Disable Facebook completely and make it disappear from Contacts live tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon7989605

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't never did and never will use Facebook. Why do I have to keep looking at a facebook icon in the contacts live tile? I payed for this hardware, why force a social platform into my life I totally oppose?

We need an option to completely disable all facebook appearance.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't never did and never will use Facebook. Why do I have to keep looking at a facebook icon in the contacts live tile? I payed for this hardware, why force a social platform into my life I totally oppose?

We need an option to completely disable all facebook appearance.

It forms an integral part of the OS so it can't be disabled without a custom ROM and there are no custom ROMs for WP8. Are Microsoft holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use a Facebook Account, no they aren't. Complaining about something as stupid as a Facebook Icon on the People Live Tile is just finding something to complain about for the sake of complaining.

anon7989605

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Integrating Facebook (which is known for spying on people, and each user of facebook should be aware that he/she IS indeed the actual product being analized) as core part of a phone operating system is a fundamental mistake if it indeed was intended to be such. If so, complaining about a minor, like a facebook icon in the people live tile, is like complaining about the tip of a gigantic iceberg.

It's the details that matter and also it's the details that can be fixed. Just integrate an option to disable facebook completely and have it gone form the users device. If that is not offered, it is indeed forcing stuff upon the user.

As Jacob Applebaum puts it: “If you have to ask for privacy or beg it from a master, it may not be granted (as in this case by Microsoft) and then you will know that you are not free”.

Interview mit Internetaktivist Appelbaum zur Sp?haff?re | tagesschau.de

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Integrating Facebook (which is known for spying on people, and each user of facebook should be aware that he/she IS indeed the actual product being analized) as core part of a phone operating system is a fundamental mistake if it indeed was intended to be such. If so, complaining about a minor, like a facebook icon in the people live tile, is like complaining about the tip of a gigantic iceberg.

It's the details that matter and also it's the details that can be fixed. Just integrate an option to disable facebook completely and have it gone form the users device. If that is not offered, it is indeed forcing stuff upon the user.

As Jacob Applebaum puts it: “If you have to ask for privacy or beg it from a master, it may not be granted (as in this case by Microsoft) and then you will know that you are not free”.

Interview mit Internetaktivist Appelbaum zur Sp?haff?re | tagesschau.de

So you're saying that just by integrating it that it's spying on you through the icon on the people hub, that's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. If you don't put in a Facebook Account then it won't matter anyway, you sign up for anything online these days and you accept that the company in question WILL pass your details to government bodies. Just look at the poll and that gives you your answer, no one cares!!!!

I never read interviews with so called "experts" as they are opinions and opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Facebook either, but it's not really an issue for me. I think you're just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Facebook does not add itself to your phone at all. You either linked your Microsoft account to Facebook account (can be removed on your account via web browser ) or you added Facebook account to your phone.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Tapatalk

anon7989605

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Interesting replies. My point remains: if the user does not want to use facebook, why display facebook all over the place? foxbat121: again, people's live tile comes displaying a facebook icon by default with no setting to disable that.

if we all agree that this is a crappy behavior, well then MS should change that default. make it opt-in for all the facebook fans out there. and if not that due to zuckerberg sending over a little money, then make it at least opt-out for others. that's all there is to this topic, nothing more nothing less.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting replies. My point remains: if the user does not want to use facebook, why display facebook all over the place? foxbat121: again, people's live tile comes displaying a facebook icon by default with no setting to disable that.

if we all agree that this is a crappy behavior, well then MS should change that default. make it opt-in for all the facebook fans out there. and if not that due to zuckerberg sending over a little money, then make it at least opt-out for others. that's all there is to this topic, nothing more nothing less.

its JUST an icon. Not a big deal at all. It just lets the user know that one can link Facebook to the phone. That's it. It does NOTHING. If you don't link Facebook to the phone, nothing happens. The icon does nothing.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I totally disagree. First of all, WP platform needs all the help it can. If by displaying a Facebook icon, it can attract more new customers to use it, I have no problem with it at all. One of the most touted advantages of WP is easy social network integration and a lot ppl certainly find it intriguing and will take a second look at WP that otherwise they will simply skip. Stay at 3% of market share means certain death sooner or later.

On both of my WP8 Phones with GDR2 update, I don't see fackbook icon at all. It maybe displayed on original firmware but I don't remember. But keep in mind, the social integration is actually mostly done at the Hotmail/Outlook server side. The Hotmail/Outlook communicate with your Facebook or Twitter account and display information on your phone. So, if you never linked your account to either of them, there will be no connection to those social network what so ever.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
While I, I personally may agree that this is a trivial issue for me, one man's trash is anothers' treasure. In his instance it would be nice to remove the icon. I don't use Twatter (misspelling intentional) and I wouldn't care to see it plaster on my device.

Just sayin

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
We shall riot!! how dare they put an icon there..!!

Seriously, behave yourself its just an little icon and it does nothing unless you link it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon