Double Tap to wake - OLED on latest 920 variants makes sense

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
According to my source who works in Nokia, this will be done by Nokia using a firmware update after GDR2 to introduce a new non-user accessible brightness level which is very very low (set the brightness to auto and enter a dark room. it is said to be lower than that). That will at least cut the battery usage but the always-on clock will be turned off in your pocket by using the proximity sensor in your phone and also by using the accelerometer to detect movement (e.g taking ur phone from your nightstand to check time) to activate the clock to cut down battery usage.

Cheers,

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My biggest complaint about the 920 is that it is LCD and this is just another reason I wish it wasn't.

OLED is one of the reasons I want to replace my 920 with the 1020. Hopefully Nokia will stick with OLED on all future models.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My biggest complaint about the 920 is that it is LCD and this is just another reason I wish it wasn't.

OLED is one of the reasons I want to replace my 920 with the 1020. Hopefully Nokia will stick with OLED on all future models.

well, LCD has disadvantages too.. it uses more energy and has a much higher chance for errors like on my 820. When displaying dark grey, in a really small area it's a bit red. These false colors are on a lot of OLED devices.. I've sent it in for repair and hope they fix it :) But generally I also prefer OLED over LCD.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't go back to OLED , I've used the N8/N9/808 and I can tell you shades of colors are missed up in OLED (Purple tint ****).
LCD is way better and my lumia 920 has the best colors ever.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I think Nokia will provide a message to LCD users that more battery will be consumed for double to wake (just like how OLED users get battery drain message when they select white theme)

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
well, LCD has disadvantages too.. it uses more energy and has a much higher chance for errors like on my 820. When displaying dark grey, in a really small area it's a bit red. These false colors are on a lot of OLED devices.. I've sent it in for repair and hope they fix it :) But generally I also prefer OLED over LCD.

Ya, there are color accuracy issues but OLEDs are much more vibrant in general and black IS black.
I've have both, in fact I'm using my L800 right now and love how the black is seamless from the screen to the hard buttons.

IMO, the pros out weigh the cons.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Ya, there are color accuracy issues but OLEDs are much more vibrant in general and black IS black.

I've have both, in fact I'm using my L800 right now and love how the black is seamless from the screen to the hard buttons.

IMO, the pros out weigh the cons.

Me too! I totally agree on that. Even though the black isn't as deep as on the 800, I can't see the line between display and bezel, except at night with no light on. Especially on windows phone this looks really awesome since there's a lot of black when I use the dark theme.. and natural colors only matter when viewing photos/videos, and since nokia is about to release a color adjustment app that "problem" will be gone soon :)

RustyU

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't go back to OLED , I've used the N8/N9/808 and I can tell you shades of colors are missed up in OLED (Purple tint ****).

The problem you've encountered is due to the PenTile matrix, it's not an OLED problem.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

I've been lucky over the years with AMOLED devices I've owned where none of them have had any issues with weired tints. I've currently got the S3 and colour reproduction is spot on. You've also got the advantage of having better viewing angles on AMOLED screens too. I do like the screen on my 920 but I reckon an AMOLED with Nokia's ClearBlack, Puremotion HD+ goodness is a better choice than an LCD, providing it doesn't suffer from any sort of colour tint like some N8's did.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been lucky over the years with AMOLED devices I've owned where none of them have had any issues with weired tints. I've currently got the S3 and colour reproduction is spot on. You've also got the advantage of having better viewing angles on AMOLED screens too. I do like the screen on my 920 but I reckon an AMOLED with Nokia's ClearBlack, Puremotion HD+ goodness is a better choice than an LCD, providing it doesn't suffer from any sort of colour tint like some N8's did.

The screen on my girlfriends Lumia 928 is gorgeous! I'm kind of jealous now and it's hard going back to my 920 from her phone. Metro almost demands a clear black display. On the home screen the tiles just look like they are floating on the whole glass section of the phone. Its a beautiful thing :)

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The screen on my girlfriends Lumia 928 is gorgeous! I'm kind of jealous now and it's hard going back to my 920 from her phone. Metro almost demands a clear black display. On the home screen the tiles just look like they are floating on the whole glass section of the phone. Its a beautiful thing :)
920 is just as floating as 928. Seems like you like more saturation. LCD can certainly do that if you are able to tune the display which you cant now.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
920 is just as floating as 928. Seems like you like more saturation. LCD can certainly do that if you are able to tune the display which you cant now.

The LCD on the 920 is more "black" than the LCD that was on my HTC Surround I had. But holding my 920 up to my 800 and my girlfriends 928 there is a very clear difference. It's not just the color saturation, black is VERY black on OLED. Only on certain angles can you see where the screen ends because you can see the actual physical edge. But most of the time its seamless.

OLED will naturally be more black simply by the way it works.

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
On iOS , I prefer LCD displays.

On Android , both OLED and LCD are good.

But for WP , I prefer OLED any day.

What Other Change do you have on iOS? As i remember every Apple iPhone Uses LCD...

@Topic: I tested the Doubly Tap Feature on a Lumia 925 and can say it works without the Clock so it should not use to much more Power... And LCD/OLED shouldn't Matter at all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon