Can't sync with One Note

knjmcdonald

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm beginning to get really frustrated with my new Windows 8 phone. I was happy with my Samsung Focus but, it was out of memory. I use One Note for my grocery list (among other things). I like to sync at home using my WiFi because, it can sometimes be hard to get a signal inside the store. I have tried syncing numerous times (and why do I have to force a sync?). Nothing happens. The sync status says - Your phone doesn't have a connection to the server. Check your connection and try syncing again. Error code = 80aa003a.

I am connected to WiFi.

I'm beginning to regret turning in my other phone. This "upgrade" has way to many problems - no wireless sync for music and photos, playlists are completely ruined and now this basic functionality.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is your WiFi connection dropping while the sync is trying to occur?

Does it also give an error if you use mobile data network instead of WiFi?

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
...Does it also give an error if you use mobile data network instead of WiFi?

I've been reading through posts specific to OneNote and SkyDrive to work through some configuration issues I've been experiencing. At any rate, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a reply from a member who stated that the initial sync has to take place over cellular connection versus wifi. Once that initial sync occurs, then subsequent syncs can take place over wifi. Didn't really make sense to me, but maybe worth trying for you?

knjmcdonald

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I was able to sync through a data network no problem. I came home and updated the list on my laptop and now it syncs through WiFi just fine. Weird.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
there was a problem with my wifi \ service provider , they fixed it in 2 days and it's syncing back (there were some more issues like some websites didn't open at all , have to refresh many times to get it open )

Dr_Frag

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I have a new Lumia 925 (replacement for a stolen one) and this was happening to me too. On my previous 925 and 810 I did not have this problem. It is interesting that it doesn't pop up an error message it just says Syncing and then goes away. You have to hit the ellipses and "view sync status" to see the message which says:

Sync status
Result:
Your phone doesn't have a connection to the server. Check your connection and try syncing again.
Error Code = 80aa003a

Last synced:
<date&time>

Last Attempt:
<date&time>

As a test I turned off Wi-Fi and it worked! Then it dawned on me that I had not yet added the phone to our DHCP Reservation list which allows me to offer less restrictions to mobile devices in our Websense web filter server. So Websense was blocking my connection to the OneDrive servers because Wi-Fi goes through our company network that is content filtered by Websense.

And yes, I have experienced the issue with some services that require the first sync to be done over cellular so that is a real thing.

Hope this helps someone down the road,
David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes