gmail IM? what is the best way?

Jacob F

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
When I just got my phone a couple weeks ago, and I started connecting all my accounts, I am sure it said something about being able to chat with your contacts from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. But I find no way to do that. Is there a standalone app? I read that there was gChat, but that it was getting shut down by Google.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
The best I've found is IM+. It's not ideal, but frankly there's not really much choice. Unfortunately Google has switched to a proprietary chat system with Hangouts so IM+ (and other 3rd party Google Hangouts apps) are not able to utilize all the new features. That is, you cannot group chat, send pictures, or do video calls.

For group chats, you're just outta luck. For sharing pics, I have taken to auto-uploading to OneDrive, then going to the app, selecting the photo, and copying the share URL. You can then paste it into an IM+ conversation. Not ideal...but again, no choice until Google makes a Hangouts app (don't hold your breath). As for video calls...you'll have to get your friends to switch to something else like Skype.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes