PC, nor the phone, see downloaded video files

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's getting hard to defend some of the WP ludicrous flaws and solutions. I've downloaded a video from myTube, it is only playable from myTube, it does not show up in "music + videos", NOR when i connect it to PC. I thought it's something to do with myTube, tried GetThemAll, it downloads .MP4 files, nowhere to be found on the phone and on the PC.. What the hell.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It's getting hard to defend some of the WP ludicrous flaws and solutions. I've downloaded a video from myTube, it is only playable from myTube, it does not show up in "music + videos", NOR when i connect it to PC. I thought it's something to do with myTube, tried GetThemAll, it downloads .MP4 files, nowhere to be found on the phone and on the PC.. What the hell.

It only plays back in myTube because that was the app used to download it and that's by design. WP apps are sandboxed which means that apps can't access each others data!!

Your PC won't see those files because they are in isolated storage and users have no access to it.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
the extension being mp3 is caused by another os limitation. Developers are forced to do such a workaround to enable file download.

Only thing you could do is connect to pc afterwards and change the filename into the correct extension.

Imo, that isolated storage is what's gonna kill Windows Phone in the end (unless they change that, but ain't gonna happen).

The kind of workarounds we are forced to do to accomplish very basic "needs" are plain rediculus anno 2014.
In that regard WP was, still is, and always will be...a joke.

Just an opinion though, but a very logical one.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
the extension being mp3 is caused by another os limitation. Developers are forced to do such a workaround to enable file download.

Only thing you could do is connect to pc afterwards and change the filename into the correct extension.

Imo, that isolated storage is what's gonna kill Windows Phone in the end (unless they change that, but ain't gonna happen).

The kind of workarounds we are forced to do to accomplish very basic "needs" are plain rediculus anno 2014.
In that regard WP was, still is, and always will be...a joke.

Just an opinion though, but a very logical one.

Unless you download the video through a PC first and transfer it to the phone!!

Storage on the iPhone is isolated as well and look how much of a joke the iPhone is!!

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you download the video through a PC first and transfer it to the phone!!

Storage on the iPhone is isolated as well and look how much of a joke the iPhone is!!

Lol, yes off course, there is that option.
But say you dl something on the road with the phone (via file downloader)...then you are forced to connect it to the pc to change the extension, or upload it to the cloud first and then dl again on pc and change extension...

I can understand lots of ppl wanting to avoid using the pc too much for such trivial things.

It all seems very silly to me, all those rediculus workarounds to get passed these limitations.
And they seem to get worse, not better.

And as much as I hate iOS, I have to admit that the iPhone scores way better on so many levels. It does have isolated storage, but still the platform doesn't suffer the ailments that suffer on WP because of that isolated storage, and most features that are supposed to work on iOS do actually work much better and efficiently. It is just common sense, and it is no use to defend a platform that is clearly not (yet?) on par in various departments...I also think it is not fair calling the iPhone a joke when it clearly isn't. I hate iPhones, but still I'm not afraid to admit it does have the edge on WP in most departments. I'll never buy one, but do play around with them regularly, so I have experienced it for myself enough to notice the difference in user experience.

The thing I do hate about iPhones is their rediculously high price when considering the fragile build quality. Drop an iPhone and it is probably done for. That is why I refuse to ever buy one, and rather stick with an incomplete platform (cause that is what WP is...incomplete).
But they do NOT have the issues that still kills WP, and at least they do have their music player high up there, which imo is still the most important thing on a cell phone besides calling and taking pictures. MS and Nokia do exactly nothing to get the mp3-player the way it should be.

Again it is just my own user experience, so it may or may not resonate with your own opinion(s)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes