NewsSpot vs Wonder Reader

djncanada1

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have been using Wonder Reader for a while.

Recently, WP Central had a positive review of NewsSpot.

I am wondering if anyone has used both Goggle Reader apps and can provide opinion if NewsSpot is a better Google reader client than Wonder Reader?

Thank You in advance and Happy Holidays

djncanada1

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It's really about personal taste, only you can decide which is best. I'm personally a fan of NextGen Reader.
All 3 are great apps.

zedmartinez

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit biased, since I help with the logo work and graphics for NewsSpot, but, I started helping with those because back when I tried the first release of it I was impressed with how fast it was compared to Wonder and how may more settings options the developer provided. I wated to help it do better in the marketplace for entirely selfish reasons, I wanted to see it continue to be developed. Wonder is a good, solid RSS and was the first one on the market with a solid feature set, but I've been using NewsSpot for about a year now and there isn't anything I want it to do that it can't, and I know the dev spends a lot of time keeping up with the competition and making sure it has all the features that people are considering must-haves, and forever worrying about optimizing how it actually sets about doing those. he's a good guy, ad it's a good app, but as mentioned, it's all down to your taste. Give both of their trials a spin and see which one fits what you need the best, that's what matters most.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally I go with NewsSpot because it is slightly faster. Feature-wise they're both pretty complete, and as others have said, it's just down to taste.

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi there, this is the developer of NewsSpot writing. If you don't mind I'd like to add some (biased :wink: ) information about the differences between NewsSpot and Wonder Reader:

Wonder uses an always online model for accessing Google Reader, i.e. it only downloads what is needed for the current view. Actually this is quite nice if you’re always online (obviously), since then it might be faster than NewsSpot, especially if you have a lot of articles. However, NewsSpot has a full two-way sync engine, i.e. you sync once and then you have the articles and images on your phone and you don’t have to care about signal strength or your data plan anymore. Plus, searching your articles becomes quite snappy this way; it almost works like the built in email app, just try it.
On the plus side for Wonder I would say is sharing and notes in Google Reader, an API which is not officially supported by Google anymore. For NewsSpot I would claim that it has the best sharing and saving options, with e.g. Evernote, Delicious, Diigo besides the ones that are always present (like Twitter, Facebook, Pocket and Instapaper).

Eventually I’d like to see people testing the available options and going for their favorite then. I know NewsSpot was a bit late to the party, but like zedmartinez said, I’m working hard on getting this thing better, and with the recent versions I’m happy to seeing more and more people saying it has become a competitive choice.

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, it certainly takes some storage space and depends on how many articles being synced and whether images are cached or not. For the former, I would say on average one article takes 1 to 10 KB, i.e. 1000 articles are 1 to 10 MB. As for the images, it really depends on their size and how many of them your feeds tend to have, so it’s difficult to say. However, one image is by far for expensive in terms of memory than plain text, ranging from 10KB to 1000KB, i.e. 10MB to 1GB for 1000 articles.
However, I assure you NewsSpot is quite good in cleaning storage up when articles are not synced anymore. And if you still think it takes to much memory, you can use the clear-cache button (in settings -> advanced) to clear up all memory.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I was switching between Newsspot, NextGen, Wonder Reader (and a few others..) Generally I liked NextGen better, but the latest update of Newsspot was great. However, Weave has also been upgraded and it is just awesome now. Only downside (and it could be a deal breaker) is that is not syncing with google but you can import the feeds You have there.

Now for me that's an upside because I wanted for a long time to have a good RSS reader that was independent from Google (I read all my news from my phone anyway)
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon