however is accurate on the screen so a quick glance on the screen tells you that you don't actually need to turn (and there isn't a road to turn on to anyway).

Also it favours main streets (doesn't use back streets much to get you places) but this is typical of just about every nav solution I have ever used.

However besides the little issues I have had, I can say yes the WP8 is "Road Ready" and just make sure any annoying little things you detect, holla @heremaps and use the feedback feature in your phone to make sure it gets addressed!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Whereby your "simple question" is a completely atypical interpretation of a phrase, so far that it even reaches to include VPN support. Righteo!

But I digress. I find it interesting that you seem to play by "it's not a problem until it's a problem with me". There is no shortage of threads where you've acted downright dismissive of complaints and queries, yet when it comes to your own personal situation, oh how important and valid your points are. I'll probably get torched for calling out another member, but I've found myself repelled by Jazmac's pooh-poohing of what I perceived to be perfectly legitimate threads and opinions. This is icing on the cake.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Whereby your "simple question" is a completely atypical interpretation of a phrase, so far that it even reaches to include VPN support. Righteo!

But I digress. I find it interesting that you seem to play by "it's not a problem until it's a problem with me". There is no shortage of threads where you've acted downright dismissive of complaints and queries, yet when it comes to your own personal situation, oh how important and valid your points are. I'll probably get torched for calling out another member, but I've found myself repelled by Jazmac's pooh-poohing of what I perceived to be perfectly legitimate threads and opinions. This is icing on the cake.
But not so repelled that you still read my posts. lol. Step off son. Grown folks are talking.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My wife will be happy to know that even though I spend 150 nights a year away from home, that I'm not really travelling. Thanks for clarifying that.

Despite that, for all of the non-travelling I do for my job in the US, mapping on WP8 is severely lacking compared to google maps. The experience I get on my 920 today is slightly worse than the experience I got on my iPhone 3gs four years ago.

As much as you travel and as lacking as the WP mapping situation is, I would recommend you switch to something else.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
As much as you travel and as lacking as the WP mapping situation is, I would recommend you switch to something else.

I haven't given any consideration to changing platforms at this point. That would be tossing out the baby with the bathwater.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

But not so repelled that you still read my posts. lol. Step off son. Grown folks are talking.

Jazmac, I want to say this diplomatically, but I do somewhat agree with AngryNil. Frankly I was shocked to see this thread when you first posted it. Before this thread I don't recall a post by you saying anything negative about Microsoft or positive about anyone else (that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm making a point).

However, after this thread I respect your opinions and take them more seriously since it shows you're not just a Microsoft ******, but are in reality more objective!

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
This a "your company" issue not a WP issue. In this day and age the requirement for a VPN to get email is so old school that it is not even funny. I work for a fortune 500 company and am able to get to Exchange, SharePoint and Lync without a VPN and it is as secure as online banking.

The day of the VPN is coming to an end.

Having said that, I want a Concur travel app (TripIt is there for the itinerary part), WebEx and an Air Canada App to make my life whole.

BTW, I do over 100k per year, am Marriott Platinum and Avis First, so I think I qualify as a "road warrior"

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Now that doesn't make you look like a pretentious, patronising person, does it?

Really, you do come across as someone incapable of thinking on the fly or - heaven forfend - planning adequately in the first place. Why do you expect a device to make up for your own shortcomings?

Allow 40 minutes extra on your journey time and chill out, have a cup of tea and do a crossword. That way you won't burst a blood vessel and enjoy life more by noticing what's going on around you.

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
This phone is the best world travel device bar none. I used my Lumia 920 for driving and traveling all throughout France for the last two weeks with little to no trouble. I unlocked my phone and inserted a Orange Mobile sim card, then used Nokia Here maps for trip plotting, Nokia Drive for OFFLINE gps driving in and around France, as well as Nokai City lens to discover a plethora of new restaurants in numerous cities while i was traveling France. Hell, with the translate app, i was able to converse with numerous people with limited English capability, using this phone.

This phone is easily the absolute BEST mobile device for traveling both locally and internationally bar none. My wife and other buddies accompanying me with iphones were in awe the entire trip. Anyone feeling the N920 is somehow inadequate needs their head examined.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon