Complete newbie here: Push notifications on wp8

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello there planning to switch from iPhone to wp8,want to know how push notifications work in wp8 and also ur personal experience with it?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Thumbs

Cortimi

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Really depends on the app. Most that I have used are very unreliable (Hotmail, linked inbox, and Skype). Some apps have very reliable live tiles however, such as Bing News and WPCentral.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Really depends on the app. Most that I have used are very unreliable (Hotmail, linked inbox, and Skype). Some apps have very reliable live tiles however, such as Bing News and WPCentral.

Emails are unreliable REALLY!?! These are direct push and will be instant. You should check your settings and make sure you've set your push to small time or have set it to pull as items arrive.

DJ FatCat

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Emails are unreliable REALLY!?! These are direct push and will be instant. You should check your settings and make sure you've set your push to small time or have set it to pull as items arrive.

I can confirm it.
Also, I don't agree that Skype is unreliable. I use Skype on my Lumia 920 for a year and push notifications work fine even with EDGE connection.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Emails are not unreliable, especially if you have your settings correct. You can set most emails, except POP and IMAP to push and get them almost immediately. However, if you are trying to run POP through outlook.com or gmail, it will only come in whenever those sites go out and get your pop mail. For example, if you have user@outlook.com, and someone sends you an email, it will come in immediately. If you have user@comcast.net set up as a linked account in outlook.com, outlook may only check for new pop messages every 20 minutes (can vary). When it finds one, it will pull it in and then you will get it on your phone.

As far as notifications on the other apps, some are good and some are bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon