Need Help. Zune and Phone not Updating Each other with PodCasts

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Help.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, if I'm missing an area in the software for Zune or my Arrive(Mango/Sprint) or if I'm expecting too much.

I like Podcasts. I subscribe to quite a few. Many of them I managed to find with Zune after I moved over to WP7 and subscribed to them when I moved away from iTunes. Now, as I scan through Marketplace on my phone from time to time, I come across another podcast I'm interested in and subscribe to it on my phone. This is where the problem comes in.

When I subscribe to a Podcast on my phone, it doesn't show up in Zune. I have many more Podcast subscriptions on my phone than show up in Zune. Is there an option I am missing? Is the phone and software not designed to recognize these types of changes?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks ahead.

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
When you subscribe to a podcast on your phone, it goes straight your phone and bypasses the software. Any subscriptions made from your phone DO NOT carry over automatically through Zune software.

Any subscriptions handled through Zune software will sync to your phone when you sync (even wirelessly).

So, in short, subscriptions made from the phone are handled separately than on the software.

If anything subscribed through the Zune software isn't syncing, connect it using the USB cable, wait for it to sync, then highlight the podcasts in your collection, and simply drag them into the phone icon on the bottom right.

Don't worry, we've all had this problem before and hopefully it will be better implemented in the next big OS update. It was a lot of work for them to include podcasts on the marketplace and were meant for 1-off episodes to try one out. The subscription ability is there for people who want to use it and don't want to use the Zune software, but it does throw those like us, who want to use both, off a little bit at first.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
OK. Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll have to go through and compare/contrast my phone subscriptions to my Zune so I can uninstall and get everything running through Zune. I'll know better from now on.

This really isn't a plus in my book towards this unit. I wonder if iTunes has/had this problem when they first started out?

Thanks Again for the info.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
OK. Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll have to go through and compare/contrast my phone subscriptions to my Zune so I can uninstall and get everything running through Zune. I'll know better from now on.

This really isn't a plus in my book towards this unit. I wonder if iTunes has/had this problem when they first started out?

Thanks Again for the info.
No, it didn't. Then again, when iTunes started out, and for the next 10 years after that, it required you to plug in your device to get podcasts.

So, actually, I guess it did have this problem.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think about that. They had a number of years to work the kinks out with all the iPods before they came out with the iPhone so I guess for them, it was a smother transition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon