How hot is your Lumia 920? Question and my personal experience

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really surprised that mine heats up. I've not gone for a replacement, and mine has the issues listed:

Creaking at top left (it's by the sim tray, totally expected.)
Battery Drain (Solved through discharging. I can usually last about 12 hours now with heavy surfing and about an hour of gaming. Realtively normal?)
And now with the heat issue. Mine tends to get hot when I game and surf (expected, especially when I multitask) but it gets warm to hot when I charge it. I don't see this as a big issue, but if it led to long term problems, should I risk it get a replacement?

I really don't want to since the chances of getting a lemon are pretty large, but is this normal?

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've my lumia 920 (white) for about two weeks and from yesterday it started to be really warm when talking after couple of minutes above camera and even when i'm listening to music offline from my collection. Even when surfing through menu its getting warmer. I've NFC, WI-FI, Bluetooth turned off ,running on 3G network and only weather app running in background. Its starting to be really hot when surfing web. I dont have problems with the battery tho.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets pretty warm when I start surfing the web especially using the FML app or BoardExpress Pro (THough more slowly then FML) as for battery life it seems like it has largely stabilized to around what my 900 was maybe a bit better. On average when I get home from work with a day of no usage I have about 65-70% when I use it more often by the end of the day its 30%.

But I do notice a heat thing. To be honest I do not think its a Nokia thing I actually think its a bug with Windows Phone 8 that for whatever reason its throttling app CPU usage to maximum after all that is what is generating the heat. I do notice the apps having the most issues are non-updated apps so maybe that's the problem? Whatever Windows 8 does to run Windows 7 apps could be causing high CPU usage.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I really hope it's a SW issue like you said. For about a week now I could use my phone and it would last about 15 hours with moderate usage. I unplugged my L920 today at 6:00 (100%), and the idle drain was ridiculous. I didn't use it at school at all, and I still found myself with a whoppoing 5% battery left. There were also several times during the day when my pocket would suddenly get really warm, and it would be the phone. WITHOUT use! Aside from the whole SW issue i think this may have something to do with LTE connecting as well, since my phone barely gets any connection at all.

Can anyone offer a remedy for this? Perhaps an update that's coming soon?

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I hope so becouse its really strange that after two weeks of normal using the phone it started to get warmer a lot faster. There was an update to info+addons yesterday also and i thinking that they've messed something with that. This thing is always running in the bacground without any way to turn that off.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I really hope it's a SW issue like you said. For about a week now I could use my phone and it would last about 15 hours with moderate usage. I unplugged my L920 today at 6:00 (100%), and the idle drain was ridiculous. I didn't use it at school at all, and I still found myself with a whoppoing 5% battery left. There were also several times during the day when my pocket would suddenly get really warm, and it would be the phone. WITHOUT use! Aside from the whole SW issue i think this may have something to do with LTE connecting as well, since my phone barely gets any connection at all.

Can anyone offer a remedy for this? Perhaps an update that's coming soon?

I think you will see a lot of standard remedies people will say on how they improved it doing this or turning off that. From what I can tell its really hit or miss. I know my first few days with the phone the battery life was really out of whack even when I wasn't using it. The time estimate is terrible and the percentage takes a few cycles before I think it calibrates properly so keep that in mind. As for the low signal issues I am on LTE but my first week i was on 4G because AT&T forgot to reprovision my LTE. I haven't noticed a substantial difference between LTE or 4G so far so I don't think its that .

On my Lumia 900 (I haven't tried this with my 920) I notice when I would go to a particular movie theater where my signal was terrible my battery would be practically dead by the time I left so I wouldn't be surprised if the low signal was the issue in YOUR particular case. That would be the case regardless of the phone. My iPhone in low signal areas had the same issue though not as drastic for whatever reason.

As for an update coming soon I am sure its being looked at by both Nokia Microsoft and probably even HTC since I have heard people reporting similar issues on the 8X as well, so once they figure out the problem I am sure it will be addressed. Like I said I suspect its a software issue as its the cores heating up so something is throttling them up and its likely to be the software more then the hardware so at least in that case a SW fix SHOULD fix it.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I had a 920 for fourteen days. All was well when I was near home and doing usual tasks, light browsing and what not. Never had battery issues. However, I went to my headquarters located in another Province, and in a city with LTE and the heat issue got ridiculous. Twice I even had to put the phone down. I was running it "hard" however I also did the same tasks with my 900, and before that 710 without concern. So, back to Rogers she went.They did not have any to replace it with so I will either wait for more 920s, or maybe go to the ATIV S. I fired up the 900 again as my personal device. Thank goodness I hadn't sold it!

This reminded me that my 900 also had issues when I bought it with data, and internet sharing has not worked on it in months. I have a lot of patience, particularly as an early adopter, but I think it may be the end of Nokia and I. Ironically my almost-free 710 was the most reliable device. Of course, it also did a lot less lol.

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yay now the battery also is draining faster ... Two weeks without problem,now from past two days heat problems and from today battery is dying a lot faster (30% of battery was eaten in standby doing nothing in 5 hours). Dont know whats going on. I was android/ios user before and never got this kind of problems.

markfirst

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My first red 920 used to get quite warm. got a replacement yesterday and this one is getting warm as well. no apps running in background.

stoltenbergen

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
My lumia 920 (portico) becomes very warm while playing Final Fantasy. It doesn't hurt, but it makes you want to put the phone down, because it just doesn't seem right.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I think this is more of an app issue than a 920 issue. For instance I can play video through xbox music & video and the phone does not heat up at all - quite cool in fact. I then use PLEX to play video and the phone is hot in less than 30 seconds.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
As soon as 3G/4G is in use, the phone starts cooking. Various reports claims that this is a CPU bug, and not the phone itslef, and that GDR2/Blue is set to
fix this issue.

Romil Bhansali

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been loving the Lumia 920.

My battery is kinda above average. It lasts me around 15 -16 hours. i remove it from charging at 6 in the morning. An hour and a half of music, few calls. very frequent whatsapp (that ruddy battery guzzler), internet surfing, 9gag and some fiddling with the phone itself. When I put it to charge again at around 830ish in the evening, it just enters the battery saver mode. So its safe to say that if i let it run, it will run another 3 hours.

Apps that make my phone hot as an igneous rock:

9gag. I think its because of the data transmission that makes it hot. If I use the app for around 10-15 minutes, I don't like putting the phone in my pocket anymore.
Skype: Obvious and understandable since you use so many features of the phone together. I've done a 90 minute video Skype call on the phone. It does heat up fairly quickly. But I noticed that after a point it does not increase. It stops there.
Maps and Navigation (!!): Why!! So quick!! I live in Singapore and have downloaded the Singapore maps. even searching and getting directions will heat up the phone! Its ridiculous and sad!
Whatsapp: Just a little warm. But I have a strong feeling that if you use an app regularly, the phone heats up lesser. Same thing happened with 9gag. I don't know if you guys have noticed this.

Music, phone calls, other apps have no effect. The phone is really cool to touch.

If anyone has addressed their heating issue apart from getting a replacement, do post here and let us know.

teng_m

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i noticed that gps of the phone runs real hot when it is looking for satellite. It ate up 20% of my battery when i had data off, turn location on and put it inside my pocket. that was just 15mins in my picket mind you.
skype, im+, nimbuzz etc when connected to using gprs gets really hot especially when you keep messaging people all the time. the phone radio is always sending and waiting for data every split second.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I had an abnormally hot phone, battery died fast. My replacement has never gotten nearly as hot and battery life is much better. Definitely a bad batch out there

GearDoGi

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
My lumia 920 overheats very much and causes relative huge battery drainage after the first 10mins of gaming.(Angry Birds,Fruit Ninja etc.)
On idle it cools slowly and everything is ok.
I had the same issue with my HTC 8X and was the main reason to change it for Lumia 920 but the problem seems absolutly the same so my guess is that the OS is buggy as hell and needs optimization and fixes also firmware update-fixes are needed and of course as much as possible optimization of the apps and games to run perfectly on WP platform without needing huge amounts of CPU and RAM resources!

WP 925_5

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Dead thread, however I recently got a 925. Noticed how hot it can get. Actually looking over the schematic from Nokia, the issue tends to be clear. IPhones aren't loaded down with powerful CPU and gpu, also screen size and depth of it plays a role. Android has quick Cpu however, root the phone and remove the throttle of the Linux. They tend to heat up so much they shut off. I believe the metal decor plays a slight role in heat dissipation. Also if Nokia has no CPU throttle, think about the last time you saw a computer run without a fan. And I run the new 8.1 windows and it still heats up im wondering if a layer of diamond thermal compound will help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes