Other storage in Lumia 520

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I live in India. On my recommendation, my brother bought Lumia 520. He has installed many big games on it like Asphault Alpha Heat, Assasins Creed etc. And its internal memory is filling up quickly. Lumia 520 has 8 GB on board memory and my bro have 2GB microSD.

The problem is that when I look into the storage of the phone it says "Other Storage" taking up some 1.5GB. I know this is a bug in WP8 and this memory is essentially where WP stores caches etc.

However I want to know if there is any fix / update for this. I have used app "Shrink Storage" as recommended on many similar threads but no luck. Is there any way out.
Please help.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Please do a search on the forum as there are many many many threads on 'Other Storage' and we're all a little tired of the same thing showing up. Since it's a Nokia you can download Storage Checker other than that do a search and see if there's an answer already keeping in mind that 820, 620 and 520 all have SD cards.

garfieldm89

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
have you used "storage check" in settings. That has an option to free up some cache memory... but it would have been better if your bro had bought a 8 gb SD card.

Rahul Nirwan

May 13, 2013
Visit site
hey there, m too from india and use L620. Your problem sorry to say is not solvable just yet. You can try Storage Check from nokia for deleting temporary files on your phone. I too have used Shrink Storage for gotten the same result as you. If you want to get rid of the others, all you can do is reset your phone. I had the "others" at around 2GB, so i formated my phone and have been trying to avoid apps which are bigger in size. I have even talked with nokia and sadly they too dont have any solution for this.

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. The only solution is a hard reset. It will continue to come back though. This issue has been around since WP8 was first released, so hopefully a fix will be out soon. Should have been fixed by now.

Nokia Storage Check only removes some of the Temporary Files and doesn't tap into whatever is in the other folder.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/203595-storage-details-other-category.html
Thanks a lot for confirmation and saving my hours on researching the same. Hope the fix will soon be released and will be applicable on all devices equally.

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Please do a search on the forum as there are many many many threads on 'Other Storage' and we're all a little tired of the same thing showing up. Since it's a Nokia you can download Storage Checker other than that do a search and see if there's an answer already keeping in mind that 820, 620 and 520 all have SD cards.
The fact that their are many such questions does underlines that this is the major problem WP owners facing and also to point out their are still two more similar threads raised after this thread.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The fact that their are many such questions does underlines that this is the major problem WP owners facing and also to point out their are still two more similar threads raised after this thread.

I don't disagree this is an issue but you could at least try searching first? Most of the people posting seem to give the indication that they're the only ones with this issue. There are 'many' threads, some with answers, others with ideas. Unfortunately aside from doing a hard reset you're pretty much screwed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon