My switch to WP8 on the Lumia (for those still on the fence)

cdrichet

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, this is my first post! I've been lurking in these forums the last couple weeks and I enjoyed that everyone is all about WP8 and not bashing devices like in Android and Apple forums. My comments are for those still on the fence of making the switch from the iphone in particular, but also form any device.

I was all over the place with deciding on colors for my Lumia, knowing that I was definitely not going to get a black phone with all these great color options (especially after having a black iPhone for years). I went into my local AT&T store last night, saw the red, black, white phones and ended up leaving with a black...haha. This goes to show you how you truly can't make a decision no matter how many YouTube videos and images you look at on the internet. I thought I wanted the white, but realized it just wasn't for me when I saw it in person.

Screen size: Lumia has an amazing screen coming form a 3.5" iPhone screen that I've used for years (3gs and the 4 versions of iphone). I haven't tried it with gloves on yet, but it's definitely very sensitive to light touches. I didn't go with the Samsung Galaxy S3 as an option when switching phone because of its dim screen at highest setting, which was very noticeable when compared to the HTC One X. The 4.5" screen on the Lumia I felt was comparable to the One X as it was and crisp, vivid and bright, so it won me over.

Size/weight: I'm shorter and have smaller hands and really thought this was going to be an issue after all the reviews I read. When I picked it up in the store, I noticed it was larger and heavier, but not enough to deter me from its awesomeness. Today, I wore my more "form fiting" jeans and the phone really didn't feel any more bulky/heavy then my iphone in its case. This is how I know I will NOT be returning the device for size reasons. I'm able to reach almost all of the screen when holding it in one hand, but is more comfortable using both.

Battery: Living in an LTE area and unplugging the device at 8:01am this morning, I was left with 44% charge at 6:10pm after moderate use with significant on-screen time today. I am impressed compared to my iphohne, especially since this phone is using LTE and has a larger screen. I made one 5 minute call today, used the internet mostly on LTE (wifi for about a half hour), downloaded a couple apps, used Facebook, Twitter, news and constantly was playing with the device (settings and whatever else wasted time). Also, I had the screen brightness set to medium. I should mention I was careful with how I set up apps and live tiles, setting most to update at the least frequent intervals as I know from my brief time with Android that it can really hog battery life.

I feel like I could write a book comparing everything, but these were the major concerns I had that all worked out for the better for me. I love the WP8 OS and do miss a few convenience factors from iOS, such as the "Do Not Disturb" night mode, but it definitely felt like an upgrade.

I hope this helps some people!

lkbig

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been lurking here for a while as well. As soon as my contract with Verizon is up, I'll be picking a 920 up for myself. Making the switch from Android. I used to really

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

lkbig

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
...into rooting and stuff. I've since realized I don't need all that and want a phone that works. WP 8 looks like the thing for me.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
welcome all of you guys!!!!. I'm myself ordering a 8S. since I can't fit big phones in my hands and I have a budget. so the 8S is for me

ciscog33k

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I also switched from an iPhone to a Lumia 920. I played with the lumia as well as a galaxy s3 for about an hour each, and honestly the windows gui is just so much more elegant and I absolutely love the phone itself. Like the OP, I wanted a color other than black, but Rogers only offered black so I was stuck with that as the only choice. Still, it's a nice black and the matte finish is fantastic. It may also be a better long-term choice since you can always change the accent colors if you get sick of how the phone looks, but if you get sick of a yellow phone, it's a lot harder to change that.

The only thing I'd change about the phone itself is to add an LED to let you know there are messages like on BB.

For Windows Phone 8 itself, I have the same common criticisms as everyone else. There needs to be a night mode and they need to add vpn, otherwise it's just about perfect.

azasadny

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yep, this is my 1st Nokia and I switched from an iPhone 3GS when my contract was up. I had a Windows phone several years ago (Motorola Q) and it was terrible, but Win8 is so different I decided to give it another chance and I'm glad I did. I'm having the "rapid battery discharge" issue now (intermittently) but I'll be patient and hope it gets resolved sooner rather than ;ater. I love the phone and the screen!

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
made the switch from iphone. and i loving it! there is only one regret i got from making the switch and that is instagram. but i heard that windows phone will have that at the end of year soon hopefully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon