Average idle drain

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the lumia 820, and according to my battery app, last night I had a consistent battery drain of -6%/hr! This is ridiculous. WM6 had a 1-2%/hr drain and that OS had no freaking restraints whatsoever!

I want to get a feel for what other WP8 owners have for average idle battery drain. I'm going to catalog which settings have what effect on battery drain, compared against what I normally have enabled (the first set of data/pictures).

To measure drain like as pictured, Enless Soft has a battery app that reports the most information of any battery app in the store. May not be the prettiest, but it's the most functional.

So! Report your average drain over the course of several hours where you do not touch the phone at all. Please try to copy my exact format, and be as thorough and precise as possible.

Phone: Lumia 820
Carrier/Country: AT&T US
Version: GDR3 8.0.10521.155
Wifi: enabled and connected
"Keep wifi on": Enabled
Find my phone: Push enabled; save location periodically enabled
Backup: applist+settings enabled; text messages enabled; photos disabled
Bluetooth: Disabled
tap+send: Enabled
Signal: 3-4 bars LTE
Glance; peek enabled
Enabled background tasks: Battery; Here Drive+; Nextgen Reader; Today's word; Weather flow; WPCentral
Avg Drain: -6%/hr
bDiQ0yx.png

nyGmaBg.png

-----------------------------------------UPDATE-----------------------------------------

Wifi: Turned Off
Glance; peek enabled
Enabled background tasks: Battery; Here Drive+; Nextgen Reader; Weather flow; WPCentral
Avg Drain: -1.30%/hr (32 pts of data. I retook the snapshot a day later and the "68 measurements" is inclusive of the rest of the day)
dK8nMmo.png

mOR4UPZ.png

-----------------------------------------UPDATE-----------------------------------------

Wifi: Turned Off
tap+send: Disabled
Glance; peek enabled
Enabled background tasks: Battery; Here Drive+; Nextgen Reader; Weather flow; WPCentral
Avg drain: -0.74%/hr
JGKIRmU.png

WF2j5SX.png

-----------------------------------------Results-----------------------------------------
Wifi when connected (but not necessarily in use) is responsible for an average drain of -4.7%/hr on my device!
tap+send is responsible for an average drain of -0.56%/hr

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Im having battery problems too, so I hard reset my phone, and im going to tackle this issue once and for all. Ill see my average discharge during he night. Although it was 2%, went up to 7%, now its saying 9%. **** im using it soo this cant be accuratly measured.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Now and then, mine will show a very quick discharge rate, but simply turning the phone off and then back on again, the battery discharge rate slows down. Also, when mine does this, say the battery level is approx 50%, turning the phone off and then back on again, it may well report 70-80% for example. Seems to be a battery monitoring glitch on mine. Doesn't happen too often, but every week or two I just switch mine off and back on again and the battery level and the discharge rate go back to 'normal'.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I just posted this in the 925 forums...on an unlocked T-Mobile Lumia 925 with LTE on, 5 emails, Facebook, Whatsapp, WiFi, I get this...

WP_20131213_12_22_29_Pro.jpg

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I get an idle drain of 2-4% when I'm at home, and an idle drain of 6-8% when it's sitting on my desk at work. Signal strength has a LOT to do with idle drain, as the phone has to up the transceiver power in weak areas. Having things like wifi/bluetooth/nfc turned on, will cause it to poll those services more too.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the lumia 820, and according to my battery app, last night I had a consistent battery drain of -6%/hr! This is ridiculous. WM6 had a 1-2%/hr drain and that OS had no freaking restraints whatsoever!

I want to get a feel for what other WP8 owners have for average idle battery drain.

So! Report your average drain over the course of several hours where you do not touch the phone at all. Also, list any relevant information, such as

Wifi: enabled and connected
Glance; peek enabled
Enabled background tasks: Battery; Here Drive+; Nextgen Reader; Today's word; Weather flow; WPCentral

To measure drain like as pictured, Enless Soft has a battery app that reports the most information of any battery app in the store. May not be the prettiest, but it's the most functional.

http://i.imgur.com/bDiQ0yx.png
http://i.imgur.com/nyGmaBg.png
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

I have an 820 too..just soft reset your phone..you will notice 2% drain

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input all, but remember- this thread is about collecting statistics from varying models and settings. I'm not asking for advice really.

Also, contributions should be screenshots of the graph over several hours- this is proof of validity. You can't just install the app, look at the graph and give me a number- I have no way of knowing your current configuration, the truthfulness or accuracy of what you told me, etc, and the act of looking at the graph to get an instantaneous result skews the data. The graph should be collected data over several hours where you didn't touch the phone.

Tonight I think I'm going to keep all the settings the same, but turn glance off when I go to sleep. I'll post an update within 24 hours.

Also note battery saver should be off for all tests, or at least have the range of the test out of battery saver's reach. I'm sure battery saver works as advertised, but I do not consider this normal operation of the phone and having it on invalidates the data.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Average battery drain while asleep:
-If airplane mode and battery saver are on, 2%/9h.
-If airplane mode is off with nothing else turned on, 1%/3h.
-With cellular on, 1%/h. (HSPA.)
-Everything on, 2%/h. (EDGE :p)

Lumia 620 user with GDR3 Dev Preview installed.
So many background processes that I can't list them all!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Idle battery drain for me is around 2%. Regular usage goes up to around 3-5%. Games are the biggest battery drain for me.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
After hard resetting my device, with almost no apps installed im getting 2% but this the first time that happened. Loving it.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Off Topic, how much does Location affect battery life(not actually navigating, simply leaving GPS on for geotagging photos and such)? Is it fine to just leave it on(in battery life terms)?

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
ATIV S. Start at 100% (this is important for some reason). After 6 hours, still 100%.
1. Idle at night
2. Mobile Data on. Receiving a couple of emails but not looked at it.
Everything else off (location, Wifi, Bluetooth). Only background tasks, if you can call that, would be Whatsapp, Wechat and Skype which don't seem to consume any power anyway.

If starting off not at 100%, same setting, probably 0.5% per hour. With both Wifi & Mobile Data on, about 1%/hr.

Last edited:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I ended up only getting 4 hours of sleep and thus only 4 hours of data collection last night, so I'm not going to formally take pictures and notes of this one, but it *looks* like glance actually does more than a significant number on performance... what a pity.
Glance: -6%/hr
No glance: bouncing between -2%/hr and -4%/hr. I only collected 10 points of data, 5 points were at -2%/hr, 3 points were at -3%/hr, 1 point of -1%/hr and 1 point of -4%/hr.

Until I collect more data, it looks like glance is a serious battery drain :(
Not sure if I'm willing to give it up though :p I have 3 spare batteries for my 820

edit- I'm going to dig up my other 820 with broken digitizer and test its drain with cellular off.
edit2- The broken digitizer has a dead spot in the middle of the screen, so I literally cannot type my password into the developer preview thing nor can I turn on glance... lol. Also backups are off so it doesn't screw with my current phone's backup. I hard reset and uninstalled everything that could be uninstalled, installed the battery app, and now time will tell...
edit3- huh. 15 hours later and the battery is still supposedly at 100%. However the battery app wasn't collecting any data during this time, so rebooted the phone, and I'm beginning to suspect it isn't reading the battery right.
edit4- With no sim card, no apps, GDR2 amber, airplane mode, etc... -0.35%/hr. Wow!

Last edited:

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
If I remember correctly (which means i could be wrong), my old Symbian N8 which has something like Glance out-of-the-box showing Clock has a statement saying to switch if off if saving battery is paramount.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
UPDATED ORIGINAL POST

Wifi is apparently a HUGE drain. The only two changes I made were to uninstall "today's word" app, and turn off wifi.

Average drain was -1.30%/hr over 32 points of data, with an estimated life of 3 days and 5 hours.

Again, I cannot stress how awesome enless soft's battery app is. No other app lets you see stats and averages *over a user defined time period*,

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Today's update is a little inconsistent, sorry.

I turned off 'tap and send' but also left wifi off. Tonight I'll leave wifi on while tap and send is off.
If everything else under the hood is consistently draining battery across all my tests, then it does look like "tap and send" has an appreciable drain.

Today's idle drain was -0.74%/hr, estimated life 5 days 15 hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon