IM+ doesn't work with Google Hangouts OR Gtalk

stefan_

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Just want to warn everyone on this... I had a bit of a bonehead move where I purchased this app without testing it. But this app does not even remember your Google account information. It doesn't let you actually open a chat with a Gtalk user. It DOES let you receive Hangouts messages but it's very buggy; as in you'll get toast notifications but your account is likely broken in the app.

Pretty much useless if you bought it for Hangouts. Buyer beware.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Weird, it works fine for me.
Isn't there a free version too?

Not full Hangouts, but I can't complain.

Have you tried talking to Shape? They aren't a newcomer to mobile chat stuff by a long shot.
Or you can talk to MS support if that doesn't help, maybe secure a refund.

stefan_

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Really? Am I making the mistake of assuming all builds are the same for Windows phones? I'm in 8.1 on a Blue Win HD LTE. Every time I open the app, I get a warning message that the app encountered a problem "last time". Then, I can add a Google account, and messages will come in. But I cannot respond.

So you're saying, even if those messages are coming to you from hangouts, you can respond? Can you initiate chats with hangouts users via the Gtalk protocol?

Thanks for the insight. I've emailed Shape.

Also.. yes there is a free version. I'm an ***** and bought the Pro version sight unseen because I hate ads.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It should be the same across the board, but I'm sure there's other factors. Like sometimes my 920 is having a bad day. Something is definitely up though if something's going wrong that much.

Call me dispensary of the obvious, but have you reinstalled the app and/or restarted the phone?

I used to use it a lot to chat with my now ex-SO and while fancier things like stickers naturally didn't work, the core functionality was there. Sending, receiving (notifications though sometimes worked a bit too well for me), even the typing... indicator. Doesn't tell me anything's going wrong, or whatever.

I haven't noticed any issues with her and this other friend. Both of which use the Hangouts app. (the former had an iPod touch, the latter has an HTC One)
So there's definitely some variable resulting in our different experiences.
If anyone knows whats going wrong, its the devs.
I remember them selling an IM+ app for Palm OS, so they've been around a while.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
IM+ has been working perfectly for me with google chat for a long time, years probably. The only thing it doesn't do is group chats. Sorry you're having problems. Did you email the developers?

stefan_

May 8, 2015
Visit site
It should be the same across the board, but I'm sure there's other factors. Like sometimes my 920 is having a bad day. Something is definitely up though if something's going wrong that much.

Call me dispensary of the obvious, but have you reinstalled the app and/or restarted the phone?

I used to use it a lot to chat with my now ex-SO and while fancier things like stickers naturally didn't work, the core functionality was there. Sending, receiving (notifications though sometimes worked a bit too well for me), even the typing... indicator. Doesn't tell me anything's going wrong, or whatever.

I haven't noticed any issues with her and this other friend. Both of which use the Hangouts app. (the former had an iPod touch, the latter has an HTC One)
So there's definitely some variable resulting in our different experiences.
If anyone knows whats going wrong, its the devs.
I remember them selling an IM+ app for Palm OS, so they've been around a while.
Wow. Ok, very interesting. I did restart and reinstall. I also joined the WP10 preview to get some early updates to 8.1.. no luck.

stefan_

May 8, 2015
Visit site
IM+ has been working perfectly for me with google chat for a long time, years probably. The only thing it doesn't do is group chats. Sorry you're having problems. Did you email the developers?
Yes, I did. Haven't heard back yet. But I'm completely at a loss now as to what's going on here. It just seems so buggy. Are there any typical fixes for compatibility issues on WP8.1?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh no not the Insider program!
It's more dangerous there!

There aren't any compatibility things that can be done since there shouldn't be/usually isn't a need like on Windows PCs. I'm not sure what to do other than wait for a response.

stefan_

May 8, 2015
Visit site
No response from Shape. Has anyone else dealt with these guys before? Really need to get this working. Would be nice given I paid for it :/

Are there any restrictions on what parts of the phone certain apps can write to? If so, can I change that? I feel like it's a write permissions issue if nobody else has a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes