Considering the switch to WP8 and undecided on a Lumia

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Greetings wpcentral,

I finally got around to creating an account here. I've been reading tons of very helpful information and tips on this forum for a few months now. So first I just want to say thanks to the all the members that have shared their knowledge on all the helpful topics found here!

Here's my situation. I'm currently off contract with Sprint and fed up with their lack of consistent speeds and quality of service. I have an HTC EVO, which is a great phone but I never could take advantage of 4G. That's the first fail. And I am kind of bored with Android and want to try out something new. I really love how Windows Phone is growing every day and changing for the better. It's really sparked my interest keeping up with all the latest news about the future of WP. I love where it?s going!

Anyway after everything I've been researching about Windows Phone, I really want to make the switch soon and have been leaning towards AT&T for carrier service. They have LTE in my area and I've heard it's good. I'm currently running Windows 8 Pro on a new PC build at home and I'm a big fan of Win 8 so that actually helps my decision to switch to WP.

Unfortunately, I'm undecided on a phone. I really wanted to go with the Nokia Lumia 920 and want the yellow one. I've been waiting to see if AT&T runs another free sale like the one I missed out on back in early May. However, I keep getting turned off by the several issues I read about all over the Internet. Most reviews for the 920 are great but I keep reading about freezing/restarting, overheating, battery, and "Other Storage" issues. I am aware of the lack of apps so that?s not a big deal to me. And I don?t play games on my phone or watch many videos. It?s these constant issues that worry me. I don?t want a device that I would have to constantly turn off all the features just to preserve battery. Although I actually find myself doing this with my current phone. I always have mobile network, Wi-Fi, location and background data off when I?m not using the phone so maybe it?s not that big a deal.

My other option I am leaning towards is the Lumia 925. I really want this phone, but not sure if I want to try out T-Mobile or pay full price for the phone. But it looks to be a much better phone. From all the first look and unboxing videos I?ve seen, I love the design of it and a lighter, thinner version of the 920 with a better screen would be great. I?m guessing battery life will be much better too from what I?ve been hearing but only time will tell. Hopefully the upcoming Nokia and WP updates will fix many of the issues users are having.

So for now I?m still waiting a little longer but growing really impatient. Hopefully a T-Mobile release date for the 925 will be announced soon. I appreciate any comments or input you guys have and will keep you posted as soon as I make the switch :smile:

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for everyone, but I have not had any of the issues you cited with my 920 since release day. It's been the best phone I've ever had and I would hearily recommend it.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I decided I'm done with Android, so I sold my Galaxy Nexus and have been trying to decide what to go with next. It was between Windows Phone and BlackBerry. On a whim, I bought a T-Mobile exclusive Lumia 521 from Walmart for $130 (no contract) because I had never tried Windows Phone before and wanted to give it a fair shot. I have been blown away at how much phone you get for such a low price! I have only had the phone for 3 days, and I have found it extremely easy to set up and use. The interface is quite different from Android and iOS and I rather like how simple it is, yet how efficiently it allows you to view information and navigate where you want. The app selection is more than adequate for my wants/needs and, though the 521 has a slower processor and less RAM than the flagship 920+ models, it runs Windows Phone 8 like a champ. No lags or freezing whatsoever.

I'd say if you are already committed to going with Windows Phone without trying it, go for a flagship model (920, 925, 928), which will offer the optimum WP8 experience for you. Chances are the unit you get will be just fine - if the problems were widespread you'd hear about them in a lot more places than fan forums. If, however, you are on the fence and want to give WP8 a shot without committing a lot of cash up front, try the Lumia 521. Nokia had to pare it back to sell it at such a low price point, so it's missing things like a front-facing camera, and a flash for the rear camera, and internal storage of only 8 GB (expandable by an additional 64 GB via micro SD slot) but for $130 you won't find a better smartphone out there.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the same boat as you. I'm off contract and was waiting for the Samsung Ativ S but who knows when or if that phone will ever show up. I love the Lumia 92X phones. Everyone that I know that owns one loves it. The app issue is not a major concern for me mainly because they have the major apps that I want anyway.

I actually almost bought the HTC One few days ago because their BlinkFeed is very similar to Live Tiles , actually I like the look of BlinkFeed better, but it's an Android, and I've gone down that road before and have had nothing but issues with Androids.

I'm more than likely switching to T-Mobile once they get their Lumia 925 mainly because they offer unlimited data plans as well. Sprint not only hasn't given any specifics about their Windows Phone 8 releases, but they just don't have any form of answer as well. Go to their website and chat with one of their reps and ask about the Windows Phone 8. They try to change the subject everytime. Too bad, I've had 10+ years with Sprint, but their way too deep with that $20 Billion with iphones that I don't see them getting a Windows Phone soon. At least a flagship phone.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for everyone, but I have not had any of the issues you cited with my 920 since release day. It's been the best phone I've ever had and I would hearily recommend it.

I have to agree here 10000%. Never had on issue and Nokia hardware truly Is the best. I think you'll love WP 8 as it is always so fast and fluid.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far!

I was also considering trying out the Lumia 521 as a temp phone and testing T-Mobile until the 925 comes out, but figured the $130 (if I can find one) would be a waste of money that I could put towards either the 925 or 920. If I don't go with AT&T now, then I'm hoping to have better luck on T-Mobile's network then Sprint's. My unlimited plan with Sprint is nice but I can never take advantage of it because of the extremely slow 3G speeds and not sure when my area is getting LTE. I'd rather try out AT&T or T-Mobile next.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Back a few years ago, I became interested in high end stereo equipment. I looked around that thought I had done my research. I found a good provider in Atlanta and told them what I wanted hardware and speaker wise. The salesman gave me the best advice I ever got while I was evaluating sound equipment. He told me to buy the speakers first; speakers I like the sound it gave and then as I added equipment, it would only sound better because good speakers on cheap equipment would sound much better on good equipment. I did this as was not unhappy at all.

The moral of the story is to decide on which carrier (speakers) has the best of the things you need. Write down a list of Verizon, AT&T, and any other carrier you come across. Look at the list and decide which carrier gives you the most of the things you need.

Then go to that carrier and decide which phone meets your needs. I did this and I chose Verizon and Nokia 928. You might decide differently but I think everyone here will agree that the carrier will have a lot of influence on how much you like or dislike the device.

I'd be interested if your final choices if you decide to go this way.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Greetings wpcentral,

I finally got around to creating an account here. I've been reading tons of very helpful information and tips on this forum for a few months now. So first I just want to say thanks to the all the members that have shared their knowledge on all the helpful topics found here!

Here's my situation. I'm currently off contract with Sprint and fed up with their lack of consistent speeds and quality of service. I have an HTC EVO, which is a great phone but I never could take advantage of 4G. That's the first fail. And I am kind of bored with Android and want to try out something new. I really love how Windows Phone is growing every day and changing for the better. It's really sparked my interest keeping up with all the latest news about the future of WP. I love where it’s going!

Anyway after everything I've been researching about Windows Phone, I really want to make the switch soon and have been leaning towards AT&T for carrier service. They have LTE in my area and I've heard it's good. I'm currently running Windows 8 Pro on a new PC build at home and I'm a big fan of Win 8 so that actually helps my decision to switch to WP.

Unfortunately, I'm undecided on a phone. I really wanted to go with the Nokia Lumia 920 and want the yellow one. I've been waiting to see if AT&T runs another free sale like the one I missed out on back in early May. However, I keep getting turned off by the several issues I read about all over the Internet. Most reviews for the 920 are great but I keep reading about freezing/restarting, overheating, battery, and "Other Storage" issues. I am aware of the lack of apps so that’s not a big deal to me. And I don’t play games on my phone or watch many videos. It’s these constant issues that worry me. I don’t want a device that I would have to constantly turn off all the features just to preserve battery. Although I actually find myself doing this with my current phone. I always have mobile network, Wi-Fi, location and background data off when I’m not using the phone so maybe it’s not that big a deal.

My other option I am leaning towards is the Lumia 925. I really want this phone, but not sure if I want to try out T-Mobile or pay full price for the phone. But it looks to be a much better phone. From all the first look and unboxing videos I’ve seen, I love the design of it and a lighter, thinner version of the 920 with a better screen would be great. I’m guessing battery life will be much better too from what I’ve been hearing but only time will tell. Hopefully the upcoming Nokia and WP updates will fix many of the issues users are having.

So for now I’m still waiting a little longer but growing really impatient. Hopefully a T-Mobile release date for the 925 will be announced soon. I appreciate any comments or input you guys have and will keep you posted as soon as I make the switch :smile:

I have had my White Lumia for about 5 months and have had a few minor hiccups but nothing really major. You should understand that there are people who have issues with their devices who come here seeking help. There are people who seek help figuring out "How do I do ______ who come here. And there are a a whole lot of people who've been here for quite a while trying to help those who need help. The problems are real but the vast majority of people who have the 920 other devices haven't had many if any issues. That said I would and do prefer the 920 to the 925 because of the storage memory of 32 GB vs. 16GB. I'm plenty happy with my 920 and am looking forward to getting the Amber update from Nokia (firmware) and the GDR2 WP8 update. But I'm fine with the white 920 for now. I'm hoping for a Phablet and/or tablet from Nokia.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
How long are you willing to wait? Nokia just announced an event in New York City that will probably introduce EOS, a Nokia Lumia 920 except with a 41 MP Pureview camera with lossless zoom. If you want an amazing camera and can wait for late July/early August go for the EOS (probably going to be an AT&T exclusive).

If you're fine with the 920's camera capabilities (which are still very good, btw) then definitely get that. You'll save some money and you'll still be using an awesome smartphone. I wouldn't worry much about any bugs or problems. Nokia has probably worked out all of these problems that were (scarcely) present at launch. If you do have any problems you can always return the phone since you've got 14 days!

As for the 925, if you're weary of T-Mobile don't buy it. Make sure T-Mobile has good coverage in your area. If they do, I'd say go for it because I personally love the way T-Mobile is going with this "uncarrier" thing. Even though you're going to be paying full price for the phone, you'll still be saving money in the long run. And the 925 has some advantages over the 920. It's a lot thinner and lighter, an AMOLED screen, and a better camera (6th lens and software improvements; software update coming to all Lumias in July).

Whatever you feel like will be the best for you. Wait for the EOS if you want an unbelievable camera, get the 920 if you want a reliable flagship now, or the 925 if you want a redesigned 920 for a slightly more expensive price.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Great replies and advice guys so thanks a bunch it really helps! :smile:

I've been keeping up with news on the EOS but I seriously have no interest in this model right now. Don't hate! Lol. In my opinion the camera will be overkill for me in a smartphone. I'd rather have the excellent camera specs of the 920 or 925. This is sufficient for my use. Plus what is the file size for each photo going to be on the EOS? That's a concern considering the limited storage space on these phones even if using Skydrive. Especially with the "Other" storage folder issue or at least until that bug is fixed. You could run out of space quick taking pics on the EOS.

Which reminds me, does anyone know if there is a way to change photo size resolution for 16:9 photos on the Lumia 920 or is it just the default maximum megapixel photo size? Maybe using a different camera app?

I'm not entirely sure how reliable or good T-Mobile service is in my area or how long before they will add LTE in this market. I might get stuck with another Sprint type situation but at least I wouldn't have a contract with T-Mobile, but would have to pay full price for a 925. AT&T however does have LTE and would be a much better option for me so that brings me back to the 920 for now. Plus I love the yellow 920 and think the colors make this device unique and really add to the distinctiveness of these phones even if they are a little bulky. I could get the 920 free right now if I trade in my EVO but I hate to part with it for sentimental reasons.

I'm hoping AT&T runs a sale again soon, maybe Father's day weekend so I might grab the 920 if I see a good deal somewhere. Or I think Radio Shack still has it for $30 on a 2-year contract. Worse case if I go with the 920 now and keep it a year, then maybe Nokia would have released some newer, game changing flagship phones by then running Windows Phone 9 and I could do an ETF or try for an early upgrade.

Decisions, decisions...

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Great replies and advice guys so thanks a bunch it really helps! :smile:

I've been keeping up with news on the EOS but I seriously have no interest in this model right now. Don't hate! Lol. In my opinion the camera will be overkill for me in a smartphone. I'd rather have the excellent camera specs of the 920 or 925. This is sufficient for my use. Plus what is the file size for each photo going to be on the EOS? That's a concern considering the limited storage space on these phones even if using Skydrive. Especially with the "Other" storage folder issue or at least until that bug is fixed. You could run out of space quick taking pics on the EOS.

Which reminds me, does anyone know if there is a way to change photo size resolution for 16:9 photos on the Lumia 920 or is it just the default maximum megapixel photo size? Maybe using a different camera app?

I'm not entirely sure how reliable or good T-Mobile service is in my area or how long before they will add LTE in this market. I might get stuck with another Sprint type situation but at least I wouldn't have a contract with T-Mobile, but would have to pay full price for a 925. AT&T however does have LTE and would be a much better option for me so that brings me back to the 920 for now. Plus I love the yellow 920 and think the colors make this device unique and really add to the distinctiveness of these phones even if they are a little bulky. I could get the 920 free right now if I trade in my EVO but I hate to part with it for sentimental reasons.

I'm hoping AT&T runs a sale again soon, maybe Father's day weekend so I might grab the 920 if I see a good deal somewhere. Or I think Radio Shack still has it for $30 on a 2-year contract. Worse case if I go with the 920 now and keep it a year, then maybe Nokia would have released some newer, game changing flagship phones by then running Windows Phone 9 and I could do an ETF or try for an early upgrade.

Decisions, decisions...
Pureview oversampling on EOS will compress 41mp into 8mp pictures. Its not like shooting 4k image that ends up with 20mb files.

At this point I do not think locking into contract for a 920 is a good deal. After all a nice used one is less than 250.

ironfusion

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 928 (obviously on VZW) a little over a week ago. It's my first smartphone, though I'm dealing with the ins and outs of BBs and iPhones at work all the time. For my first smartphone, I love it. However, there are some things I would place on a 'wishlist' for the phone do ideally have... I have a very very fast 32GB micro-sd card I used in my dumbphone, that will not either be used as a flash drive, or collect dust: I have yet to place my music collection on the phone, so storage is nowhere near an issue for me. However, the skydrive storage is not as flexible as I had hoped- I don't seem to be able to download a copy of items on it to the phone, or open things on it directly in the phone; you sort of have to go into it to make use of the contents- nothing like, dropbox, for instance.

Another dislike I have is an internal battery, which averages between 7-9 hours of life. I don't like having the ticking clock of an internal battery- something I reviled about iphones and now put up with myself. You can't buy a spare, you can't replace it if it fails or degrades, and you can't get a higher capacity battery for extended time between charges. From what I read when studying up, it's best to charge Li-ion batteries when they are between 50-80/90%, and to do so slowly, and cooly. I ordered a nice little AA emergency charger when getting my phone, so I figure using a 1.2V Nimh AA results in a charging voltage less than the wall-charger (charging below 4.2V is also a good thing to do to extend the life of a battery). I connect this charger to my phone, and place both on a laptop cooling pad: the phone does not get warm to the touch (more important than under-voltage charging for preserving the health and extending the lifetime of a battery). You have to charge a bit more frequently when applying lower voltage, but when the phone already needs to be charged ~2.5x a day, doing it every 2-3 hours from ~90/95% back up to 99% (never aim for 100%) is not much worse.

If you enjoy the openness and modularity of Android, I would suggest sticking with your current phone (do accounts get banned for saying things like this?). I was shocked by some of the rigidity and lack of options/settings/customizations on this phone. NFC functions outside sharing with another handset are a joke, and the granularity of control over what goes on with the phone is underwhelming. If I were you, I would wait and see what WP8.1/Blue brings about in change to WP8: I'm hopeful feedback from users and developers is met with a good solution for allowing changing of system settings directly (toggling BT, Wi-Fi, or battery saver mode anyone?). It is the reason why there are fewer useful apps than there could be, and why NFC is a laughing matter. Plus, gmail support with notifications is absent on WP8. The one good 3rd party app that provided this stopped working a few days ago. Steer the course. Are you upgrade eligible? The 928 or 925 may become available to different carriers in time, and the EOS and/or Lumia 1000 may be shortly down the road.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I finally broke down and got my yellow Lumia 920 yesterday from the AT&T store! Ended up paying $7 and change for it after trading an old phone in.

Lumia 920.JPG

http://sdrv.ms/1aG1zIA

Extremely happy with my purchase so far!!! :smile:

Sorry this photo from my old EVO looks like crap and really doesn't capture all the colors from the Lumia and screen. Looking forward to taking much better photos from now on!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon