Enable Nokia Lumia 920 as a usb flash drive. Deleted file recovery

Adorly Tanglao

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a nokia lumia 920. I want to know how to connect it as a usb mass storage drive not MTP. My purpose is to recover deleted files but all the software that it download requires the storage of my phone to be recognized as a drive.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me if I'm not understanding you properly here, but can't you just drag and drop files right onto it in Windows Explorer? I don't believe there's anything preventing you from just doing that.

Adorly Tanglao

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
yes, I can access my files thru MTP. The reason why i need to have it as USB drive is i have accidentally deleted a file and i have tried numerous recovery software and they required my phone to be recognized as a separate mass storage drive.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you definatly can just drag and drop. You need yo make sure that you unlock your phone for it to show up though (enter in your password if you have one, or flick the lock screen up) you just need to be past the lock screen and away you go! Have fun!

Adorly Tanglao

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you definatly can just drag and drop. You need yo make sure that you unlock your phone for it to show up though (enter in your password if you have one, or flick the lock screen up) you just need to be past the lock screen and away you go! Have fun!

Everything else work fine. My main concern is, i want to recover a deleted file and i obviously required a software. Whenever i use any software, my phone is not being recognized on that software, the only thing being recognized are hard disk drive with letters. Hence what i want to accomplish is to have my windows phone to be accessed as a regular hard disk drive with a letter. like when you insert a flash drive and it will show on My Computer as Drive X:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but you won't be able to mount the phone as UMS. You are stuck as MTP, so you won't be able to run any file recovery software.

Adorly Tanglao

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I was kind of expecting that Guzzler3. However i am just hopin if anyone here has the exact problem as me. If there are other possible way to recover deleted photos/vidoes on lumia 920.

Adorly Tanglao

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you vinumatthew. Honestly, i spend a good amount of time checking for a solution and as user who has enough knowledge i know that there are none. The reason why i tried posting here if there is any weird thing anyone did and it surprisingly worked. unfortunately there is none. however i appreciate everyone here who responded. Im just hopind well have an update in the future that will enable us to do things in case we accidentaly deleted a file.

Nat R

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm going through exactly what you are asking and none of these people are a big help as they do not understand exactly what we are going through.
Most smartphones these days do not have external memory so its not so simple as to just removing it.

They are mostly internal and require specific software to mount onto the computer and most are mass storage inaccessible.
I have a customers Nokia Lumia 800 and we do data recovery.

I eventually found a way and managed to mount the phone so I can see it in 'my computer' however its not recognised as a storage devise and in its properties it is called Generic Hierarchical. I am trying to find a way or some software to recognise this Generic Hierarchical file system. If you make any more progress and wish to get in touch I am happy to do the same as well.:eek:rly:

Idwin Leon

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
hello,
same boat here guys...
flashed my phone, and lost all my files.... i am also looking for a way to recover my pictures etc ....

will rply back if i succed

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I was kind of expecting that Guzzler3. However i am just hopin if anyone here has the exact problem as me. If there are other possible way to recover deleted photos/vidoes on lumia 920.

Did you upload your images to SkyDrive? If you did you already have access from anywhere.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm going through exactly what you are asking and none of these people are a big help as they do not understand exactly what we are going through.
Most smartphones these days do not have external memory so its not so simple as to just removing it.

They are mostly internal and require specific software to mount onto the computer and most are mass storage inaccessible.
I have a customers Nokia Lumia 800 and we do data recovery.

I eventually found a way and managed to mount the phone so I can see it in 'my computer' however its not recognised as a storage devise and in its properties it is called Generic Hierarchical. I am trying to find a way or some software to recognise this Generic Hierarchical file system. If you make any more progress and wish to get in touch I am happy to do the same as well.:eek:rly:

We understand just fine. That generic hierarchy is the file system windows phone uses to access the phone storage.
You can't change that file system like you can on an SD card (SD cards in WP devices can be formatted as FAT32 or ExFAT)...

There is no commercial software available that can recognize that "generic" file system though, so pls don't waste your time looking for one.

As said, it is simply limited by the way WP connects the phone through USB...we are limited by MTP-PTP.
Android has the same issue btw...although in that corner there are work-arounds...

To explain in layman "terms" what a poster mentioned about the 128bit encryption used by WP :

If software existed that could access and "see" the "hierarchical" structure of the phone storage, then devs would very likely also be able to access the isolated storage reserved for other apps...you see that is the very purpose of using that "generic" hierarchical file system, is to provide such isolated storages for all apps...the nature of it prevents any software (except WP) to access it and "see" it. Hence the solid encryption used.

The ONLY valid solution for OP to prevent future losses of photos and videos, is to store them all on the SD card, which CAN be used as a mass storage device and CAN be accessed by any recovery software through a cardreader...if OP does not have an SD card option on his phone, well, then he is f** and those images are truly lost to him.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sir Please Tell Me How I Can Recover My Picture And Video From Nokia Lumia 925 Please Reply My Message As Sooon As Posible

Give us (or at least me) context please so we know what you're dealing with. Total failure? Broken USB? other stuff?

Christopher Weetman

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
For me, I just moved files using windows explorer to my pc and all the photos are now showing as corrupted, and all the videos are the same one...every video changed to a 3 second video i had on my phone...phone also appears to have deleted skydrive version of photos as the directory no longer appeared...so no backup, no online, no way of recovering from phone...seriously??? cant even cut and paste files to/from my windows phone from my windows desktop???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism