Wp 2014!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately your opinion doesn't have much to do with reality. Even the reported features of WP8 .1 are not going to give it a functional advantage over iOS and Android, and certainly no compelling reason to give current users to switch.

So your opinion matters? Lol, you really think an apple ****** would switch to windows phone, ever?

If you don't like WP, then just leave, it's cool.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately your opinion doesn't have much to do with reality. Even the reported features of WP8 .1 are not going to give it a functional advantage over iOS and Android, and certainly no compelling reason to give current users to switch.

Spoken like a scared Android user. Windows Phone is fresh new efficient and compelling. We are getting updates to the OS and we are growing in market share. Windows Phone has a long way to go to beet out the big two but as WP bears it fresh face Android and IOS continue to get stale.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Spoken like a scared Android user. Windows Phone is fresh new efficient and compelling. We are getting updates to the OS and we are growing in market share. Windows Phone has a long way to go to beet out the big two but as WP bears it fresh face Android and IOS continue to get stale.

Who's scared? :)

Actually you are correct. I am a scared Android user. I am an Android user, and I'm also scared that WP is not going to make headway like I'd hoped. I use both currently, but Android is my daily driver because to me it is superior at this point. If you've read my previous posts, you'll know that I jumped feet first to WP, twice, but retreated because it didn't fulfill my needs in a smartphone. I'm still hoping that will happen sometime.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Who's scared? :)

Actually you are correct. I am a scared Android user. I am an Android user, and I'm also scared that WP is not going to make headway like I'd hoped. I use both currently, but Android is my daily driver because to me it is superior at this point. If you've read my previous posts, you'll know that I jumped feet first to WP, twice, but retreated because it didn't fulfill my needs in a smartphone. I'm still hoping that will happen sometime.

Then put on your seat belt and hold on tight. Its going to get crazy real soon. The only thing I am worried about is how long it will take Microsoft and Nokia to completely merge. This could cause some lag in device integration. Once that is done.... WOW! Lets review this thread again around Christmas time this year... Can you say Lumina-Surface?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Then put on your seat belt and hold on tight. Its going to get crazy real soon. The only thing I am worried about is how long it will take Microsoft and Nokia to completely merge. This could cause some lag in device integration. Once that is done.... WOW! Lets review this thread again around Christmas time this year... Can you say Lumina-Surface?

I hope you're right, but I'm not so optimistic. After 3+ years on the market, WP has yet to break 5% worldwide market share. But hey, we can hope!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the lag, from the stories here on WPC, Nokia and Microsoft have actually had it pretty cozy together, just with a little lag due to being separate. Maybe, when all of this is set in stone, the Lumia line will actually strive further with more phones coming out, faster. Little bit of wishful thinking, sure, but still a possibility. :D

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think the main problem with these types of threads is a simple matter of perspective.

What did WP need in 2010? A launch, and a few buyers. There were so few apps/tools that I have always looked at it as a "soft start", with MS testing out the Metro UI in the real world. Pretty much succeeded, as the bar was pretty low. They got a ton of press and a bunch of really eye-catching devices launched.

What did WP need in 2011? Succesful updates (NODO, Mango, Tango) and increased awareness. Again, mostly succesful. The Nodo (cut &paste) update was pretty rough, but the Mango update was pretty nice. Unfortunately, the fact WP was being outsold by Win Mobile and that MS was making more money off of Andriod royalties were black eyes.

What did WP beed in 2012? Nokia. Badly. They needed a worldwide partner to hold the WP banner high. Until Nokia took this bull by the horns and force MS to react (forcing the "Tango" adjustments which allowed low end devices, Nokia producing their own apps and being the driving force behind a bunch of games and support coming over), WP was a after thought and a niche market. Nokia kicked things into high gear and made WP respected.

What did WP need last year? WP 8 to be the upgrade worthy of leaving WP 7 behind. And, it was. HTC and Nokia killed it with their lines at launch and the addition of the L1020 turned heads and gave WP and Nokia some outstanding press. MS turned the corner in the world of mobile and finally gained a measure of respect, and the 3 upgrades released during the year along with MS promising a year and a half support for their OS got them in 3rd place and above 10% in a few markets (God Bless you, L520). It was a success and the best year yet.

So, as I ramble, what does WP need in 2014??

-Intergrate Nokia hardware and- way more important-DO NOT LOSE MOMENTUM OR THE NOKIA EMPLOYEES. MS needs those engineers and developers in a bad way.
-Keep the other OEM's and find a way to support thier devices better. HTC, Samsung, Sony, and whatever coalition of the willing they can find. WP is only better off with more creative minds building devices.
-Push ahead to 10% sales worldwide. WP most likely can't get there in 2014, but there is zero excuse not to get close.
-Better enterprise adoption and tools. Vital. Stinking vital. (Pencil this one in for Windows 8 as well.)
-WP 8.1 needs to wow us. We know the hardware will, just based on the L1520. But the update needs to put WP in the same league as Andriod and iOS, even if it is still behind, and needs more unique selling points like thr Rooms and Kids Corner. A little refresh on the Metro UI needs done as well. A lot of reviews and sites are starting to attach "stale" onto the home screen layout. A little pizzaz wouldn't hurt.

Do I think WP can nail all this in 2014? Yep. I think every item listed is realistic. Do they need to beat Apple and Google? No, they do not. More importantly: They plain can't yet. Not a prayer. Too much mind share is given those two OS's. But WP doesn't need to beat them for 2014 to rock for our favorite OS.

2014 could very well be a great year. The year to beat all years. Until 2015, of course....

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I think. WP8.1 will bring a lot of features compared to the previous releases.

And I think we can finally compare WP with other rival OSs when the update arrives. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes I agree that is many of the reason why many like myself are migrating to WP8. This is going to be a very interesting year to watch WP8 grow drastically.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon